“Great location, decent hotel.”

Comfort Inn Birmingham
Ranked #98 of 118 Hotels in Birmingham
Reviewed 19 January 2014

I chose this hotel based on its proximity to the Bull Ring shopping centre and to Birmingham New Street station - in both regards this is a really great hotel. Literally minutes from both in what was a quiet street the hotel provided a perfect base camp for a shopping trip.

First impressions of the hotel weren't great if I am honest. I had booked the room through the hotels own site, but when I tried to check in they tried to make me pay for two double rooms rather than the one I had booked - luckily I had brought my booking confirmation with me so the receptionist did back down (though it was reluctantly done). The same lacklustre impression met me when we entered our room - to put it simply it was very dated. The ceiling reminded me of one from my school and looked rather dingy and the walls could also have done with a lick of fresh paint whilst the bathroom, though very generously sized, was also in need of modernisation.

Once you get passed the décor this was a pleasant place to stay. The bed was really comfortable (though only two pillows - I have kind of grown accustomed to double beds in hotels having four pillows), whilst the shower was surprisingly excellent considering how old it looks. When booking I had requested a quiet room and I don't know if that was adhered to or if we just got lucky but this was an exceptionally quiet room. The only noise (apart from other guests) came from the lift and from the next rooms extraction fan in the bathroom.

Now I have mentioned the lift I would warn you that this is an old lift. As in you have to close the inner door to use it old. I am sure it is perfectly sound but it does seem a tad rickety if you use it!

If you are going to Birmingham and are looking for somewhere really close to the station and the shopping centre this definitely fits the bill and I would stay here again.

Room Tip: Our room was on the third floor and I heard no traffic noise whatsoever.
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled with friends
There are newer reviews for Comfort Inn Birmingham

Reviewed 9 January 2014

I wouldd not recommend staying here alone or with children the noise was terrible from inside and outside. I came down one afternoon to find around 20 people all sitting on the stairs all the same one big group of people.also no disabled access i wouldnt even put my dog in that ligt

• Stayed: January 2014
1  Thank Shellynixon
Reviewed 4 January 2014

If you are looking for a one night budget stay right in the city centre that is clean, warm and friendly this hotel fits the bill. It is situated overlooking new street train station which is handy but they also have an arrangement with the nearby new street NCP car park, when you leave you get a ticket that effectively means you pay six pound for 24 hours instead of £26. The hotel itself is a bit dated but what do you expect for £27 a night for a double room. I would stay here again for a one nighter.

Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank colin r
Reviewed 1 January 2014

If you want a handy central location that is value for money, then this is the place. All a little run down but clean and efficient
Close to shopping and New street station. Breakfast was good and service excellent.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Caroline R
Reviewed 28 December 2013

So, I had the displeasure of staying here recently. It has the Comfort Inn brand name, but in no way should it be regarded as comfortable. I don't know why Choice Hotels admits to owning it, its not a choice you should ever make, unless its one to avoid.
I paid £49 ish on an advance booking and although the booking didn't exactly say it was an ensuite room, it didn't say it wasn't either, I mean tell me one way or the other and i'll stay somewhere else, maybe thats the trick or luring you in? After all I was paying £49, its not backpacker prices, so I expected a bathroom.
I checked in quite late as by 13:40 when I actually arrived the room was not ready, apparently its 14:00 and 20 mins earlier is not acceptable, could I wait, apparently not. So, 11pm I returned, handed some keys, I had to presume 407 was on the 4th floor. I went into my room, expecting something similar to what the website photos suggested (it looked quite nice). Incorrect its a bathroomless, pokey, cold, room with absolutely zero space to move. The roof slopes down so at one end you cannot stand upright. There was a huge wind gust coming in through the window, which rattled the whole night. This was the DisComfort Inn.
The door had no way of shutting like a normal door would unless you locked it upon exiting, well I had to lock it, who could have known where my bathroom was located. I wandered, slightly scared down the hallway, not knowing who I might bump into. Was this a shared bathroom? Would there be a naked bloke showering in there? Seriously, who could have known?

Luckily not, although it was the fastest shower I had ever taken as there was the slight fear factor that someone else had a key to the bathroom. The bathroom smelled of eggs. The water was tepid at best.
Although my massive list of complaints has apparently been passed onto the Gen Manager, nothing has come of the matter yet. I think I am owed a refund at the very least.

The website also fails to mention that there is serious building work going on outside the hotel, this is at the back of the station and will be ongoing until 2015. Also the road was closed when I went, which is excellent if you need to drop off any luggage, really handy.

If you get lost just remember to ask for the dodgiest looking street in Birmingham with a rowdy pub at one side, 2 different takeaways both called Tasty something and an Adult shop with some classy neon lights flashing the majority of the day.
I would not recommend this hotel to anyone, unless it was a hotel inspector, or someone who could maybe get the place condemned.

Room Tip: If you don't want a bathroom, but are happy to pay the same price then room 407 is for you. It w...
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank ihatecinnamon
Reviewed 21 December 2013

So close to new street and yet so quiet and very good value. Well recommended and very helpful staff. Handy for theatres and electric cinema and china town. Plenty of good value places to eat and drink nearby.

Stayed: December 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 20 December 2013

The only reason you would choose to stay at this hotel is because it offers a cheap place to stay in central Birmingham. It serves that purpose well. The single room was modestly appointed and very dated, but was perfectly clean.

The bathroom is cramped and the shower is unimpressive, but, again, perfectly clean. Bring your own soap, the soap provided doesn't smell great.

I had to wait 10 minutes to be checked in, as the receptionist was on the phone, but he was quite polite and helpful once he got to me.

The location is very convenient, the building is literally in the shadow of New St. Station.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled solo