“Impressive - but further to go.”

Novotel Birmingham Airport
Ranked #27 of 118 Hotels in Birmingham
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed 2 March 2013

I had the opportunity to stay here for the first time on 1 March 2013. The initial impressions of the hotel were positive. The building is modern and well appointed, with the main public areas - restaurant, bar, reception being of a high quality and welcoming ambience.

The staff were superb throughout the stay, including the reception staff and those in the bar and restaurant, It was great to be able to talk to some of the staff about their journeys - the bar man was from Greece and had worked in Germany before coming to the UK, and one of the waitresses was from Punjab in India, and we were able to share some dialogue about my visit there the previous year.

In terms of accessibility to the airport, it really doesn't get much closer than this - the hotel is across the road from the terminal, and the walking distance is an attraction.

The breakfast is quite pricey at £15.00 for the full English. I suppose that is the price one has to pay for the proximity of the hotel to the airport. There is a good selection of breakfast, including cereals, breads, fruit, cold meat, fish and cheese as well as juices and cereals. It is also possible to nip into the terminal to the nearby Frankie and Benny's or Burger King if you are unhappy with the price.

The Rail Link from the terminal to the train station is also on your doorstep.

The rooms are very comfortable, and have a novel pull out desk as well as mini safe and mini bar (beers and soft drinks are £3.50).

An unusual feature is the fact that the lavatory is in a separate cubicle to the main bathroom, so there is no chance of a person not being able to use the loo if another is using the bathroom,

One of the worries about airport hotels is the risk of aircraft noise. I did not notice any over my stay - all the windows in the hotel are triple glazed.

The one thing that I would campaign for here is free WIFI, rather than the £19.50 broadband package offer they have on for 24 hours, to include unlimited movies.

Car parking can be provided in the nearby multi storey.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled on business
Ian_Dick, General Manager at Novotel Birmingham Airport, responded to this reviewResponded 3 March 2013

Dear Reviewer, I’m very grateful that you could take time to leave us your thoughts and write a review. I would like to thank you for your constructive comments I will share them with my team. I would like to make you aware that we are currently reviewing our internet offering to make improvments for the future. We look forward to seeing you soon. Kind regards Ian Dick

There are newer reviews for Novotel Birmingham Airport

Reviewed 28 February 2013

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled with family
Ian_Dick, General Manager at Novotel Birmingham Airport, responded to this reviewResponded 1 March 2013

Reviewed 27 February 2013

We were flying out from Birmingham Airport on a family holiday, and as our check was 6am, and we live about 1.5hrs from the airport we decided that we'd travel the night before and stay near the airport so we didnt have such an early start...i found a deal that included 7 nights parking and a family room at the novotel Birmingham Airport for £130. So we booked. we arrived about 6pm Saturday evening. The first problem was were did we park to take in luggage/check in. There was a layby that said drop off only, but really we all needed to get out as my husband needed directions to the long stay car park and we had luggage and our 2 children in tow too. I got out and went in to be told by the receptionist it was ok to wait there 5-10 mins while we checked in. Perhaps a 5 mins max stay or parking for check in only sign in the layby would have made everything clearer.
The receptionist was polite but her english was poor and my husband was a bit confused about where to go to park, as she didnt seem to know where he should go herself. He eventually made it to the long stay car park abut 5 mins drive away and got a shuttle bus back. The room itself was clean and comfy with tea/coffee facilities, double bed and a double sofa bed which the children used. There was also TV/radio. For a stop over, it was fine, and is only about a 1-2 min walk from departures.
On our return to the UK we caught the shuttle bus back to the long stay carpark and proceeded to the exit. The car park said it's exit operated on number plate recognition and as we sat at the barrier expecting it to open as we'd pre-paid nothing happened. we pressed the help button and were told by the security guy at the other end, that the hotel receptionist should have told my husband to check in with security first and they would have set up his details, and it was only if booked direct with NCP that the number plate recognition worked. Again a sign at the entrance would have helped??
Luckily I had in my hand bag the original info I'd printed off, from our on line booking with novotel and when I gave him booking numbers etc he was able to verify we'd paid. If i hadn't have had it we would have had to pay £100 parking fee to get out and then claim back with novotel after. Security told us we weren't the first who hadn't been given the info...this was poor and I did inform the Novotel Manager by email. How did mail back to apologise, and said he was dealing with the issue.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled with family
Ian_Dick, General Manager at Novotel Birmingham Airport, responded to this reviewResponded 28 February 2013

Dear Reviewer, I’m very grateful that you could take time to leave us your thoughts and write a review. I would like to sincerely apologize for the issue you experienced with the car parking. I would like to assure you that I will personally look into the issue you with my team to resolve for the future. We look forward to seeing you soon. Kind regards Ian Dick

Reviewed 27 February 2013

After an extremely long day at work I checked in late but at a pre-paid rate of £135, so hardly cheap. My room had a very noisy fan in the wall right by the bed. I asked to be moved. Reception said all rooms are like this, it's the wind through the fans and refused initially to show me another room so I could check, saying every room had already been taken and argued with me in my room for 5 mins before I insisted on going back to reception and waiting for them to move me. Surprise surprise they found another room, just near the first so back we traipsed. I had quite a bit of luggage to transport and at no point did he offer to help with my bags. 2nd room had the same problem but as it was now past midnight and with an early start the next day I lost the will to live and had to put up with a really bad night sleep. I won't be back, chose this over the Ibis because its more stars, but they don't deserve them

• Stayed: February 2013

Dear Reviewer, I’m very grateful that you could take time to leave us your thoughts and write a review. I would like to sincerely apologize for the issues you had experienced during your recent stay with us. I would be grateful if you could contact me on 0121 7827000 so that I we can discuss the matter further, to enable me to fully investigate the matter. We look forward to seeing you soon. Kind regards Ian Dick

Reviewed 22 February 2013

We stayed for a night here after I met my partner from his late flight into the UK. We were getting an early train from the International train station to London and this was ideal. The hotel is located right opposite the airport terminal. If you're heading here from the train station or the NEC (It's ideal for both) just get the Sky Rail across to the airport, as you arrive in the terminal take the small escalator straight on your right, down and the main door is right in-front of you. Cross over the road and the hotel is right there.

Check in was a breeze and the staff are friendly and helpful. We had a drink first in the hotel bar. This is a nice area with a good ambiance but the prices are quite steep, certainly in line with the airport, needless to say we only had the one!

The room was fairly large and clean. We had a double room, it's basic but has everything you need. The bed was very comfortable. I was worried about the sleep quality but even though you are right opposite the airport you don't hear any noise whatsoever. It's seriously quiet! This is down to the fact that there's two sets of double glazed windows!

As previously mentioned the toilet and bathroom are separate. They are also both kept separate by another door which is handy. I liked this set up. Having a partner who spends ages in the loo usually means that I can't get to the bathroom but this time I could which suited me just fine!

Both rooms were very clean, I liked the shower as it has the option of a fixed and flexible nozzle with large heads and good water pressure. There's a nice unique shaped sink and plenty of lovely towels. Plus a selection of toiletries are provided.

There's a safe and mini bar in the room. The mini bar was pretty expensive so we didn't take anything. There's plenty of wardrobe space and a couch for watching television. There's plenty of mirrors and plugs, always handy.

We didn't have breakfast included so I can't comment on it but as you're so close to the airport there is food places nearby like Burger King, Subway, Wetherspoons & Frankie and Bennys.

In summary, it's a nice hotel in a very conveniant location. Perfect for a late night or early morning flight, visiting the NEC or catching a train from the International. It's also only a ten minute train ride into Birmingham New Street.

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled as a couple
Ian_Dick, General Manager at Novotel Birmingham Airport, responded to this reviewResponded 26 February 2013

Dear Reviewer, I’m very grateful that you could take time to leave us your thoughts and write a review. I’m so pleased you enjoyed your stay with us. We look forward to seeing you soon. Kind regards Ian Dick

Reviewed 21 February 2013

I understand what you pay for a room has a bearing on your overall experience. As I booked late, all that was left was an "executive" room at a ridiculously expensive price! (I have stayed at a five star cheaper). I consoled myself thinking I would enjoy all the extras a room that price will offer. Unfortunately the room appeared to be exactly the same as the superior rooms in the photos. Our room was no larger than many standard rooms in other hotels and was tired looking. We did receive free internet/tv, a small bottle of water each, a pair of slippers and one bathrobe. We also had use of a Nespresso coffee machine.
If I had paid £90/100 for the room I would have thought it was reasonable value for money. Sleep experience not great due to noisy air con. The room was clean, but the carpet was grubby. The staff were very friendly and efficient and the hotel is ideal for the airport.

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank llightley
Ian_Dick, General Manager at Novotel Birmingham Airport, responded to this reviewResponded 22 February 2013

Dear Reviewer, I’m very grateful that you could take time to leave us your thoughts and write a review. I would like to thank you for your constructive comments, I would like to assure you that I will personally look into the noisy air-conditioning and the carpet in this room. We look forward to seeing you soon. Kind regards Ian Dick

Reviewed 20 February 2013

I am a fan of Novotel, so when a great rate for Birmingham Airport came up for the night before a flight I was happy to book. The room was described as a Family Room with Queen Bed and Two convertible sofas, so in my mind the room would be huge. The reality was that it was a regular room with the convertible sofa pulling out as two singles rather than a double – still better than a double sofa bed for our set up.

Unlike other Novotels, there is only a bath with a shower above it (as opposed to the separate shower found in the new builds). Still a separate toilet though, which is always pleasing. Also the room had an additional inner door to keep out the noise from the corridor, which was great and should be a standard fitting on all hotels (airport or otherwise) in my opinion.

No view to speak of from the first floor and a bit of noise from the bar downstairs, but that quietened down at around midnight. I did have a drink at the bar and was disappointed there were no real ales, but the Murphy’s was still pretty good.

The huge plus to this hotel is being able to walk out of the front door, cross the road and be at the check in desk.

Would happily stay again.

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled with family

Dear Reviewer, I’m very grateful that you could take time to leave us your thoughts and write a review. I would like to thank you for your constructive comments I will share them with my team. We look forward to seeing you soon. Kind regards Ian Dick