“Location is the main attraction”

Novotel Birmingham Airport
Ranked #28 of 118 Hotels in Birmingham
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed 5 March 2014

Sadly, the location of this hotel is the only redeeming feature. The 'suite' was not to 4* standard in anyway. Small room, separate tiny toilet room which was next to the bathroom, very strange as you then had to leave the toilet to enter to bathroom to wash your hands... not particularly nice. Very basic tea/coffee facilities - even a little hot chocolate option would have been appreciated especially as we arrived late at night. The decoration of the room was very dated with anaglypta on the walls. The restaurant was ok, again it was fairly basic with simple selection of food such as burgers, fish & chips, expensive for what it was - breakfast around £17 when you can easily walk across & get an equally good if not better one over at Frankie & Benny's right inside the terminal. The location was perfect for the airport, the monorail was equally convenient too - this hotel is perfect if you don't really care about the style & or taste of your room & don't mind paying over the odds for the location.

Room Tip: Ask for a room to be away from the lifts if possible.
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
Ian_Dick, General Manager at Novotel Birmingham Airport, responded to this reviewResponded 7 March 2014

I am sorry that on this occasion that you were disappointed with your stay. I treat all feedback with the upmost importance, I do appreciate you taking the time to tell me about your recent visit. I look forward to welcoming you back to the Hotel very soon. Kind regards, Ian Dick

Write a ReviewReviews (2,556)

Reviewed 1 March 2014 via mobile

The room is very similar to what you would find in a Premier Inn with the exception that the tv here is bigger. Oddly the toilet is in a tiny room of its own separate to the bathroom. I don't understand this as you have to go in the bathroom anyway to wash your hands. This aside everything was in good condition and very clean.

The bar area is nice enough and the restaurant serves a good range of food with main courses around £15-20. The service in the restaurant was very good. If you wanted something else there is a Frankie & Bennys and a Burger King in the airport just 2 minutes walk away.

The free skyrail to the train station is located upstairs in the airport departures building near Frankie & Bennys. It runs every 2 mins and takes 90 secs. The NEC is around another 5-10 minutes walk (inside).

Car parking is expensive. I had to use the NCP multistory just across the road at £27 for 24 hours.

For future NEC trips I may consider staying further out and driving in the NEC in the morning. It would be much cheaper. For those using the airport it really could not be any closer.

Stayed: March 2014, travelled solo
Ian_Dick, General Manager at Novotel Birmingham Airport, responded to this reviewResponded 4 March 2014

Thank you very much for your kind review. It is much appreciated and I can assure you that my team will be delighted to hear that you enjoyed your stay. I am sorry to hear that you had to pay £27 for the car parking, as we have a discount in place with the NCP for our guests. I look forward to welcoming you back again very soon. Kind regards, Ian Dick

Reviewed 25 February 2014

... thus extremely convenient for an early morning flight and this was the reason for my booking. Rooms are absolutely fine for an overnighter - comfy bed, warm and quiet.
The customer service is excellent. Staff courteous and friendly. Piotr from Poland was full of helpful tips for our future trip to Krakov. Thanks.

I am returning again in March with the kids. Can't wait to share a room with them!!!!!!!

Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank sideshowsusie
Ian_Dick, General Manager at Novotel Birmingham Airport, responded to this reviewResponded 27 February 2014

Thank you very much for your kind review. It is much appreciated and I can assure you that my team will be delighted to hear that you enjoyed your stay. I look forward to welcoming you back again very soon. Kind regards, Ian Dick

Reviewed 25 February 2014

Overall this is a good hotel. We have found the staff exceptionally friendly and helpful, except the one we had at breakfast who seemed unable to clear our table. We ended up stacking our crockery up to make room for our other dishes. In the end we cleared our own table onto a nearby empty table.Oddly she laid our table with clean napkins and cutlery while we were still sitting at it! But still didnt clear the table!
The bedrooms are clean and adequate; a bit like a slightly upmarket travelodge. Bed very comfy and large. Food was good, especially my lamb rump, but way overpriced we felt.We will use it again as it is so convenient for rail and plane, but wouldnt use it as a holiday base for more than one night.

Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank satellina
Ian_Dick, General Manager at Novotel Birmingham Airport, responded to this reviewResponded 26 February 2014

Thank you for your feedback. We treat all of our comments with the utmost seriousness and we will be investigating this matter accordingly. We look forward to welcoming you back very soon. Kind regards, Ian Dick

Reviewed 24 February 2014

This was my first stay at a Novotel and it will certainly be my last. I've stayed in many 4 Star hotels and this hotel falls far short of my expectations of 4 Star standards. My 'superior' room was clean and tidy, but the bathroom had an awfully musty smell and the separate toilet area is small and cramped. The bed was very uncomfortable and squeaked every time I moved. The room was not near a lift but there was the constant noise of machinery that sounded like a lift going up and down.

I ordered room service but was told I had to pay cash when it arrived. When I said I had no cash and wanted it charging to my room I was told this wasn't possible and I would have to contact Reception if I wanted to sort it out. The Receptionist was helpful and released my account so that I could charge room service to it, but offered no explanation for the issue. I really don't understand why the person in the restaurant who took my call couldn't have taken ownership of the issue and sorted it out (and before the hotel says it was busy, I had walked past the restaurant five minutes earlier and only two tables were occupied).

Overall, my impression is that as the only 4 Start hotel within walking distance of the Terminal at Birmingham Airport, they believe they don't have to try hard to attract business. And in my experience, they certainly don't try hard.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank Ian G
Ian_Dick, General Manager at Novotel Birmingham Airport, responded to this reviewResponded 25 February 2014

I am sorry that on this occasion that you were disappointed with your stay. I treat all feedback with the utmost seriousness and I am currently investigating this matter. Please feel free to contact me on 0121 7827000 to discuss this further. Kind regards, Ian Dick

Reviewed 23 February 2014

I normally stay at the Ibis hotel next door, all part of the Accor Group. My decision to stay at the Novotel was based on the cost. I was able to reserve an Executive room with full breakfast, inclusive of taxes for £81! during the second week in January '14. Normally during week days this can be as much as £200 plus.
I noted, by chance that a special offer was available provided I made a reservation before 31 December last year.
The 'upgrade' rooms are well appointed, however certainly not worth more than £100. If your company has a corporate rate, then this will not be an issue. I do not have that arrangement.
The beds are very comfortable, the double glazing helps keep any undue noise out. The particular room I occupied: 419 had a separate toilet -a bit odd! The exterior of the hotel is begining to show its age and could do with a re-vamp.
I would make particular mention of the staff, always most helpful in general and in particular the bar. I have always found exceptional courteous attention when enjoying a drink. Two waiters: Erhan and more recently Eduardo deserve merit. Even if I am staying next door at the Ibis I still like to visit the Novotel bar. The breakfast is well presented and had options for everyone, be it continential or cooked.
I suggest the reviewer check the rates and see if a 'bargain' can be found at this convenient and efficient hotel.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled solo
Ian_Dick, General Manager at Novotel Birmingham Airport, responded to this reviewResponded 24 February 2014

Reviewed 23 February 2014

Just spent 2 nights here whilst on a 3 day event at the NEC. I know we stayed on the airport because the terminal was opposite. could we hear the aircraft. No...... Lovely stay and the rooms were a good size as was the shower area. Great stay and would definitely stay again. Staff very friendly and helpful.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business

Also consider these accommodations in or near Birmingham
Ibis Birmingham Airport - NEC
Travelodge Birmingham Airport
Travelodge Birmingham Airport
#19 of 118 in Birmingham
Arden Hotel & Leisure Club

Been to Novotel Birmingham Airport? Share your experiences!