“Lovely Hotel”

Crowne Plaza Birmingham City Centre
Ranked #31 of 118 Hotels in Birmingham
Reviewed 4 May 2009

Just came back from a one night stay at the Crowne Plaza. The outside and view of the hotel wasnt brilliant but what do you expect when its on the doorstep to everything you need the mailbox.. broad street.. bullring.. etc. The room was very modern and had a lovely bathroom. The Staff were very nice and helpful. The hotel could benfit from a spa. The lifts are awful there dull and sound like there about to break! They dont fill you with confidence when you get in them! Another thing that was a little annoying about the stay was they tested the fire alarm but didnt tell the guests that were staying in the rooms! And after that the lifts wouldnt work so you can imagine my annoyance when we had to walk 10 flights of stairs!! Lucky enough we'd already taken the luggage to the car!! But overall a really nice hotel and will be back.

• Stayed: May 2009, travelled as a couple
HotelManagerB1, Manager at Crowne Plaza Birmingham City Centre, responded to this reviewResponded 5 May 2009

Dear Blondie074

Thank you for posting a positive review of your experience at the Crowne Plaza Birmingham City.

I am happy that overall you had an enjoyable stay and will return back to us in the future.

I have noted your comments concerning the lift and fire alarm, please accept my apologies for the inconvenience that you may have suffered because of this.

There is notification on the TV's on check in that there will be an alarm test, however I will speak to the Front of House Manager to ensure that guests are informed on arrival.

Thank you once again for your feedback, I look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the very near future.

Operations Manager

Write a ReviewReviews (2,147)

Reviewed 30 April 2009

Stayed at the Crowne Plaza recently. Overall it is a very nice hotel, the decor is very modern, rooms kitted out with all you need and very spacious. The bathrooms as well are very nice.

Unfortunately my trip was spoilt by the service provided when I came to order room service. They hotel were advertising a room service special on the TV screens in the rooms and when I went to order it, I was told that it was no longer a valid offer, it had expired the day before. Why then are they advertising it!

After I chose the new offer I asked to make payment with my Maestro as I wasn't using a credit card. I was told that I would have to come down to reception from the 8th floor where I was staying to pay by card as there card machine 'could not get a signal upstairs'.

I found this slightly annoying and frustrating, as I was already changed in bed, hence why I had ordered room service. I might as well have come down to the restuarant.

There wasn't any apology about this.

Apart from this, it is a nice hotel and I would stay again.

• Stayed: April 2009, travelled on business
HotelManagerB1, Manager at Crowne Plaza Birmingham City Centre, responded to this reviewResponded 2 May 2009

Dear Chival

Many thanks for your feedback, and your positive comments concerning the hotel.

I am disappointed to note your comments about room service and have sent you a personal email to gain some further information from you so that I can investigate further.

Reviewed 30 April 2009

First visit to Birmingham in years. Needed a hotel for 2 nights near New Street Station. Crowne Plaza was ideal. Just a 10 min walk. Rooms are spacious & clean, with a 32inch flat screen TV. I paid £88 PN which included a Buffet Breakfast, which is well worth having. Although i would not have paid the £13.50 going rate. Staff were friendly, especially the cleaning staff,which in my experience is the sign of a good hotel.

My only real complaint(s) was there was no Sky Sports in the room, not even as a pay option. This meant I missed the Champions League Football. This seems odd as I have stayed in hotels costing half the price & they have Sky Sports. Internet access in the room is not free.(what century are we living in ?) I also did not receive my complimentary newspaper on both mornings. Not the end of the world I know.

Overall i would highly recommend this hotel, and providing I can get a good rate will be back there soon.

• Stayed: April 2009, travelled on business

Dear Zoso

Thank you very much for your kind comments concerning the hotel.

We are delighted that you have enjoyed your stay and will return back.

Please be assured that I have shared your comments with the staff here at the hotel.

Reviewed 27 April 2009

My husband and I stayed over at the Crown Plaza due to a visit at the NIA. Check-in was informative, swift and friendly. Room was lovely, we stayed in a Club room and were very impressed with quality and facilities. Very happy that the shower was separate from the bath, being nearly 8 months pregnant this was very useful not having to climb in and out of a bath!! Staff were continually friendly and helpful not only in reception but also in the carpark, bar and restaurant.
Extremely happy with value for money and will definitely return next time we are visiting Birmingham City Centre.

• Stayed: April 2009, travelled as a couple
HotelManagerB1, Manager at Crowne Plaza Birmingham City Centre, responded to this reviewResponded 28 April 2009

Dear Crystal

I am delighted to read your very positive feedback following your recent stay here at the Crowne Plaza Birmingham City.

It is great to see that you upgraded to a top floor Club Room and took advantage of the extra facilities in the room to your advantage!

It is also very reassuring to read that you are extremely happy with the value for the money you paid and will be returning. Please be assured that I have passed your positive comments about the staff on to all departmental managers to share with their teams.

We look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the very near future, in the meantime congratulations on your pregnancy and best of luck from all the team here at the Crowne Plaza Birmingham City over the next 4 weeks!

Reviewed 22 April 2009

Stayed here for the weekend from friday to monday over the Easter Holiday, for my birthday, all I can say is we will stay again!
Everything was just right, the rooms, service, the decor, food, and we got a good deal too. we used to stay here quite offen., but decided to try other hotels in the area, and I can say you now have reached the standard as some of the other hotel in the area, though now you all look the same very contemporary. (but still very Nice) Our only complaint throughout the weekend was that some guest sure have no concern for others at night, and made the most noise, all night. Husband not best pleased.
but overrall enjoyed our stay.

• Stayed: April 2009, travelled as a couple
HotelManagerB1, Manager at Crowne Plaza Birmingham City Centre, responded to this reviewResponded 24 April 2009

Dear ValNottingham

Welcome back to the Crowne Plaza! it is very reassuring to see that you have come back to us again and have enjoyed the new refurbished facilities.

I am also happy to note that you have been able to take advantage of our promotional summer internet rates.

I will speak to our Security team regarding other guests making un necessary noise during the night and ensure they are increasing their floor walks to monitor such.
(Please do apologise on our behalf to your husband!)

Thank you for such a positive level of feedback and we look forward to welcoming you back to the Crowne Plaza Birmingham very soon.

Reviewed 22 April 2009

Stayed in the Crowne Plaza on a Saturday night over Easter. Had previously stayed in the Radisson but wanted to try somewhere different, but still in close proximity to New Street Station.
Check in was quick and efficient, even though we arrived late that night. Since I had booked a twin room I was very impressed with the two double beds in the room, which, I have to say, were some of the most comfortable hotel beds I've ever slept on. Room was well laid out and the bathroom spotless.
Unfortunately was woken up at around 3 in the morning when the lads in the room next door came back from a night out - they weren't being particularly loud or annoying, just laughing and bantering in the next room but you could almost hear every word. More like a problem with thin walls than noisy guests.
I won't let this incident spoil my opinion of the hotel though as we did enjoy a great stay at the Crowne Plaza. If you were looking for a comforable, clean and modern hotel only 5-10 mins walk from New Street Station and the Bullring, and right next door to the Mailbox, then I would definitely recommend it, especially as it comes at a great value rate as well.

• Stayed: April 2009, travelled with friends

Dear johnco84

Thank you for your positive feedback.

Please let me take this opportunity to welcome you to the hotel after staying previously with other Birmingham city centre hotels.

Great to read that you enjoyed our new large twin rooms with double beds. We have replaced all our beds during the refurbishment so I am happy that you have had a comfortable sleep.

Unfortunately, during your stay we did have a large group stay within close proximity to your room, as mentioned in a previous post this group were indeed quite noisy and were dealt with by our security team. Please accept my apologies and my thanks for your understanding; I am glad that this has not spoilt your opinion of the hotel.

Thank you also for your recommendation to other trip advisor users and your acknowledgment of how close we are to New Street, the mailbox and Bullring.

We very much look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel very soon.

Reviewed 19 April 2009

My wife and I were spending three nights in Birmingham to visit the city where we first met at the university there too many years ago to mention. We were planning to visit a few old haunts and also to have a trip to Oxford so the Crowne Plaza seemed an ideal choice because of its proximity to the centre and New Street station.
We booked on-line and at £64 per night including breakfast we thought the hotel was excellent value for money.
The room was ready when we arrived and the welcome at reception was friendly and efficient. The room itself was spacious and had two double beds. It had everything you would expect from a 4 star hotel - the free newspapers and water were appreciated-but there was only a shower in the bathroom which might not be ideal for everyone.
Breakfast was very good and well organised. There was plenty of choice and no queuing or waiting for tables.
We didn't have any other meals in the hotel but we used the bar for drinks in the evening - very comfortable, friendly and reasonably priced.
All in all we would recommend the hotel and would happily stay there again. The only complaint was that the movie channel was not working in the room. I pointed this out on the first day and was told it would be dealt with. It still wasn't working so I reported it again the next morning and then again that evening. I was then told that there must be a fault (Quelle surprise!). To be fair we were offered a change of room, but as we were just leaving for an evening out we couldn't be bothered with packing and moving.
A useful tip for anyone staying at the Crowne Plaza is that there are loads of places to eat and drink without going into the centre at night. To the left of the hotel on Broad street and in Brindley Square you will find a great choice of bars and restaurants in a canalside development. To the right there is the Mailbox which has designer shops on the lower levels and restaurants and bars on the third floor.

• Stayed: April 2009, travelled as a couple
HotelManagerB1, Operations Manager at Crowne Plaza Birmingham City Centre, responded to this reviewResponded 22 April 2009

Dear Hispanist

Welcome back to Birmingham! I hope that you enjoyed the recent positive developments in and around the city and were able to find your way around!

Thank you very much for your positive review on the hotel, it is great to see that you have taken advantage of our special online offers on rate and that you had an enjoyable stay over the 3 days whilst here.

All of our rooms have been refurbished over the last 12 months and although some have been designed with showers only, the majority of our 312 rooms have bath and showers, indeed our Club rooms have a seperate walk in shower to the bath.

I am delighted to note that you enjoyed your breakfast and drink in the B1 restaurant and bar area and have passed your comments on to the B1 F&B Manager.

I have also passed your comments about the movie system to our Front of House Manager to investigate as there should not of been a fault in your TV to prevent you accessing the Movie channels. Please accept my apology that this was not resolved whilst you were here.

Thank you once again for your business and for offering the hotel such a positive review.

We look forward to welcoming you back in the very near future.