“AVOID”

Comfort Inn Birmingham
Ranked #97 of 118 Hotels in Birmingham
Reviewed 20 August 2013

i booked this hotel on-line and it looked good in the pictures do not be fooled.
i have stayed in comfort inn's before and never had a problem, unfortunately this was not the case here. On arrival the reception area seemed fine, except for the joining door to the pub next door where anyone could roam in and out of the hotel, we then got to our rooms i was travelling with my father so we had 2 single rooms on different floors not ideal. on entering the room the first thing that struck me was the cracked and broken windows, the yellow of the walls were is should be white and the old bathroom only way i have to describe it is like an old hospital bathroom also with cracked windows, the door to the room was shaky and when you put the 'safety chain' across and opened the door the whole door frame nearly came off, it did not help me feel any more secure, i then went to see my fathers room he was another floor up and it was no better.
when looking the the bed etc the sheets seemed clean but i didn't give it a chance i could not have stayed there, i went to reception to use the computer and booked us into a new hotel, i paid £130 for 2 rooms for 2 nights in the comfort inn, and for £200 i booked into a 4* hotel ( the burlington) for 2 people for 2 night not a lot more and 100 times better, i would never recommend this hotel to anyone

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank cupcakelove3

Reviewed 12 August 2013

OK it was cheap but so hot .. so opened window but with New Street Station being rebuilt the noise was really loud. So fry and no sleep or cool and no sleep. Both taps in the sink ran hot water and the shower was freezing cold.

Room Tip: Choose another hotel
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled solo
2  Thank Boarders1954
Reviewed 8 August 2013

I needed to spend the night in Birmingham for an early morning business meeting and sadly picked this hotel. It was an experience I wish I could forget. I've learned the hard way to check for bed bugs before turning out the lights.

Arrived at 11pm after a long coach trip and, though disappointed with the general state of the room, it was a cheap room booked at short notice so a few problems were expected. What I didn't expect was to wake up to find I'd been sharing the room with bed bugs. I even trapped one in a ziploc bag to prove they were there.

After a thorough shower I had to inspect all my clothes and luggage for bed bugs before repacking to leave to avoid taking any bed bugs with me, leaving no time to complain before checking out. I made it to the meeting with only a minute to spare. Despite having a shower I spent the entire day feeling dirty and itchy. When I got home I had to hot wash, dry clean, or steam everything I had with me to prevent carrying the infestation into my home. What I couldn't clean I threw away. Expense and bother that I didn't really need not to mention the fear and horror of thinking that despite all precautions I may have missed one of them.

Rather than immediately posting a brutally honest review, I opted to give the hotel the chance to make amends so I complained through the website that I used to book the room and they forwarded by complaint to the hotel manager. The emailed reply from 'Majid', the customer Services manager, was an example of the poorest customer service I've ever received. They denied most of the problems with the room, ignored the rest, and also denied the presence of bed bugs. When I called the manager after receiving his email I was told that I'd probably brought the bedbugs with me! That escalated insult to anger.

As compensation, I was offered 50% off another booking with the hotel. Needless to say, I will not be taking them up on the offer. I don't want to take a chance on bringing home bed bugs from a hotel that would rather blame their guests than admit a problem and make amends for it.

I also contacted the regional manager, Bruce Wade, who sadly offered the same poor customer service in a somewhat more pompous manner. A reaction that I believe indicates that they have long standing problems at the hotel. I was again told that I must have brought the bed bugs with me and that as I didn't either seek medical advice for bed bug bites or complain on the day he was unwilling to believe that there were any bed bugs in the hotel.

In my opinion, any reputable hotel would offer a refund, admit their failings, and remedy the situation. No chance with this one, they think their guests are liars.

Don't stay at the Comfort Inn in Birmingham, there are several other hotels nearby that offer reasonable rooms. And wherever you stay, check the pillows for brown blood stains, also check the mattress and inspect any tight seams around the binding for blood spots, bed bug faeces, and the tiny larval forms of the bugs as well as adult bugs. Keep your luggage in the bathroom -- the bathtub is an ideal place -- until you are certain the room is free of bugs. If you find anything suspicious, don't stay in the hotel even if they offer another room, go to a another hotel rather than risk it. I've been told that where there's one bed bug you can see there'll be hunderds more hiding. I wish I'd known all that before I stayed at the Comfort Inn. I'm a much more cautious traveler now.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled on business
5  Thank G I
Reviewed 6 August 2013

The hotel is in a Excellent location, right next to New St station and just round the corner from The Bullring Shopping Centre and the indoor / outdoor markets
The hotel was spotlessly clean, the rooms I had were spacious and the prices were very reasonable.
I didn't try the bar as I was only having 2 x 1 night stays and I had my 3 year old daughter with me. We didn't eat in the restaurant as we weren't there for breakfast and they do not serve meals in the evening so we went out to eat.
Now unfortunately the negative :( The mattress was uncomfortable, this wasn't a 1 off as I stayed in different rooms on each of my short stays and both were as bad as the other. When I was there (towards the end of July) we were experiencing temperatures in the high 20's low 30's and there was no air conditioning. The first night I stayed there I opened the windows but it was too noisy and my little girl kept wakening up. The second night it was even warmer but this time I was too afraid to leave the windows open as the window was right on the fire escape..
So would be ok for a winter stay or a summer where Britain experienced its usual weather ...
Despite the negatives I would still recommend this hotel and I will stay there again.. Next time though if its warm I'll take fan with me ;)

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 6 August 2013

Budget hotel right outside Birmingham New Street railway station. Can't moan at anything for the price or if you do you clearly are staying in the wrong hotel. Reception staff pleasant and helpful. Lift very dated but better than walking to fourth floor. Bedroom and bathroom clean but dated, again can't moan for the money. Didn't sample breakfast as away early morning. Would stay again if alone or looking for cheap central Hotel.

Stayed: August 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank njd47559
Reviewed 20 July 2013 via mobile

I recently stayed in Comfort Inn with a few friends as we were having a night out celebrating a birthday. The hotel is in a great location if you are visiting the bullring shopping centre however if you visiting for a night out then it is a taxi ride to get to most of the clubs. The hotel itself is quite dated but is kept clean and the staff were very helpful. I must note that the rooms do not have air con - the rooms were unbearable when we went as the weather was nearly 30 degrees. A tip I have is to avoid the hotel lift (if you've already visited the hotel then you'll know exactly what I mean!). We didn't have the best of luck with the water whilst there, warm water came out of the cold tap in the bathroom sink yet the shower was very cold even on the hottest setting which meant we were brushing our teeth with hot water and having ice cold showers! Although this hotel does have it's downside, I can't complain about the price, five of us stayed making it £22 each.

• Stayed: July 2013
Reviewed 16 July 2013

We booked this hotel using a price comparison site and the reviews on there all said 'decent, clean and comfortable' - which, to be honest, were all my partner and i were looking for on an overnight trip to Birmingham. When we (later) read some of the reviews here, you can imagine we felt some trepidation as we pulled into New St station

Having stayed in many travelodges/premier inns/ramadas etc up and down the country for work I was VERY pleasantly surprised by the cleanliness and standard of the comfort inn.

The only 'complaint' we had was:
We asked twice for extra towels and they couldn't get us any (Having said this, there were 4 guest size towels and a towel bath mat in the bathroom)

The great things were:
IT WAS CLEAN! (like properly, the top of the wardrobe, skirting boards, bath, behind the loo, inside the drawers, everywhere hoovered)
The towels and sheets were good quality and (obviously) clean
The bed had a nearly new mattress on, and was delightfully comfortable
The tea/coffee making facilities (which had no limescale/dust/marks) included a kettle, two cups and saucers and four sachets of tea (and four of coffee) with about 6 milk pots (yeah, not loads, but it's disgusting anyway - go and buy a proper pint of milk from the corner shop not 200yards away)
The flatscreen freeview TV (32") worked perfectly
They let us check in at 11.30am (we called when our train had arrived just to see if we could drop our bags off etc)
The standard hotel bar has plenty of seating, a pool table and friendly staff - and wasn't ridiculously priced.

All in all, the hotel is slightly dated, yes, and builders are working on New St Station so noise can currently be heard (although we did sleep uninterrupted with the window open all night - and it's not really any noisier than my old city centre flat!) and the convenience, price point and positive experience we had would make staying here again a no-brainer! - Simply Brilliant!

Room Tip: if you are concerned about noise, ask for a room at the back of the hotel. Your view will be fire e...
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple