“Nice weekend stay”

Crowne Plaza Birmingham City Centre
Ranked #34 of 118 Hotels in Birmingham
Reviewed 20 August 2014

I stayed here with a couple of friends to spend a weekend at Birmingham.
The Hotel offered just what you would expect from a crown plaza.
Nice and clean rooms, a friendly front desk and a good roomservice.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Clubalex
Daksha_Mistry, Guest Relations Manager at Crowne Plaza Birmingham City Centre, responded to this reviewResponded 26 August 2014

Dear Clubalex,

Thank you for sharing your experience of your stay at the Crowne Plaza Birmingham City Centre. I was pleased to read that we met your expectations of the brand and that you were satisfied with our nice, clean rooms, our friendly reception staff and our good room service. We look forward to your next stay with us.

Kind regards

Write a ReviewReviews (2,142)

Reviewed 19 August 2014

We booked this hotel as a last minute replacement from Sunday 17th- Tuesday 19th august for a three night short city break before we travelled to alton towers. We payed £200.00 for three nights which was including a full English breakfast or continental. We arrived at 9:00pm and had a very pleasant welcome by the bell boy before we went to reception. The lobby is very sleek, modern and VERY CLEAN; the furniture was modern and the beautiful chandelier that is suspended from the landing just finishes the luxurious experience right to a T. The receptionist was very welcoming too and got us sorted straight away; although she was pleasant there was a accent barrier as she seemed to not be of a British nationality and she was a little hard to understand but for a multinational hotel, you can't moan!!! We had to wait 15 mins before we entered our room as we had to wait for extra towels to be placed in our room as it was only set up for two people; but as we booked 30mins before we arrive and again we couldn't complain. We had to park the car in the public car park which is situated directly under the hotel for 24 hours it was priced at £27.00 pound which we thought was a little expensive but had no choice but to pay. The car park has a direct staircase that leads straight to the front of the hotel which is very convenient so that you don't have to got on a long walk down the ramp.

Whilst we was waiting for the room to be sorted we had a drink at the bar. The ground floor bar was one of three in the crowne plaza the other two is situated in the higher floors so that you can have a drink whilst overlooking the city. The bar staff was the most pleasant bar staff we had met, we had a long chat with the waitress about the restaurants and shops and we found her very helpful to the point that she kept refilling my glass of water ever though i wasn't intending on being there long we ended up staying an hour!!!!!! I will mention one thing though, the manager of the bar was pleasant towards us but she was unprofessional towards her staff as she was speaking down at them and raising her voice.

There was four lifts; which was cleaned on a regular basis. Just note only three lifts was usable for the guests the other for the staff. The hotel has modern decor from top to bottom which adds to the overall luxurious experience and adds a extra personal touch.

The room was just WOW! we was on the fourth floor (room 432) we had two double beds and we had a large plasma TV hung on the wall. The room was well lit with three large lamps one over the bed, on the dressing table and one over the chair plus two L.E.D spotlights that would allow reading more easy in the dark. The room was well furnished with all the modern furniture the chair had a foot rest which would add to the comfort of the room. The carpet was stripy red which complimented the red feature wall nicely. The bathroom was black tiled and there was a large range of complementary toiletries including bathe gel, body lotion, shampoo, soap and a shower cap and if you had left any essential toiletries at home eg comb, toothbrush/paste and shaving cream all you would do is ring reception and they would send someone up with what you needed and it was at the hotels expense!!!! The bath wasn't full size due the the large wardrobe that was built into the wall. We also had a kettle, custard creams, other biscuits, chocolates, tea and coffee there was also an option of a red button which you could access the latest films and (adult films which I think was inappropriate and degraded the hotel a Little)

The bed was large and comfortable and the option of a pillow menu also contributed to the rooms comfort, we slept like babies and no sound of the city could be heard. the window would open a little and the air conditioning / heating was easy to use.

Breakfast is served from 6:00am - 10:00am, the breakfast has two options full English or continental and the restaurant caters for all nationalities. The Buffett breakfast was pleasant and had lots of variety eg lots of drinks and lots of food. The restaurant was split into two half's one side was for breakfast and the other was a evening restaurant that you would pay extra to use at night 6:00pm - 9:00pm which is convenient if you you want to stay local.

In the mornings you have the option for an early morning call and you have a complimentary newspaper which could be delivered to your room if you wished. Overall crowne plaza is well situated, lots of bars, lots of personal touches, pleasant staff, lots of services and I'd give this hotel 9/10 which is a 4/5 star.

I would love to stay here again as it's well situated to the mailbox and restaurant area it was a pleasure to stay here and will hopefully be returning in the near future.

Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Robert L

Dear Robert L,

Thank you for your kind feedback regarding your stay at the Crowne Plaza Birmingham City Centre. I was delighted to read that you were satisfied with your experience of our hotel and found us to have the WOW factor. Our aim is to consistently provide superior service and accommodations and I am happy to read that we met these during your stay from beginning to end.

I am also pleased to read that you will staying with us in the near future and we look forward to welcoming you back again.

Reviewed 18 August 2014

Stayed here on a saturday night.Excellent service received from checking in to checking out.
Had club room, ensuring club lounge access which is a must.From leisurely coffee and papers on afternoon before shopping, to pre drinks and canapes before going out, in a light and airy lounge.Location is ideal as mailbox is minutes one side and broad street/brindley place minutes the other, just go up the steps to the far left of the hotel as you are coming out and you are just across the road from it.
Room very clean and comfortable,everything we needed was there.Ordered room service at about 2am, the curry definatley recommended!Continental breakfast served in the club lounge till 11,11.30 such decent times for a sunday! Only gripe- coffee is from a machine and is very strong,but the girl working in there was very helpful, just fill up with hot frothy milk!Read the sunday papers and chatted to fellow guests before visiting the fabulous new library next to the icc, next to brindley place.What a lovely stay.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear travelalot011,

Thank you for taking the time to review your stay at the Crowne Plaza Birmingham City Centre. I was delighted to read that you were satisfied with all aspects of your stay, especially the excellent service from our reception staff, the quality of food offered on our room service menu and with the added extras offered in our Club Lounge.

I was also happy to read that you had a lovely stay and we look forward to welcoming you back again in the near future.

Reviewed 17 August 2014 via mobile

This is what you'd expect from a Crowne Plaza. Clean, efficient and comfortable. Apparently it's in a good central location, although I didn't find that out for myself as I was at a meeting all day. The only 'negative' is it was difficult to find the car park, and once you miss it you are caught in the one way system. But maybe that was just me!

Stayed: August 2014, travelled on business

Dear Melanie W,

Thank you for staying at the Crowne Plaza Birmingham City Centre and for taking the time to write a review. I was pleased to read that we met your expectations of the brand and that you found us to be clean, efficient and comfortable. I was sorry to read that you found the public car park that we recommend, difficult to access and I apologise for the inconvenience this caused you.

We do hope to welcome you back to the hotel in the near future.

Reviewed 15 August 2014

Booked a night for my parents for my mothers birthday outstanding customer service they were upgraded room fantastic and had canapés and all extras out of this world. Fantastic value for money excellent location for broad st and mail box.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family

Dear Willis1966,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience of your stay at the Crowne Plaza Birmingham City Centre. I was delighted to read that you rated us as 5 star and that your parents enjoyed their stay in a Club room with all the added extras like the Club lounge facilities. I was also happy to read that they found the service from our staff to be outstanding and we all look forward to welcoming them back in the near future.

Reviewed 15 August 2014

Picked Crowne Plaza Birmingham only because of the location.

In one direction you are 2 minutes away from Mailbox, the other direction 2 minutes away from Broad Street and if you go further along you reach Brindley Place and 10 minutes from Bullring (all walking distance).

The hotel itself is clean and spacious however nothing WOW considering the price I paid for a week - Club room also. The shower wasn't very powerful and the water kept going hot and cold but we really couldn't be bothered to complain. The toilet stopped flushing so we had to call reception and to fair they did send someone straight away and fixed the problem. The tv was sometimes black and white and then colour. All silly things but you expect them to be working perfect considering its Crowne Plaza.

I personally think it needs an uplift as I stayed in Premier Inn (Brindley Place) the other day and I had the best sleep, better rooms, tv, shower, bed. Everything was perfect, what Crowne should've been basically.

Would stay here again but views on it wouldn't change.

Room Tip: Except the club lounge where you get free continental breakfast and wine/beer for 2 hours in the eve...
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear akb1989,

Thank you for your feedback regarding your stay at the Crowne Plaza Birmingham City Centre. Whilst I appreciate your your positive points like our hotel being in a good location and being clean and spacious, I truly value your negative comments as these will enable us to improve what we offer to future guests. I sincerely apologise for the maintenance issues that you experienced as these should have been right for you in the first instance. I have therefore passed on your feedback to our maintenance team to review and action accordingly.

I do hope that you will give us another try.

Reviewed 14 August 2014

THis hotel is a two minute walk from the Mailbox and the canal. in one direction, and the convention centre in the other. Beware though, you are essentially on the ring road so it is noisy.
My Club Room was larger and clean, with a decent sized, spotless bathroom.
I felt the reception staff could have explained the Club floor better as I only spotted a letter explaining I had access to the Club Lounge late in the evening. They also had trouble locating my loyalty club details. (This was dealt with on checkout)
All in all a decent Crowne Plaza if you are at a conference.

Room Tip: Ask for one at the back of the hotel if road noise keeps you awake.
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled on business
Daksha_Mistry, Guest Relations Manager at Crowne Plaza Birmingham City Centre, responded to this reviewResponded 20 August 2014

Dear Slesl,

Thank you for taking the time to review your stay at the Crowne Plaza Birmingham City Centre. I was happy to read that you were satisfied with our location and with the facilities and amenities within your Club room. I was however disappointed to read that the Club Lounge facilities were not explained to you on check in and I sincerely apologise for the inconvenience this caused you. I have spoken to the front office team to ensure that they provide all guests with necessary information in order to prevent issues such as this arising in the future.

I do hope to welcome you back to the hotel again in the near future.