“Best IHG hotel in Birmingham”

Crowne Plaza Birmingham City Centre
Ranked #36 of 117 Hotels in Birmingham
Dunstable, United Kingdom
“Best IHG hotel in Birmingham”
Reviewed 13 July 2014

Always use IHG brand hotels, and have been a Platinum Elite member of their rewards program for years so this does help. Free room upgrade, free wifi, free drinks in the members lounge, free continental breakfast which is yummy!..... The rooms themselves were good although my only criticism would be the aircon is very noisy! Beds easy to sleep in and you can request decent duck-down pillows from reception. Staff pleasent & chatty. View out of the bedroom window was a bit naff but who cares.

Plenty of shopping and restaurants local so you will be spoilt for choice, car parking easy, £13.50/day. Never eaten in the hotel restaurant as we prefer to dine out. Bar looks lively but is expensive, much better drinking the free (albeit limited alcoholic beverages) in the members lounge! Not much more to say really.

If you like IHG hotels, then this is the place for you, competitively priced with the other IHG brands in the area and infinitely better than Hotel Indigo in the Mail box which is dreadful and should be avoided like the plague.

Room Tip: Use you IHG member status and politely ask for a free room upgrade if not offered or pay for a club...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
Daksha_Mistry, Guest Relations Manager at Crowne Plaza Birmingham City Centre, responded to this review, 23 July 2014
Dear Shep1001,

Thank you for being a Platinum IHG Rewards Club member and for taking the time to review your stay at the Crowne Plaza Birmingham City Centre. I was delighted to read that you were satisfied with all aspects of your stay, especially with your upgrade and the facilities and amenities provided within this, as well as the added extras that we offer in the club lounge.

I was also pleased to read that you would recommend us to others and we look forward to welcoming you back again in the near future.

Kind regards

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (382)
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Wellesbourne
Reviewed 11 July 2014 via mobile

Stayed here when on business in Birmingham. By far the best hotel I've stayed at in the city. Very clean and modern. Great restaurant and bar; and the rooms are of a very good standard. Great views from most rooms of the city. Underground parking is good. A couple hundred yards from the mailbox and a very short walk from new street station and bull ring. Would definitely stay again

Stayed August 2013
Dear Ash A,

Thank you for your kind feedback regarding your stay at the Crowne Plaza Birmingham City Centre. I was delighted to read that your stay surpassed your expectation, especially with our very clean and modern hotel, the quality of our rooms and our great location.

I was also pleased to read that you would definitely stay again and I look forward to welcoming you back again in the near future.

UK
Reviewed 11 July 2014

I had room 416. Room was nice, but at 0330 in the moring the various idiots and taxi drivers from the night club about 200 yard across Suffolk Street Queensway woke me up. How numerous cars are allowed to toot horns at this time in the morning is a mystery. Also Queensway tunnel is closed in Summer so traffic is much worse, and affected the idiots tooting horns etc. You defintely want a room at back of hotel if you are a light sleeper. Shame relly nice Hotel, not their fault about the idiots.

Room Tip: Get a room at the back away from Sreet noise and Night Club opposite!
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
Daksha_Mistry, Guest Relations Manager at Crowne Plaza Birmingham City Centre, responded to this review, 22 July 2014
Dear igorrie,

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay at the Crowne Plaza Birmingham City Centre. I was pleased to read that you found our hotel to be really nice and that you were satisfied with your room. I was however disappointed to read that your sleep was disrupted by noise from the main road outside your room. I sincerely apologise for the inconvenience this caused you as we always want our guests to enjoy a great nights sleep. We will be monitoring these noise levels on a regular basis and will report any issues that may arise.

I do hope that you will give us another try.

Bagshot, United Kingdom
Reviewed 5 July 2014

Great service, rooms and value.

I stay here often and it is in a brilliant location. Close to Broad Street and top class restaurants. Close to the main station and seconds away from the main motorway.

The team here are always keen to upgrade your room and ensure you are very welcome.

So why not 5?

The hotel exterior is hideous and the ambiance in the reception area and bar are poor. They could really do with adding variable lighting and many large green plant etc...

My advice is don't look up at the building when you arrive and don't wait around in the bar and reception. Everything else in excellent. You will enjoy everything else.

Room Tip: Top rooms preferable
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
Dear Dave H,

Thank you for sharing your experience of your stay at the Crowne Plaza Birmingham City Centre. I was pleased to read that you were satisfied with our service, rooms, value and location. I was however disappointed to read you found the ambiance in the reception and bar to be poor. I will take your comments on board as we are continuously striving to improve what we offer to future guests.

I was also glad to read that you found everything else to be excellent and we look forward to welcoming you back again in the near future.

Derby, United Kingdom
Reviewed 30 June 2014

I am a fan of Crowne Plaza especially their Manchester Shudehill hotel. This is very well located in Birmingham and was central for where I wanted to be.

I was at a conference at the Town Hill but I didn't like having to walk through a dark and deserted underpass to get there.

Check in was easy and quick and I was in a Club room on the 10th floor which was really lovely and I love CP's bathrooms, all slate grey and light cream. Everything was there: plentiful fluffy white towels, bathrobes, tea/coffee making, a great hairdryer etc etc.

Enjoyed the continental breakfast in the Club Lounge (especially the smoked salmon)

All together a good stay and I would stay here again if in Birmingham (not my favourite city and has the UK's worst railway station)

• Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
Dear EPD,

Thank you for staying at the Crowne Plaza Birmingham City Centre and for taking the time to write a review. I was delighted to read that you were satisfied with all aspects of your stay, particularly your Club room and the facilities and amenities within it and also the continental breakfast in the Club lounge.

I was also pleased to read that you would stay with us again and we look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

East Sussex, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 June 2014

Stayed over a week here on the third floor.
The room size is enormous- lots of space for suitcases etc.
Wonderful sized bed, lots of lights and surfaces for your items.
I counted just 3 electrical sockets which I didn't feel was very suitable for two people- two people charging their phones meant that we were constantly juggling unplugging the kettle and charging things up in batches, especially as my partner was working and needed the laptop plugged in.
Loved the touches of chocolates, nice biscuits and complimentary tea/ coffee etc.
The shower lacked a screen so the floor ended up being almost flooded after use and the floor mat sodden. Limited shelf spaces for toiletries but high quality finish and fittings in the bathroom.

Airconditioning unit quite noisy and the windows have very limited action, barely enough to get any fresh air. Window overlooked derelict building with broken windows and hundreds of seagulls.
Room keeping staff very friendly and room was clean.

Reception friendly. Foyer offers sofas and magazines for reading and then access to the bar area.

Easy access into Birmingham- very close to the Mailbox, where we chose to dine each evening.

The room service menu is very expensive- one of the most expensive I have seen. Upwards of £10 for a sandwich including the tray charge.

I was also disappointed at the car parking charges. £13.50 is steep, even for my standards of parking in Brighton where parking is ridiculously expensive. Considering we were here for quite a few days £13.50 can really add up! I was hoping the hotel would have a special concessionary price for its customers? Also, beware the carpark, it is awful and the bays are very tight. I DO have a 4x4 sized vehicle but even so, you would have to be extremely careful when getting in and out of a bay!

Overall a very pleasant stay, with a few issues that could be resolved. Will be back and would recommend.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear beirutboy,

Thank you for your feedback regarding your stay at the Crowne Plaza Birmingham City Centre. Whilst I appreciate your positive comments highlighting our friendly reception and the facilities and amenities within your room, I truly value your negative feedback, as this will allow us the opportunity to improve what we offer to future guests. I have therefore taken these on board and will pass them on to the relevant department managers to review and action accordingly.

I also appreciate your comments regarding the car park, however this is a public car park and therefore we cannot comment in the way that it is operated. I can pass your comments directly on to the management of the car park as they may use these to make future improvements.

Overall I am glad that you had a pleasant stay and we look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Derby, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 June 2014

I stayed here last week for the second time and I was even more impressed than before. I had booked a Club Room for myself anf my daughter. The only issue was that I had was the booking process. I had tried to book through the IHG app on my phone, but it kept shutting down, so I booked though the phone number on the back of my card. I asked for a club room for myself anf my daughter, which was all confirmed. Later on after work, I looked at the hotel website for the postcode and noticed that children were not allowed in club rooms ot the club lounge. I had specifically booked this for a better quality room and also that we could sit upstairs in a quiet lounge together. The staff were dealt with this well when I rang them and said that it was their policy not to have children in club rooms, however, they would allowe me this once to take may daughter as long as she was well behaved,

I was a little nervous checking in, as I thought it would be mentioned, however the receptionist did not bat an eye lid and made a real fuss over my daughter. She also got her a welcome pack with stickers and colouring book. Needless to say, she was very impressed.

The room on the tenth floor was amazing, had a brilliant view and the bed was huge. In the evening we went into the club lounge. It was quite busy, but we found a space to do my daughters homework and also to watch the World Cup. The hostess was very attentive and kept everyone topped up with drinks and canapes.

We had a very good nights sleep, although I later found out that there were sleep kits available, but I never got one. Breakfast was good with a large selection and it wasn't too busy for a Saturday morning.

Overall it was a brilliant stay, it is just a bit disapponting that my daughter won't be able to stay in a Club Room at the hotel again as she thoroughly enjoyed the experience of staying in a 'posh hotel'

Room Tip: Club Rooms on the 10th and 11th floor are well worth paying more for!
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Rams_fan_11
Dear Rams_fan_11,

Thank you for staying at the Crowne Plaza Birmingham City Centre and for taking the time to write a review. I was delighted to read that you rated your stay as 5 star and found our hotel to be lovely with brilliant staff. I am also glad that your daughter enjoyed her stay with us too and liked our activity pack. Unfortunately, our policy is not to allow children in our Club rooms, therefore I am sorry that we will not be able to allow this for future stays. However our standard rooms are also nice and our twin rooms are equipped with two double beds to accommodate families.

I am pleased that overall you had a brilliant stay and look forward to welcoming you back again in the near future.