“A new experience”

Ranked #36 of 117 Hotels in Birmingham
London, England
“A new experience”
Reviewed 16 April 2014

First time at this hotel. Only criticism was that check-in, was unbelievably slow even though there were very few people waiting. As with so many hotels these days, the lighting in the room left something to be desired. The wardrobe was very small and the coat rail at about 7 feet was ridiculously high.

Otherwise it was comfortable, clean and the staff were pleasant and helpful.

Room Tip: Try a back room if you are concerned about traffic noise.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled solo
Daksha_Mistry, Guest Relations Manager at Crowne Plaza Birmingham City Centre, responded to this review, 24 April 2014
Dear rotaryclive,

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay at the Crowne Plaza Birmingham City Centre. I was pleased to read that you found our hotel to be clean and comfortable with pleasant and helpful staff.

I was however disappointed to read that you had to wait to check in and that you were not happy with the lighting in your room. I have passed on your comments to the relevant managers to action accordingly as your feedback will help us to improve what we offer to future guests.

I do hope that we can welcome you back to our hotel in the near future.

Kind regards

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (382)
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 15 April 2014

I stayed here recently with my sister in law to attend the production of Fiddler on the Roof nearby. As we have stayed at Crowne Plaza hotels before my husband booked this hotel for our over night stay, after checking out reviews on tripadvisor.
To say I was very disappointed is an understatement.
Lots of little things niggled. We'd booked a twin double but were shown to a room with only one bed. A quick phone call down to the desk and a nice young man was dispatched to take us to another room with two double beds. Thank you Adrian.
When we arrived at our new room there were two empty Peroni glasses outside the room. They were still there when we checked out the following afternoon.
When leaving the hotel to go to the theatre I asked for a late check out the following day. Not a problem. Great! Off we went to enjoy the show.
After returning to the hotel I had to call the desk around midnight to ask someone to have a word with the guests having a party in the corridor. Security was dispatched and all was quiet within the half hour. Thank you security.
After a very good nights sleep we went down to breakfast. We had booked and paid for breakfast but to be told repeatedly I wasn't on the list is a little annoying and embarrassing, especially in front of my sister in law, was also getting embarrassed as there were people around us who were also waiting to go for breakfast.
Breakfast was a very nice selection, but don't go down too close to closing time as the food was removed very quickly. I wanted some bread but the board and knife had been cleared away. I asked for a knife and it was brought back, with the bread board by a very polite young woman. I did feel as if I was in their way, which was a well founded feeling as we were asked, with others, to leave the dining area as they needed to clean it! (First time this has EVER happened in all the hotels I've stayed in!) Stunned, we took our drinks and remains of our breakfast into the bar area, as instructed, only to see a member of staff eating in the dining area a little while later!
We went up to the room to collect our bags only to find we can't get in. The key was no longer working. Back down to reception to find out why. "You should have checked out by now," I was told. Explaining I'd asked for an extended checkout the previous evening the young lady, Maria? asked "when" did I get it and "from whom"?! "At 6pm the previous evening, from a nice young man on the end reception desk". She then asked if I need the room until 2pm!?? (I was getting a little attitude here now.) I said we'd be out before 1pm. I'd had enough now & we just wanted to get our bags and leave.
Returning to the room I looked for the comments card to hand in. Unfortunately I found it. I don't know what it had been used for but it was not what you'd expect to find. Returning to reception to check out I handed in the card, blank. I asked to see the manager who turned out to be the young lady who'd given me some attitude about our extended checkout. On seeing the state of the card her attitude definitely changed. I was told someone would call us about our stay and the problems I encountered. No one did. We got an email apologising and a partial refund. I didn't want a this. I wanted to talk to someone about what had happened. I wanted to know why I didn't get what I thought we'd paid for, a relaxing stay in a nice hotel. (This was a birthday treat for my sister in law who'd been really looking forward to it.) Unfortunately that didn't happen. Fortunately the trip wasn't a complete disaster. The show was fantastic, but the hotel really needs to get its act together. Not what I expected from a Crowne Plaza Hotel.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
Dear Maria B,

Thank you for your feedback regarding your recent stay with us. I was disappointed to read that you had experienced some issues with your stay and I sincerely apologise for these. In order to discuss these further with you I would be grateful if you could contact me at guest.relations@cpbhamcity.com. I look forward to hearing from you soon.

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 14 April 2014

Great hotel whilst on business - I stayed here a few times whilst on business.

It's close (walking distance) to the main shopping centers so it's also great for leisure purposes.

The room was very comfortable and had excellent toiletries, consistent with the brand.

The kitchen was very accommodating to my dietary requirements (high protein, low carb).

I did not venture to try the hotel facilities e.g. gym, other

• Stayed May 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank KennelEightyFive
Dear KennelEightyFive,

Thank you for your feedback regarding your stay at the Crowne Plaza Birmingham City Centre. I was delighted to read that you were satisfied with all aspects of your stay, especially our very comfortable rooms with excellent toiletries, our location and with our chefs that were able to accommodate your specific dietary requirements.

I am glad to read that you find us to be a good business hotel and look forward to your next stay with us.

Coventry, United Kingdom
Reviewed 13 April 2014 via mobile

Love this hotel, easily our favourite hotel in Birmingham. Great service & ideal location. Rooms were really big & clean, can't ask for anything else really. The only downside is the price of the drinks but for hotel prices they are the average. All of the staff are so helpful and can't do enough to ensure a great stay, from the check in staff to the concierge. Love this hotel & would highly recommend!

Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
Dear SamGC,

Thank you for taking the time to review your stay at the Crowne Plaza Birmingham City Centre. I was delighted to read that you love our hotel and are easily your favourite in Birmingham. We always aim to consistently provide superior service and accommodation so it is always nice to read when we are getting things right.

I am also pleased to read that you would highly recommend us and look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Edenbridge, United Kingdom
Reviewed 8 April 2014

I have stayed at the Crowne Plaza several times, and usually find the hotel to have excellent standards. As always my room was immaculate, the bed comfortable, and facilities plentiful (large wardrobe, refrigerator, hospitality tray, iron and ironing board, hairdryer, bathrobe, thick towels and toiletries are all provided). The staff, as always were polite and professional, as one would expect for the prices charged.

My gripe with my stay this time is that my room had a particular odour when I entered it, that suggested that someone had only recently checked out, the windows had not been opened for some time, and the room had a sort of musty unclean smell about it suggesting that the previous occupant had recently eaten a meal in there. Also the toiletries have a very masculine scent about them and the overall decor is rather masculine too, as well as being a bit soulless. At a lower price this perhaps would be less of an issue, but at these prices I would expect these little problems to be ironed out.

Would this stop me staying again? No, because my previous experiences have been so much better at this hotel; but if this had been my first visit, it certainly would have been my last.

Room Tip: Park on level 2 of the car park so that you only have to climb one flight of stairs.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
Dear LEMPOTS,

Thank you for staying at the Crowne Plaza Birmingham City Centre and for taking the time to write a review. I am pleased to read that you have stayed with us several times and have found us to have excellent standards. I was however sorry to read that you had experienced an issue with your room on this stay and I apologise for the inconvenience this caused you. For future reference, we do have managers on duty 24 hours to deal with any issues that may arise and on this occasion we may have been able to offer you an alternative room.

I am glad to read that you would stay with us again and look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Kent, United Kingdom
Reviewed 7 April 2014 via mobile

I stayed here for a long weekend with a friend. The room was immaculate and comfortable.

The hotel itself is just a short walk from New Street station and there is a car park right by if needed. It is very close to the city centre which means no worries about finding public transport.

There are plenty of restaurants/pubs/bars within a few minutes walk.

All in all a very good weekend in this hotel.

Stayed March 2014
Dear Gail A,

Thank you for taking the time to review your stay at the Crowne Plaza Birmingham City Centre. I was very pleased to read that you found your room to be immaculate and comfortable and that you were happy with our location. We are within walking distance of New Street Station and the various bars and restaurants that the city centre has to offer.

I am also glad to read that all in all you had a very good weekend and look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Curitiba, PR
Reviewed 5 April 2014 via mobile

Comfortable rooms, very good location and good options of meals. Fair cost. Very pleasant attendantes.
Very good location with possibility to go to good restaurants and pubs even by foot.
Wifi should be free of charge for every guests.

Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
Daksha_Mistry, Guest Relations Manager at Crowne Plaza Birmingham City Centre, responded to this review, 23 April 2014
Dear Alexandre S,

Thank you for your feedback regarding your stay at the Crowne Plaza Birmingham City Centre. I was pleased to read that you were happy with our comfortable rooms, very good location and our good options of meals.

I was also glad to read that you found us to be good value and look forward to your next stay with us.