“Comfortable and clean but definitely not good value”

Comfort Inn Birmingham
Ranked #96 of 118 Hotels in Birmingham
Reviewed 15 May 2013

I booked in for business trip. It's a stones throw from new street station but took me about 20 minutes to find it. I turned up exhausted and the receptionist who I believe was the manager ( he told someone on the phone he was) was pleasant. He was advising people on the phone rooms were around £40. Mine was £71 for single!!! He explained breakfast, then later said I wasn't booked for breakfast. Not a pleasant end to a long day. Room overlooking walls, wire fencing and stairs, but that's no issue -not here for the views. comfortable enough-and clean. Wifi expensive. No chance of sleep for noise outside the room

• Stayed: May 2013

Reviewed 13 May 2013

I booked the comfort inn as somewhere cheap to stay, as I had to be in Birmingham very early in the morning and needed a fairly decent nights sleep. However, if you do want a good nights sleep I would advise you go elsewhere. The customer service was satisfactory, although I didn't speak to the employees for very long. I knew the room was cheap, and I wasn't expecting much, but considering the premier inn charges the same rates, there is no comparison! The room was fairly dated and grubby, and when I arrived there were flies hovering around, which I couldn't even get out as the windows would not open. As I have said, if you want to get a decent nights sleep, go somewhere else as the walls are as thin as paper. YOU CAN HEAR EVERYTHING. I had the misfortune of having 2 very loud neighbors, and combined with the uncomfortable hard bed I had great difficulty getting to sleep until the early hours, which wasn't ideal when I had to be up so early. I wasn't expecting much, but this was so very disappointing.

Room Tip: go somewhere else
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled solo
3  Thank LauraAC93
Reviewed 7 May 2013

Both my flat mate and I booked this hotel last night to what we thought was the night porter and we secured it with our card details. He didn't take our address details only surename, name and credit card number. We work in a hotel ourselves out of Birmingham and thought this was fishy. My flat mate decided to ring up in the morning to only be greeted by what can only be described by the most ill mannored receptionist!!! I quote "there is no booking on our system, you should know working in a hotel yourself that if he does fraud your card what would happen to him" so adding no comfort to my poor friend having been told her card details are now missing! To her dismay she demanded to speak to the general manager to then be told he's in a meeting till two so call back. In which I called after 3pm.

The so called general manager had no sympathy for this ill mannored and inexcusable situation! Using such quotes as "I have worked in this hotel and so have my staff for over ten years and we've never had a bad complaint about a credit card details!" None the less he told me he would speak to his night porter! As I stressed we needed the room but I was not willing to pay an extra £30 for the night! We were quote £50 by this supposed night porter! Not £89! I also went on to tell him that this was not my problem that his night porter didn't know what he was doing! He should honour my booking and rate! As quoted!!!

It was left at that until he phoned me not long ago stating I had phoned the wrong hotel to which my reply was I am not stupid I find it offensive that you would say that! He went on to say and we are not stupid here so you phoned the hotel and hung up on me!

I will be taking this further as I find it appalling that this customer service resides in a hotel! If this had happened at the hotel I worked at I would have been disciplined for being so rude to a guest!!! DO NOT STAY HERE!!!

• Stayed: May 2013
3  Thank NPwings
Reviewed 7 May 2013

£47 for a comfortable night in a reasonable room plus full English breakfast. I pay my own business expenses, so this is ideal for me. And it's on the edge of Chinatown so it's easy to get a decent meal.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank touchcon
Reviewed 4 May 2013

ok the station over the road is in construction but its not new in citys, we was on second the floor, we was asked by the receptionist if our bags would liked to be taken up but as reception was busy we said no worries.our room was fab and clean couldnt ask for a better place close to the entertainment.dropped our bags off went to the bar, special offers on shots from £1 and the carling and strongbow was cheap £2.90 bargain even the house doubles was £3.80 with a mixer all in all fantastic staff and as it says on the tin for the price comfort inn

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Becky P
Reviewed 1 May 2013

I was traveling on business when I stayed at the uncomfortable inn. The service was good, however the bed was lumpy, I heard people coming and going from the lift all night and I had no hot water for a shower!! I would not go back!

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled on business
2  Thank Karen M
Reviewed 30 April 2013

I stayed here for one night (£35). The hotel is very well located, being within a literal stone's throw from Birmingham New Street, and a five minute fast walk to The Mailbox.
My room wasn't spotlessly clean, but in general, it was. The bed was comfy, and the room had a tv and tea making facilities. There was a bit of noise outside due to the construction work at New Street at the mo.

Stayed: April 2013, travelled on business