“Very good value break in city centre location”

Crowne Plaza Birmingham City Centre
Ranked #31 of 118 Hotels in Birmingham
Reviewed 31 August 2014

Spent four nights here and thought it excellent value.Our room was quiet and clean but the purple decor made it seem quite dark.We had access to the executive lounge which was great both for continental breakfast and for aperitifs in the evening.Quite the best staff in an executive lounge we've ever had!
Super location for shopping,theatre,museums and city centre restaurants.Easy walking distance from the train station.The hotel block is just visible on the left as you leave New Street Station by the New Street exit.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on a high floor
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
Write a ReviewReviews (2,145)

Reviewed 31 August 2014

As part of Hotels.com's Rewards programme, after staying in ten qualifying hotels you can redeem a free night at one of their partners' hotels up to the average price of the your previous stays (not including taxes). For my qualifying free night, I decided to have an end-of-the-summer night away with my wife at the Crowne Plaza.

Looking at the rooms on offer, a Club Double Room for £105 fitted the bill, with our free night discounting the stay to a tax-only £17! The Club Room gives you access to the 11th floor Club Lounge, with a selection of hot, cold and alcoholic drinks and snacks included.

Our room, on the 10th floor was perfectly good. A large, comfy bed, seating area, desk with reclining office chair, a large bathroom with separate bath and shower, and a good sized wardrobe. The only negative point was the view from the rear of the hotel over a derelict building, but by nightfall the lit-up cityscape resolved that!

The heating and cooling within the room was by way of a large wall-mounted unit with a room-matching cover over it. I thought we'd turned it off for overnight, but I suspect that it was on automatic as the fans fired up every hour or so - it wasn't the best night's sleep I've had in a hotel.

The room had WiFi internet access included as part of the Club package, and a large flatscreen TV - reception on which, across all channels and the interactive menus, was patchy at best (something repeated on the TV in the Club Lounge, although the screens in Reception were displaying with perfect clarity).

The public areas were clean and well decorated, but the lifts made me feel uneasy (the doors seemed a little abrupt and industrial, I don't like lifts at the best of times), signage to the staircases was unclear.

We didn't eat in the on site restaurant (B One) for the evening as we'd intended to go out to the nearby mailbox restaurants, but we did have breakfast there the following morning. Breakfast is a buffet affair with a wide selection of cooked items, cereals, fruit, cheese and meats, breads and juices.

I'd happily stay here again, in a Club Class room just purely for the extras it provides.

Room Tip: Go for a Club Class room, on or around the 10th floor and ask for a front-facing room for a better o...
Reviewed 29 August 2014

Cannot really put the place down, its a typical hotel room close to the mail box. If you want clean and above average size rooms then this is your hotel and at £75 its a good deal. This is just my personal view and I have since tried others as it does nothing for me.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 28 August 2014

Stayed in the crowne plaza for a family reunion, got say what a weekend, the hotel reception was on the ball no messing, the room was very clean and modern everything was in place for our stay, shower was great plenty of power, now the ultimate experience, please please let me know where you got the mattress from, I have never ever been so comfortable in a hotel bed in my life

As it was a family reunion we spent a lot of time in the bar, I don't think it closes as the sun was up by the time we retired for the day.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 27 August 2014

My experience of Crowne Plaza Birmingham was very relaxing. I was in a need of relaxing stay and that is exactly what I had. The room was very cozy, spacious and comptable. The location was amazing making it easy to go shopping and browse around city centre. The staff was very helpful with both getting directions around the city as well as answering my questions. The food was delicious

There was one thing that I think might have been better, after taking a bath and getting in my pajamas I order room service. After hanging up the phone called few minutes later letting me know I need to get down to reception for them to take down my credit card number so I could order. I got annoyed since that should had been done at check in, I had to get get dressed, get down, give them my credit card number, back up and call again for room service.

I would say in whole, good value for money and I would recommend this hotel.

Reviewed 26 August 2014

Just a quick note to say what a lovely break we had at the Crowne Plaza on Sunday 24th August, we booked a Club Room and it was well worth it.

The hotel were hosting a lot of the athletes that were taking part in an event at Alexander Stadium but this did not cause an issue at all, it was very well planned and organized.

We had excellent service from Mark and Joe on reception, the lady who was on the bar on Sunday afternoon (apologies I did not get her name) and Lorraine who worked in the Club Lounge.

Our room was spotless clean and very comfortable and having Sky Sports made my hubbys day :-)

We have stayed here previously and will continue to do so, excellent customer service all round, thank you :-)

Room Tip: Club Room every time!
Reviewed 26 August 2014

We stay each year during the weekend of the BBC Good Food show. And each time the hotel compliments the foody/boozy feel of the weekend perfectly.

The executive package includes use of a club room in the evening, where you can call in for free snacks and drinks before you head out for a meal. It's also the place that you go for breakfast, which is included on a complimentary basis on the room rate.

Despite the fact that this is a central location, the rooms don't suffer from external niose pollution - in fact, even though there have often been events on when we have been visiting, we've never been disturbed by noisy neighbours or roudy revellers!

Rooms are comfy, include pretty much everything you need. Very clean. Am looking forward to returning in a couple of months.

Only gripe is that they do get very busy at reception & it can take a while to check in/out. But that is me really nit picking!

Room Tip: Pay a bit more for the executive rooms - it's worth it at a weekend!
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled with friends