“Stay in the ghetto (and don't have breakfast)”

Comfort Inn Birmingham
Ranked #97 of 118 Hotels in Birmingham
Reviewed 10 May 2009

Behind 'Adult World' next to ghetto-style concrete buildings and walkways you'll fins the 'Comfort' Inn... if you can get past the hoodies outside. Inside the hotel is outdated and shabby. Rooms smelled musty and my colleage's room looked out on to a rusty fire escape wrapped in rusty barbed wire. The breakfast was awful, only saved by the yoghurt (as it was sealed!). My room wasn't unclean and did the job as a place to sleep on business. This is definitely not the place for people on their own - especially women, due to the dodgy feeling location.

• Stayed: May 2009, travelled on business

Reviewed 16 March 2009

I have travelled to many far flung places in my time some 5star some 2star all being given the benefit of the doubt depending on price and ratings. I have travelled with business, friends and family. In all these places I have never felt that I or my friends and family were never ever at any time put at any risk wether it be food, hygiene, feeling safe in your bed at night, until I stayed (DRAGGED KICKING AND SCREAMING) at the COMFORT INN BIRMINGHAM. You have got to be joking !!!!!!!!!!!!!!! W ho in their right mind would want to stay in a place right next to a sleaze bar a place that smells so bad in the rooms, I will leave that to your imagination, so run down its static, a bar that becomes frequented by undesireables, run by staff who look like they took the job in desparation. DON'T DO IT!!!!!!!
I

• Stayed: March 2009, travelled on business
1  Thank dtgsouthwales
Reviewed 23 February 2009

found this hotel fine for a stayover - yes is bit dated decor, esp the 70s ceiling tiles and generally needs updating but generally clean and decent size room and ensuite. Yes is noist road outside so take some ear plugs. Staff on reception not particularly friendly, did not go to bar. For £34 a night at weekend thought good, location was very good as travelling on train and is next to new st station, and trawling the gay bars in eve which are just couple of minutes away.

• Stayed: February 2009, travelled solo
Reviewed 7 February 2009

What can I say? Arrived 1am in the pouring rain-first thing to be told was that the lift wasn't working and that any luggage would have to be carried up stairs-by us as the porter wasn't prepared to do it.The card machine was not working,so out into the rain to find a cashpoint.The internet service crashed too-no refund for the money already spent. On arrival in my room,I walked in and tripped over a large hole in the carpet on the far side of the bed injured my foot.I asked for a replacement room-after much deliberation I finally got it.When I transferred my luggage from one room to another I suddenly realized the same key opened both doors.Locked them both and tried again-same thing.
8 weeks after,no reply.had to get Head Office involved to refund my money.Told they were only prepared to issue a credit card refund-since I didn't have one,no refund would be made. Eventually Head Office intervened and a cheque would be sent. First letter arrived with no cheque.By Christmas,letter had arrived with cheque(only for room rate-no compensation for inconvenience or injury) asking me to contact them as soon as it had arrived. As soon as I had,they stopped the cheque and then claimed that because I had acknowledged receipt of it,I already had the money....Further complaints to Head Office still unanswered-8 months and no refund.

• Stayed: June 2008, travelled on business
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank rockminx
Reviewed 25 January 2009

Maybe its me, maybe I have lost touch with reality, maybe this is what £69 a night gets you...but if so, its just wrong !

Where do I start ..I knew that it was going to be bad as I walked out of Birmingham New Street Station and could see the very dated illuminated sign of the hotel off to the right. As I approached, I said to my colleague...this looks bad ...maybe it was the greying net curtains or the obvious lack of any double glazing or the decidedly dodgy looking pub underneath it, but I was already planning my escape to the Hyatt. So why didnt I book the Hyatt first ...well, we are in a recession apparantly and I thought I would watch my overheads ...but there are limits.

The hotel reception did nothing to help lift the experience..the two reception guys looked decidedly disinterested and it was one of those receptions where the bin is overloaded with paper (clearly not a recycling friendly company) and generally has an air of dissaray.

I had booked a single room and was given a key and told to take the lift. The lift had one of those sliding cage doors which gives you the impression that death may be imminent. My room...hmm. Well put it this way, Harry Potters cupboard under the stairs was bigger. The single bed looked half the size of any single bed I had seen (although it has been a while), the carpet was ripped and the decor hadnt just seen better days it was like being in a time warp...they would probably make more money hiring it out to film companies as a set. There was no radiator in my room so it was cold and I slept in my jumper all night, and as it was a rainy and wet january night in Brum, the windows without double glazing rattled their way through the night.

The bathroom was a little better, and the one positive about the bathroom was that it was spotlessly clean....other than that, this hotel has very little going for it....if you want to spend under £70 - I say go to a premier travel inn, at least you know what you are going to get and it may be simple, but at least its consistent and modern.

The thing that made me laugh was that in the bar area, there was a poster for the hotel group which also incorporates Quality Inns etc too. Well the picture that was used to promote Comfort Inns could not have been further from the truth...why is it that hotel groups seem to be the only business in the world that doesnt have to live up to its advertising claims in any consistent way at all.

If you do choose to book this hotel, I can only believe it will be because you want to punish yourself for something.

• Stayed: January 2009, travelled on business
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2  Thank missie22
Reviewed 22 January 2009

Didn't stay that long so I can only say that you really should be careful where you let your work book for you.

It was so bad, I took one look at the room and went straight back to reception. Dingy carpets, dirty looking decor, casual staff. This was 10 at night so I knew it meant a late search for an alternative but I just couldn't face sleeping there.

I ended up going via that Hyatt (fully booked) to the Jury's Inn which although bland was only a tenner or so more and in a different class.

• Stayed: January 2009, travelled on business
1  Thank Tony221268
Reviewed 6 January 2009

The hotel was very dated and old fashioned, not what I expected from a city centre hotel. It was disappointing but bearable for a one night stay. The staff were not very friendly and we felt tricked by their breakfast policy - they offer it to you like it is included, and then they charge you £9 when you check out (and it is not worth £9 by the way!).

• Stayed: February 2008, travelled as a couple