“Good but not excellent”

Ranked #33 of 118 Hotels in Birmingham
Nottingham
“Good but not excellent”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 March 2014 via mobile

Very comfortable and attentive polite and welcoming staff, but very very expensive bar prices (peroni over £5/pint, house wine nearly £9/glass).
Room on 11th floor was comfortable, but with the only bathroom light above the mirror, the darkly tiled shower cubicle was positively gloomy and dingy. My welcome letter invited me to use the Club Room on the 11th floor, but embarrassingly, my room key would not open the glass door. The hostess inside did not come to my rescue!
My normal choice of hotel is Marriott brand and this experience has not changed my preference.

Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
Daksha_Mistry, Guest Relations Manager at Crowne Plaza Birmingham City Centre, responded to this review, 23 April 2014
Dear TimKNottingham,

Thank you for staying at the Crowne Plaza Birmingham City Centre and for taking the time to write a review. I was pleased to read that you found our staff to be attentive, polite and welcoming and our rooms to be very comfortable. I was however sorry to read that you were not satisfied with the lighting in your bathroom and that your keycard did not allow you to access the Club Lounge. I sincerely apologise for the inconvenience these issues caused you. I have passed on your comments to the relevant department managers to action accordingly. I do hope that you will give us another try and hope to welcome you back in the future.

Kind regards

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (372)
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Tring, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 March 2014

We had booked a one B&B night stay with our 9-year old daughter and we had a twin room (two double beds) for £90.00. Excellent value. It also meant that the child had a whole huge bed to herself while mum and dad squished up in a small (for us) double. She was delighted, we didn't really mind. She had a bath 'up to her nose', wore the bath-robe and enjoyed watching telly in bed. We enjoyed sitting with her in the bar chatting, and drinking wine and beer (us, not her), and we loved being able to sleep in until 9.30am in really comfortable beds, safe in the knowledge that breakfast would still be served until 11.00am, and then filling our boots with a huge full English breakfast, perfectly cooked and very kindly served by the staff. Noisy women coming in from a night out (not the hotel's fault people don't know how to be considerate in a hotel) and the usual city noises, had us a little disturbed through the night, but for a centrally located hotel in the middle of a city, we wouldn't expect anything else.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank LLting
Dear Leigh A,

Thank you for taking the time to review your stay at the Crowne Plaza Birmingham City Centre. I was delighted to read that you found us to be excellent value and that your daughter was also able to enjoy all the facilities and amenities within your bedroom.

I was also pleased to read that you enjoyed breakfast, especially as we serve this until 11.30am on weekends, so guests do not need to worry about getting up early to have this. However, I was sorry to read that your sleep was disrupted by other guests making noise and sincerely apologise for the inconvenience this caused you. I have passed on your comments to the nights team to ensure that floors are being checked on a regular basis.

I hope to welcome you back to the hotel again in the near future.

Swansea, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 March 2014

Just a shame about the view!

I stayed in a room at the rear of the hotel which over looked a disused and rundown office block. Nothing to do with the hotel I know, but it did mean that I kept the curtains closed the whole time I was in my room.

Inside, the hotel is clean, warm and has a very modern feel to it. The room I stayed in was clean with a MASSIVE bed which was very comfortable.

Bar prices seemed a little expensive, but this didn't cause concern as I had been given drinks vouchers at checking for being an IHG Rewards Member.

Overall a nice stay.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
Daksha_Mistry, Guest Relations Manager at Crowne Plaza Birmingham City Centre, responded to this review, 18 April 2014
Dear Whatsagoodname,

Thank you for staying at the Crowne Plaza Birmingham City Centre and for taking the time to write a review. I was very pleased to read that overall you had a nice stay and that you were happy with your clean and warm room. We always want our guests to have a great nights sleep and glad that you found our massive beds to be comfortable.

I look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the near future.

Cannock, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 March 2014 via mobile

We were booked as part of a larger group, we were using the hotel as a base camp to get ready for a black tie event at edgbaston cricket ground which is a 5 minute cab ride away, so the location was bang on for this event.

On arrival the check in was nice an easy and the staff were friendly an polite, we stopped in room 203, the strangest thing was the smell on opening the room door of marijuana :-/ didn't bother complaining.

The room was clean but was looking tired in places, nothing major to complain about though.

The only thing only that was a bit of an issue was that on first glance the shower looked inviting for me and the wife to have a couples moment ;-) but on further inspection we found that the door was missing :-( after talking to the rest of the group this was a common thing.

For a hotel in Central brum and it's location I thought it would have been a lot noisier, but it was surprisingly quiet.

If we ever have to go to edgebaston cricket ground again I would stop here, in fact I would even consider this hotel for a night out down broad street.

Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear Andrew W,

Thank you for your feedback regarding your stay with us. I was pleased to read that you received an efficient check in service from our friendly and polite staff and that you were happy with our location.

I was however sorry to read that there was an unpleasant smell in your room and that the shower not having a door caused you an issue. I sincerely apologise for the inconvenience this caused you, but I have since spoken to our maintenance manager and due to health and safety reasons, all of the shower doors were removed to prevent accidents.

I am glad to read that you would stay with us again and I look forward to welcoming you back.

Warwick, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 March 2014 via mobile

Saw a great show at Birmingham Rep, just a short walk from the hotel. The hotel is well positioned in the city centre, good for shops and canal area, car park immediately outside. Stayed in a Club Room, good value, decent wine in the private room. Bedroom very comfortable and clean, breakfast good quality and plenty of it. Certainly a place we'll go back to.

Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear davidTR,

Thank you for taking the time to review your stay at the Crowne Plaza Birmingham City Centre. I was delighted to read that you were satisfied with all aspects of your stay, especially our rooms, our location, our good quality breakfast and the products and service in the Club Lounge.

I am also pleased to read that you would certainly stay with us again and look forward to welcoming you back.

Cambridge, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 March 2014

Stayed for one night. The check-in was quick, the car parking is excellent and the room was spot on - nice and clean, average-ish view, comfortable and a good temp.

The bathroom was good and well stocked, the shower was excellent, very powerful. The breakfast the following morning was excellent. A big, well stocked selection.

The killer feature for me is the secure parking at the base of the hotel. If you've got a nice car and you need it keeping safe, this is the place to stay! It's about £13 a day.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
Dear Rupert D,

Thank you for staying at the Crowne Plaza Birmingham City Centre and for writing a review. I was delighted to read that you were satisfied with all aspects of your stay, especially with our excellent breakfast, showers and car parking.

I am pleased that you would stay with us again and look forward to welcoming you back.

3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 March 2014

It's concrete. You can see it from some distance but can only get there on foot via flyovers and underpasses. The wifi costs £5 for 24 hours. The décor is tired. The furniture is tired. Breakfast is unexciting. Overall, expensive for what it is.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
Dear Captain_Cook_9876,

Thank you for your feedback regarding your stay with us. I was sorry to read that you were not satisfied with our hotel. We value all feedback that we receive as this allows us the opportunity to improve what we offer to future guests, therefore we will definitely take your comments on board.