“An OK experience.”

Premier Inn Birmingham South (Hall Green) Hotel
Ranked #42 of 118 Hotels in Birmingham
Reviewed 6 December 2011

This was my first stay in a Premier Inn, which was recognized during my friendly and efficient check-in. To be honest, I usually stay in more expensive hotels, simply because I stay away so frequently on business, I prefer a little more than the budget chains can offer.

On a positive note, the whole hotel was clean and tidy, which is essential, irrespective of how much it costs. On that note, I stayed 2 nights, mid-week in November and paid £165 which included breakfast each morning. In my experience, I wouldn't call that cheap, but there you go.

After booking, but before arriving, I was surprised to note that this hotel was number one in the TA rankings, so the reviews did not influence my choice of hotel, it was based purely on location, and there being precious little else near-by. I struggled like mad to find it, so please program your TomTom with care. Mine insisted the place was a health centre a couple of miles away.

WiFi is chargeable, which I find scandalous, shame on you! Bathrooms are very small and as detailed on the website are bereft of bath! It's a good job I didn't want to swing any cats in my bathroom during my stay, as it really wouldn't be possible.

Thin walls meant I could tell when either of my neighbours was putting anything on a hanger, or plugging something in, which is never good, as you can invariably hear other things, that you really don't want to be hearing your anonymous neighbour doing!

Breakfast was also surprisingly good, but again, not especially good value. There were more breakfast pricing options than I was led to believe when booking, which I might have preferred to the full breakfast option. I suppose if I was a regular Premier Inn visitor, I'd have known. Lenny never mentions that in his ad's.

The kettle's electrical safety re-test date had expired, which although is low risk, is poor for a national chain - shame on you!

In summary. I had an OK experience. It was OK, meaning I won't be hurrying back to any PI, but would when location was the primary criteria for my choice of hotel. Generally speaking, (not referring to this location), I think for a few pounds more, you generally get a lot more for your money. Also, I hate paying on arrival, it devalues the whole experience, whether that's in a hotel or a coffee shop, but that's just me.

(No animals were hurt during the writing of this review).

Room Tip: Don't expect a bath - this is mentioned on their website.
  • Stayed: November 2011, travelled on business
1  Thank Dodgergammon
Robert E, Manager at Premier Inn Birmingham South (Hall Green) Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 8 December 2011

Thank you for taking the time to review your stay with us at the Hall Green Premier Inn. I really appreciate your feedback as this enables us to improve standards and provide guests with the best possible service and a comfortable stay.

There are newer reviews for Premier Inn Birmingham South (Hall Green) Hotel

Reviewed 21 November 2011

The title says it. Really very helpfull staff. Soon as I told them where I was going in the evening they booked me a taxi

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled solo
Robert E, Manager at Premier Inn Birmingham South (Hall Green) Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 1 December 2011

Thank you for your kind comments. Hope to see you again in any future visits.

Reviewed 15 November 2011

Can't fault the service I received and the overall value for money and room decor, cleanliness and facilities . Thank you I will be staying again ! :)

• Stayed: November 2011
1  Thank Ladypurp
Robert E, Manager at Premier Inn Birmingham South (Hall Green) Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 18 November 2011

Thank you very much for your kind comments, regarding your recent stay with us.
Look forward to seeing you again in your future visit.

Reviewed 8 November 2011

Friendly staff at this premier inn both on reception and at breakfast. Annoying wireless is charged at 3 times the price as the premier inn at the airport. Good place to stay.

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled on business
Robert E, Manager at Premier Inn Birmingham South (Hall Green) Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 10 November 2011

Thank you for your kind comments,regarding your stay and the staff here at Hall Green Premier Inn.
Hope to see you again in any future visits.

Reviewed 7 November 2011

We arrived quite late in the evening so were grateful that check-in was easy and efficient. Our room was on the first floor and we noticed that the stairs were grubby, they appeared not to have seen a vacuum cleaner or mop for some time. Not really the best first impression.

Also, our room had a strange odour - the sort that comes from an unwashed shower curtain. The bathroom looked clean though and the towels were a very decent size. There were no real noise problems, either inside or outside, the bed was very comfortable so we slept quite well.

We chose the premier breakfast, which was good value and freshly cooked. It was a bit let down though by weak coffee and slow service. I saw my porridge sitting in the sevice hatch for a good five minutes before I got up to get it myself, my husband's cooked breakfast suffered the same fate - it was barely warm when it was eventually delivered to our table after we had to ask for it. The dining room was less than half full but the staff, although they didn't stop, seemed disorganised. Shame because it was a good breakfast at a good price.

Premier Inn have a good product and with just a few tweaks this particular hotel might be worthy of the number one spot but, sadly, not as it stands. I cannot believe every hotel in Birmingham is worse than this but this might say more about how the 'scoring' is done.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank poppybabe
Premier_Inn, Online Guest Relations at Premier Inn Birmingham South (Hall Green) Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 9 November 2011

Thank you for taking the time to review your stay with us. We really appreciate your feedback very much as this enables us to improve standards and provide guests with the best possible service and a comfortable stay. Please be assured that we take all feedback seriously and on the receipt of your details, the issues raised will be fully investigated. We hope to welcome you back in the future.

Reviewed 22 October 2011

My partner and I have stayed at many Premier Inns throughout the country but this was our first stay at Hall Green. Everything was excellent, all the staff were very courteous and helpful and we would always try to stay at Hall Green when visiting the NEC. The buffet breakfast is excellent.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled as a couple
Robert E, Manager at Premier Inn Birmingham South (Hall Green) Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 25 October 2011

Thank you for your kind comments, regarding your recent stay and the staff here, at Hall Green Premier Inn.
Hope to see you again in any future visit.

Reviewed 4 October 2011

We travel a lot and use Chain Hotels a lot. This one is as good as any we have stayed in.. And you get a hand cooked breakfast ~ not a sad buffet!!

• Stayed: October 2011
Robert E, Manager at Premier Inn Birmingham South (Hall Green) Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 6 October 2011

Thank you for your great comments, about your stay and you enjoyed the "all you can eat" fresh cooked breakfast served in our breakfat area.
Hope to see you again in any future visits.