“Good standard, great location, good value”

Crowne Plaza Birmingham City Centre
Ranked #26 of 118 Hotels in Birmingham
Reviewed 15 June 2014

We booked in to this hotel for my daughters graduation which took place at the Symphony Hall located five minutes walk away. The staff and service were excellent and for the two rooms we had it was great value for money. For those staying to explore all that Birmingham has to offer, the location is great. It should be noted however that the passages to and from Broad Street (the main attraction area) can be dirty, smelly and feel unsafe. The areas immediately surrounding the hotel, particularly what you can see to the front and back, need major renovation. These are no way the fault of the hotel, but are disappointing. Similarly the car park, also not part of the hotel, feels a little uncomfortable. The price of £13.50 for 24 hours is reasonable for City centre.

The breakfast was excellent with a good choice of continental and English breakfast food. The breakfast were particularly helpful. It's cheaper if you book in advance.

Our only problem was that the air conditioning (room 732) was not working properly and it was very warm overnight.

If planning to stay take advantage of the great choice of pillows. Nice touch Crown P.

Overall the hotel is a bit tired but this is only to be expected given its age, the high usage and it's location. Recommended as a good, practical hotel.

Room Tip: Choose your pillows in advance. Overlook the city if you can.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
Daksha_Mistry, Guest Relations Manager at Crowne Plaza Birmingham City Centre, responded to this reviewResponded 17 June 2014

Dear Lloydie1210,

Thank you for taking the time to review your stay at the Crowne Plaza Birmingham City Centre. I was delighted to read that you were satisfied with most aspects of your stay, especially our location and our excellent staff and service. However, I was disappointed to read that the air conditioning unit in your room was not working and I sincerely apologise for the inconvenience this caused you.

I am also glad to read that you would recommend our hotel as being good and practical and we look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Kind regards

Write a ReviewReviews (2,191)

Reviewed 9 June 2014 via mobile

I stayed at this hotel for one night on a business trip.

Reception/Check In

Arrived around 6pm, the process was quick and easy. The staff were friendly and efficient and explained to me what I needed to know during my stay.

Bedroom

I stayed in room 618. The accomodation was clean and tidy. The furniture was reasonably modern if not a little shabby.

The sleeping area was large enough and I had a comfortable double bed. There was a pillow menu but I did not use this.

The bathroom was spotless and modern with complimentary extras such as shampoo, soap, shower gel. Clean towels were provided.

There is no fridge in the room and when I opened the cooler box there was no water provided. I enquired with reception and was quickly provided with some.

There is a safe and iron/ironing board provided and a sufficient wardrobe. Within the wardrobe there were tea/coffee making facilities and biscuits.

Breakfast area

Very clean, tidy and well kept. Staff were friendly and attentive.

The breakfast buffet is self service and provided a good selection of warm food, cereals, continental style pastries, toast and more.

The tables are well spaced in a non intrusive way giving personal space.

Summary

I enjoyed my stay at the Crowne Plaza. The staff are welcoming and helpful, the rooms are perfectly up to standard but will need updating soon. The location was excellent but the surrounding area looked a little run down.

I would stay here again and have no hesitation in recommending.

Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
Daksha_Mistry, Guest Relations Manager at Crowne Plaza Birmingham City Centre, responded to this reviewResponded 12 June 2014

Dear Mike B,

Thank you for sharing your experience of your stay at the Crowne Plaza Birmingham City Centre. I was delighted to read that you were satisfied with all aspects of your stay, especially our welcoming and helpful staff, the good variety of food that we offer at breakfast and the amenities that we provide within our rooms. I was however disappointed to read that your room was not equipped with complimentary water, however I am glad that we were able to resolve this issue swiftly.

I am also pleased to read that you would have no hesitation in recommending us to others and look forward to welcoming you back again in the near future.

Reviewed 9 June 2014

My wife and I visited Birmingham for the weekend a booked into the Crowne Plaza in Birmingham. We were very fortunate to be upgraded to Club Room which gave us access to a private lounge area where we received complimentary drinks and canapés.

The room was fantastic and the staff very attentive - if you are looking for a reasonably priced hotel close to the centre of Birmingham you could do a lot worse.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank steve L
Daksha_Mistry, Guest Relations Manager at Crowne Plaza Birmingham City Centre, responded to this reviewResponded 10 June 2014

Dear steve L,

Thank you for your feedback regarding your recent stay with us. I was happy to read that you enjoyed your weekend stay with us and were pleased with your Club room and the facilities that we offer within the Club Lounge.

I was also glad to read that our staff provided a very attentive service and we all look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the near future.

Reviewed 7 June 2014

If there is one thing the large chains can be relied upon, it is consistency - having traveled the world has taught me that. So, a clean modern hotel with comfortable rooms and good service.

We ate out. The hotel is brilliantly situated both for the centre of town and the railway station. The deal we got made it excellent value for money.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple

Dear Paul K,

Thank you for choosing the Crowne Plaza Birmingham City Centre and for reviewing your stay. I was pleased to read that we lived up to your expectations and that you found us to be excellent value for money.

I look forward to welcoming you back to our hotel again in the near future.

Reviewed 6 June 2014

This was the first time I have stayed at this hotel. I can't fault it at all. I thoroughly enjoyed my stay. Easy to find with a massive car park underneath and so just a short walk with bags. Reception was friendly and prompt. My room was fantastic - really spacious, very clean and well equipped with good facilities for work. Shower was powerful. I was up on 6th floor and so there was no noise from the road and I got a good night's sleep. Bar service and room service were prompt and friendly. Check-out was very quick too. I will definitely stay here again when on this side of Birmingham and would strongly recommend to others.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business

Dear Geoff A,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience of your stay at the Crowne Plaza Birmingham City Centre. I was delighted to read that you thoroughly enjoyed your first stay with us and that you were satisfied with all aspects, especially our the facilities and amenities with your room and with the prompt and friendly service from our staff.

I am also very pleased to read that you will definitely stay with us again and we look forward to welcoming you back again in the near future.

Reviewed 2 June 2014

I stayed here for a night in late May whilst on business in Birmingham, and was so impressed I have booked again.

The room was quiet, comfortable and I slept really well - the pillow menu is a nice touch. The service was great - very personal - and I did genuinely feel that my needs were anticipated.

Definitely recommended for business travellers.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Hatty H

Dear Hatty H,

Thank you for your kind feedback regarding your recent stay at the Crowne Plaza Birmingham City Centre. I was delighted to read that you were so impressed by our hotel and have booked to stay again.

At the Crowne Plaza we understand that every guest has individual needs and we like to provide a service that is tailored to meet each guests requirements. I am therefore glad that you found our service to be great and very personal.

I look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel soon.

Reviewed 29 May 2014 via mobile

This hotel is conveniently placed in the centre of birmingham and gave me quick access to my business meetings. Facilities are excellent and the room very spacious and finish to a high standard. Hope to come here with work again.

Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business

Dear James S,

Thank you for taking the time to review your stay at the Crowne Plaza Birmingham City Centre. I was very pleased to read that you found our hotel to be conveniently located with excellent facilities and spacious rooms.

I was also happy to read that you hope to stay with us again and look forward to welcoming you back.