“Location great, but otherwise not.”

Novotel Birmingham Airport
Ranked #24 of 117 Hotels in Birmingham
GreenLeadersBronze level
Teesside, England
“Location great, but otherwise not.”
Reviewed 7 May 2014

Stayed here on a deal including parking with airparks. Be warned airparks is a long way out.
Arrived and used the the auto check in as the reception staff where busy. Would recommend using this as its a lot quicker.
Rooms are ok and clean but would say Premier inn are better and comfier beds. But you do get a free safe to use. Rooms are quiet even though next to the airport.
Had a few drinks in the bar and decided to eat in there too. Food was fairly good. Burgers where very good. After spending the evening in there with food and drinks and a early flight in the morning I went to pay the bill. This was the main disappointment of the hotel! My card was refused, we had witnessed this at a few tables sat near us. Tried another card same again! The bar manager was very apologetic, it starts to worry you then. We where travelling the next day and did not want cards blocking!
The bar manager with apologies took me to the restaurant to use there machine and then left me with the manager there. Tried again, refused again. Tried the second card and same again but along with a smug remark from the manager "huh! refused too" with a shrug of his shoulders. So very annoying after spending nearly £100 on food and drink.
My partner used her card, same account and guess what it worked, but once again a smug shrug of the shoulders from the manager, handing back the card and saying nothing. Not even a thank you!
Good location. Not to bad a room for our short stay. Maybe we might use again if certain attitudes change as that can spoil a visit.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank neilnsarah
Ian_Dick, General Manager at Novotel Birmingham Airport, responded to this review, 9 May 2014
Thank you for your feedback. We treat all of our comments with the utmost seriousness and I will personally be investigating this matter with my team. I do hope that we can welcome you back to the Hotel very soon. Kind regards, Ian Dick

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (280)
  • Finnish first
Exeter, United Kingdom
Reviewed 30 April 2014 via mobile

We stayed for one night before and early flight, and I would say it was great. It is a basic clean and friendly hotel with a comfortable bed, very suitable for the one night stay before or tafter travel through Birmingham airport.
Our only complaint would be please put some signs up for where the entrance is, as we spent some time looking for it, having been dropped off the bus supplied by the car parking.
The staff were friendly and helpful. I actually forgot my phone charger in the hotel room, 3 weeks later I called and spoke to housekeeping, who searched for, found, and returned it to me without a charge, which I think is fantastic service.
We would definitely use again.

Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
Ian_Dick, General Manager at Novotel Birmingham Airport, responded to this review, 1 May 2014
Thank you very much for your kind review. It is much appreciated and I can assure you that my team will be delighted to hear that you enjoyed your stay. I look forward to welcoming you back again very soon. Kind regards, Ian Dick
UK
Reviewed 28 April 2014

Have stayed two or three times since the beginning of this year and given the nature of the business (busy airport etc) it is remarkable how consistently good the product is. The physical aspects of the hotel are going to require attention very soon, especially the guest rooms some of which are a little tired, but it is the staff that continue to impress. The buffet breakfast is excellent and the standard all-day dining menu is not bad if you choose carefully. Keep up the good work guys.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
Ian_Dick, General Manager at Novotel Birmingham Airport, responded to this review, 30 April 2014
Northampton, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 April 2014

After arriving at the airport to catch a plane to SFO via Dublin I discovered to my horror that I had neglected to fill-in our ESTA forms....YIKES!!
The airline were wonderful....everything transferred to the next day.......but the car had gone into the car parking ether!!
The Novotel was opposite the departure terminal, and what a welcome sight it was at 8.30am on a Saturday morning.
The reception staff were calm, polite and endearing, always empathic to our plight ! We opted for an executive room and also the breakfast (as it was only 8.45am and we had been up since 5.45am).
The room was superb really with views over the terminal but high enough up to see all of the activity on the tarmac and car park. You will be pleased to note that there was absolutely no noise at all from aircraft, people etc.
The room facilities were excellent and spacious. We ventured down to reception to collect a free "Independent" newspaper and simply "chilled" for the day.
As evening approached we decided to go into the terminal as there is a wonderful Marks & Spencer Food shop...............we suitably grabbed some great food ,wine etc and as our room had a dining "like" table we had ourselves a fairly typical Saturday night in with the telly!!
I wish I had a Novotel bed at home though............................it was simply wonderful, comfy and I really didn't want to get out of it.
We opted not to have the breakfast but used the tea & coffee making facilities in the room and all bottled water was free too........as well as our Wi-Fi connection!!
Many thanks Novotel......I would use you again!!

AJB

Room Tip: Choose executive
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
Den Bosch, The Netherlands
Reviewed 26 April 2014

As per my review for the neighbouring IBIS a couple of weeks ago, I had low expectations for Novotel. However, these expectations were outperformed. I need to be realistic: had it not been for the convenience of staying at the airport as I had a 6 o'clock morning flight, I would have written a different review probably, but all in all fact is I liked the Novotel far more than IBIS. The reception was very friendly. They have a nice bar area and separate restaurant, where I enjoyed a not too bad dinner. Basic wifi is free although very slow for anything else than basic e-mail, however, you can buy a quicker connection if you want. The room I had was spacious and I paid about 60% of what I paid at the IBIS. So next time I fly out from Birmingham I would not be worried to stay at the Novotel.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank DeKokkies
Ian_Dick, General Manager at Novotel Birmingham Airport, responded to this review, 28 April 2014
Leicester - UK
Reviewed 26 April 2014

On the assumption that you will probably only stay at an airport because you have a silly o'clock flight the next morning this hotel certainly pushes all the buttons. A very short walk over the road to check in and departures puts you where you need to be quickly but as anything more this doesn't deliver.
The advantage is that you can pre-pay but even having all the paperwork done in advance you still feel as though check-in is harder work than it needs to be. Even handing your key card back in as you leave can be a performance as they insist on quizzing you although they must realise that you are in a hurry.
It does food and drink but quality and value aren't anything special. The rooms are adequate, beds comfortable (but why do hotels tuck the duvet in all round meaning that if you are thicker than a sheet of paper you must pull it out leaving the bottom sheet loose to get in) and relatively quiet for the location. I was a bit surprised that the toilet was separate to the bathroom - leaving it so small as to make use difficult for us larger bods.
So basically it will do and I will use it again but its a case of arrive late and leave early, use it simply to crash.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank Peter_Bromley
Bedford, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 24 April 2014

My partner and I stayed in the Novotel for an evening after a show at the NEC. It was extremely easy to get to from the train station, there is a free shuttle service, and we were very pleased with our room.

We were greeted and served promptly, and the room was clean and comfortable. Fantastic facilities (only concern was the shower sprayed onto the floor as the shower glass was quite short!).

Overall we were very pleased, great value for money, and we'd stay there again.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
Ian_Dick, General Manager at Novotel Birmingham Airport, responded to this review, 25 April 2014