“WORST HOTEL EVER - ONE BIG FAIL!” 1 of 5 bubbles

and 1 more site!
Comfort Inn Birmingham
Ranked #96 of 117 Hotels in Birmingham
Hereford, England, United Kingdom
“WORST HOTEL EVER - ONE BIG FAIL!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 June 2014

It took us forever to find the hotel because the street was closed, we had to park 10 minutes away and ask for directions - whenever this has happened in past hotels I have received an e-mail so that I am prepared.
Once we arrived the receptionist wasn't the best, firstly he couldn't find the reservation for 2 rooms then when he finally found it he couldn't a record of payment so I had to pay a second time - not a good start to our holiday.
The lift to the third floor (where are rooms where located) wouldn't stop and kept going to other floors - not good for anyone who can't walk far as the stairs are quite steep.
The rooms where disgusting and un-safe the fire alarm was covered, I could find no escape signs and while the fire escape stairs where right outside our window the only way to get out was to get onto the ledge and through the top window, you would then have to try to land without falling down the metal stairs, the ceiling was also made of polystyrene tiles which I thought weren't aloud seeing as they are a fire hazard (I could be wrong on that one).
The beds where uncomfortable but I wasn't expecting much for what we paid, general cleanliness is usually a given unfortunately someone forgot to tell these cleaners.
The main selling point when I booked in January 2013 was the restaurant we have a member of the family who is a Diabetic and needs to have regular meals, a member of the party rang down to ask what time dinner was only to be told that they only served breakfast, thank god for smartphones because we where able to find a couple of restaurants by the Hippodrome, on our way down we asked about the airport shuttle (the second reason we chose this hotel) again we where told that the didn't do shuttles but could call a taxi at a cost of £25 not bad as there where 5 people so we booked it, the best part of the evening was being out of the hotel and I have to say that the people we met in Birmingham where lovely especially when we got a little lost the local police actually took us to the door of the restaurant we wanted, after going back to the hotel for the night I wish I had have bought a drink as there are no vending machines and while there is a bar I couldn't be bothered to go downstairs just for a drink.
The next morning was an early one for us up at 3:30am and we did have our morning wake up call the one thing they did right, we decided to get downstairs early just in case the taxi hadn't been ordered, we handed in our keys and where told to go to the end of the road our taxi would be waiting for us GREAT until we get to the taxi and are told that they'll have to get another because they weren't told that we had luggage - Hello we are going to airport, in the end we just squeezed in so that we wouldn't miss our flight and the shocker when we paid the driver was that the bill was £45 instead.

If you have taken the time to read my rant, then please do yourselves a favour and take a few minutes more to find a better hotel. Thank You

Room Tip: Don't get any room, I wish I had turned around and gone to a different place.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
3 Thank Nicky S

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (87)
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Thornaby on Tees, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 June 2014

stayed here 1 night in a single room. never again. reception staff were unwelcoming.. the location is next to a strip club. room was basic. no hot water !!! the bar was a pub attached to the 'hotel''. breakfast was ok but the staff were not.
Certainly not for couples or families. Its a contactors B&B.

Room Tip: don't stay here, unless your just after a basic room for the night.
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank David A

Travellers are raving about these Birmingham hotels

bristol,uk
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 June 2014

The front of this hotel looks a big grim,but is a stones throw from the train station and is cheap. We had the third floor,and the lift did not work. The room was a good size and clean. Down side was the lack of air.It was very hot and airless and we opened the window wide but did not get much of a breeze in.In the fact the whole staircase was airless. Is close to a wonderfull pub called The Victoria and lots of take aways and the Theatre. We would use this hotel again. It did have a kettle with some coffees and the shower was good. Tis all good and fine for sleep.

Room Tip: If you don`t fancy lots of stairs ask for first floor.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
Chesterfield, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 June 2014 via mobile

I stayed at the Comfort Inn just for one night and had booked a single room. The room was very clean and was on the 4th floor but the lift was not working (overhearing someone else at reception it sounds like this is not a new phenomenon). I was OK but for anyone with mobility issues this would a stay on any floor difficult. The main problem with my room was that it was doing its best to recreate the atmosphere of a sauna without any discernible heat source that I could find - radiator definitely off but room unbearably hot. Also a smaller issue was that Wi-fi was only free in reception but very expensive to pay for in the rooms - annoying even if the lift had been working. All in all this was a good central location and was a fair price.

Stayed June 2014, travelled solo
London, UK
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 June 2014 via mobile

Stayed here for one night. Room on the 4th floor with no working lift. If I had a heavy bag the climb would have been uncomfortable. To be fare the receptionist offered to carry my bag up.

The room was quite small but ok for a short stay. The bed was comfortable.

TV remote had no batteries. I could find only one socket which was away from the bed. The room was quite warm even with radiator off.

Bathroom was functional with plenty of hot water. The ceiling slope. Having a shower could be awkward if very tall.

Location is good five minutes to New Street Station and near Bull Ring.

Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
Manchester, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 June 2014

Very near Birmingham New Street and the main shopping area of Corporation St.

Polite and helpful staff - all the rooms I have had, have been clean

Things I see at home I cant complain about - my floorboards creek, near pubs there are often people who have been drinking.

Breakfast to look forward to - after a good nights rest - I have always slept well at this hotel.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Oliver d
Isle of Wight England
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 May 2014 via mobile

Unacceptable that my heavily pregnant wife was allocated this dreadful substandard accommodation within half an hour she rang me in tears alone supposed to be preparing for a conference tomorrow ! Only resolution was me to pay £112 to get her moved into a premier inn urgently! Drunk people in reception and clearly soliciting occurring before staffs eyes! Shocking

• Stayed May 2014