“Excellent”

Ranked #24 of 117 Hotels in Birmingham
GreenLeadersBronze level
“Excellent”
Reviewed 20 March 2014

Had a meeting at hotel , bar staff were outstanding in there customer service. Would highly recommend . Very clean modern hotel. Food was excellent and would definitely use the hotel again. Many thanks

• Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Happyzzz123
Ian_Dick, General Manager at Novotel Birmingham Airport, responded to this review, 31 March 2014
Thank you very much for your kind review. It is much appreciated and I can assure you that my team will be delighted to hear that you enjoyed your stay. I look forward to welcoming you back again very soon. Kind regards, Ian Dick

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (288)
  • Finnish first
Washington, United Kingdom
Reviewed 19 March 2014 via mobile

I am on my first night of two as I write this review and I have to say that in all of my 55 years I have never been so upset by the total lack of care from staff in any establishment I have ever used.

On arrival I was stuck in the lift for over 45 minutes, during which time very little communication was made by staff despite the the normal expectation being to check on anybody trapped in a lift every 5 minutes we went over 30 minutes with out being asked if we were still ok. This was even though we had informed staff that one of the occupants in the lift was claustrophobic!

Once out of the lift I found that my room for single occupancy had been set for three people and had to be remade.

As I had been trapped in the lift for all of that time I had gone over the 20 minutes allowed in the drop off car park, the staff did arrange for me to get out of the car park so I could park up for two nights. However they did not inform that there was a discounted rate in the car parks closest to the hotel, so on seeing that it was £27 per day to park in those car parks I decided to use the long stay car park. Once in the car park ( this is not down to the hotel) I walked to get the shuttle bus back to the terminal. Seeing that a bus was coming as I was opposite the pick up point and did not want to walk in front of the bus I stopped and was acknowledged by the bus driver who then did not stop to pick me up.

Once back in the hotel the reception staff did not seem concerned that I had been trapped in the lift. They did however go and remake the room.

In the bar, as it was now to late for the restaurant, I was asked not to order at the bar but to take a seat and they would take my order. It took almost 15 minutes to take my order while others who arrived after me had had their orders taken. It then took a further 10 minutes to bring the glass of tap water I had requested to go with my food.

All in all this is the worst service I have ever experienced!

This place might do if you are flying from the airport but with the cost of parking and the poor service do not think about using this hotel for the NEC. Better to stay 50 miles away and drive in on a daily basis.

Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank D_Marshallwashington
I am sorry to hear that you had been stuck in the lift for a considerable amount of time. I treat all feedback with the utmost seriousness, I am currently investigating this matter with my team with regards to your comments. Please feel free to contact me on 0121 7827000 to discuss this further. Kind regards, Ian Dick
Martorell, Spain
Reviewed 19 March 2014

I stayed at this hotel in March 2014 because I had a trade show in the national motorcycle museum that is a few miles away. This hotel is beautifully refurbished and the bedrooms are very large. Check-in was slow because I got asked a million questions that put me on edge a bit because we only got free parking for 20 mins then after that it is about 30 pounds per hour!!! But it all worked out ok. The rooms are large and the bed was comfortable. There were hot drinks in the room and many channels on the TV. I had full control of the temperature of my room and the shower was excellent.

My only weird experiance was dinner. The quality of the food was good but a bit expensive. But for people who are traveling alone they had single tables with a TV that I though was well though out. Once I was shown my table and given a menu the chap took 10 mins to take my order then 10 mins later the waiter gave me my drink and 5 minutes after this a waitress came over with my starter in one hand and my main course in the other and she asked me if I wanted them together or the starter first. I found this very weird because why would I want my starter and main course at the same time?! Once I finished my starter it took an age for my main course to come and once I finished this I ordered an ice cream desert and this took 30 mins to come and I nearly gave up. In the morning the breakfast was very nice as it was a buffet!

• Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank FieldFace
Thank you very much for your kind review. It is much appreciated and I can assure you that my team will be delighted to hear that you enjoyed your stay. I would also like to thank you for letting me know about your experience in the Restaurant, I will share this with my team. I look forward to welcoming you back again very soon. Kind regards, Ian Dick
Exeter, United Kingdom
Reviewed 19 March 2014

We stayed at the Novotel prior to our flight to Egypt, we were greeted with friendly attentive staff, after our journey upto Birmingham a great start to our holiday. Our room was clean and had everything that we needed for our short stay we were travelling with our daughter and the room was ample in size for the 3 of us. Check out was easy and quick and due to the hotels location we were in departures ready to check in to our flight within 5 minutes. Great stuff.

Room Tip: We booked a room that would be roomy enough for 3 people which it was.
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Micky T
Caerleon, United Kingdom
Reviewed 16 March 2014

We stayed as a couple overnight on the 23 Feb. prior to flying the next day.
Very convenient for departure and a comfortable hotel with clean spacious rooms.
Rooms have a W.C. separate from the bathroom, which is advantageous when two people are getting ready to leave.
It is a better standard than the Ibyss around the corner but also more expensive ( e.g. meals about 30% more).Choice comes down to what meets individual preferences. We booked through 'Thomsons Extras' to also use the night before luggage drop off ( Thomsons need to sort out desk 29 intended for this purpose but unmanned with no advice/ telephone no. when we arrived!)
As part of the package we parked at Maccadown Lane but it is inconvenient and next time we will stay at the Novotel, eat at the Ibyss and park near/on airport, possible with the hotel direct.

Room Tip: All rooms seem okay for purpose
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank pater41
Ian_Dick, General Manager at Novotel Birmingham Airport, responded to this review, 1 April 2014
Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed 15 March 2014 via mobile

Stayed here for 3 nights with work.
Upon arrival the place looks nice and modern, but when you look a little closer it's the small things that let the place down.
1. Arrived to find someone had already slep in the bed.
2. They gave me another room next to the service lift, which is loud when in use & yep that's through the night.
3. You can hear the people in the room next door urinate (not vey pleasant at all)
4. The milk jigs in the fridge in the room were off.
5. Coffee was cold at breakfast on all 3 of the mornings.
6. Wifi was down during my stay
7. The shower didn't get hot only lukewarm
To be fair the staff were pleasant, the the hotel is clean & if I was catching an early flight I would probably stay here but only for one night. Next time I think I would head in to the city.

Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Jen J
I am sorry that on this occasion that you were disappointed with your stay. I treat all feedback with the utmost seriousness and I am currently investigating this matter. Please feel free to contact me on 01217827000 to discuss this further. Kind regards, Ian Dick