“Simple and chic but lacks that personal touch!”

Novotel Birmingham Centre
Ranked #43 of 118 Hotels in Birmingham
GreenLeadersBronze level
Launceston, United Kingdom
“Simple and chic but lacks that personal touch!”
Reviewed 11 August 2011

I arrived late - could find my booking but not my check in details. This took a considerable amount of time to sort. The room is what you would expect, basic but comfortable. The wi-fi is charged extra and is something you need to sort out individually. The breakfast was good and the service was attentive and friendly. There was a prom taking place and the music could be heard several floors up. I feel this should have been pointed out when the booking was made. Given that there were large groups of teenagers in the hotel. The hotel generally had a nice open feel to it, but it just lacked that personal attention. I used the steam room and was informed that the sauna worked - it didn't while I was there.
I did ask to be contacted given that I would be travelling to Birmingham for several months. My details were taken and I never heard anymore - this I feel is bad customer service!

• Stayed July 2011, travelled solo
NovotelBirminghamGM, General Manager at Novotel Birmingham Centre, responded to this review, 30 August 2011
Thank you for taking the time to write a review about your recent visit to at Novotel Birmingham Centre. I’m delighted that you enjoyed your stay and we have noted your comments, which we will address where appropriate. We have also been trying to contact this guest to further our business relationship and will continue to do so. I hope we can look forward to welcoming you back very soon. Kind regards, Richard Marsh, General Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (220)
  • Polish first
Market Harborough, United Kingdom
Reviewed 3 August 2011

This is right in the middle of a very liverly Broad Street which is great for Restaurnats and other entertainmnet. A bit too lively on a Sat night though if you do want to get a totally undisturbed sleep - probably dependent on where your room is though?

• Stayed July 2011, travelled as a couple
Glad you had a good time at Novotel Birmingham Centre! Hope to see you again.
Kind regards, Richard Marsh, General Manager.
Edinburgh
Reviewed 31 July 2011

My family and I stayed for one night inJuly. My husband and 11 year old daughter were just over halfway through a 500 mile sponsored tandem ride from Edinburgh to South Wales. The staff could not have been more supportive and really interested in what we were trying to achieve. They provided space to store the tandem overnight and we had a very comfortable night at the hotel. The rooms were clean and well equipped. Thank you all for everything you did for us!

• Stayed July 2011, travelled with family
Thank you for your very kind words. They are very much appreciated and my team will be delighted to hear that you enjoyed yourselves in Birmingham. We very much look forward to welcoming you back at Novotel Birmingham Centre. Kind regards, Richard Marsh, General Manager.
St. Petersburg, Russia
Reviewed 28 July 2011

This is a very nice hotel just a few steps away from Brindley Place and the canals. I was in Birmingham for a conference that was held at the International Convention Centre, which is only a few minutes’ walk from the hotel, so the location was perfect. It is also within walking distance from the city’s central squares, the Museum and Art Gallery and the New Street, which is the main shopping street.

I had requested a quiet room and I did get a very quiet room with a super comfy king-size bed and a sofa. There was a plasma TV with a lot of channels and a choice of paid movies.

The bathroom was a good size with a bathtub instead of a shower cabin (which is a plus point) but the bathtub screen did not fit tightly so however careful you were, water was still splashed on the floor as you were taking a shower (a minus point).

Breakfast was good but nothing out of the ordinary. In my case, it was included but if you book it separately, it is 13 pounds, which I think is a bit overpriced.

The hotel offers an ADSL Internet connection but they charge you extra for it, and there is also a wi-fi connection but that’s through Orange so it is fairly expensive. Not worth paying for the hotel internet anyway because the nearby International Convention Centre has free wi-fi.

There is a Sainsbury’s Local right next door to the hotel, and that’s a huge advantage if you want to grab a sandwich to go, and there are lots of very nice cafes and restaurant in the area.

They have now completed the repair works that some reviews were complaining about and the hotel service is generally good so I would definitely recommend it.

Room Tip: ask for a quiet room and you will get it
  • Stayed July 2011, travelled on business
NovotelBirminghamGM, General Manager at Novotel Birmingham Centre, responded to this review, 29 July 2011
So glad you had an enjoyable time in Birmingham, whilst staying at the Novotel! I can confirm we have completed our ground floor refurbishment to a very high standard. This follows the upgrade of all of our bedrooms to Novation standard and also the upgrading of our corridors. I have taken note of the matters you have mentioned. We very much appreciate your feedback and we hope to see you again soon.
Kind regards, Richard Marsh, General Manager
Oxfordshire
Reviewed 25 July 2011

We stayed here for one night (Friday). We had stayed a few years ago, but the hotel has recently been refurbished to a good standard. Good choice for events in centre of Birmingham, we were at a concert at the Symphony Hall so perfect. Breakfast very good. Secure parking £13 so not too bad for city centre. All in all perfectly fine and would stay again if could get a good deal direct from the hotel website.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled with family
Thanks for your review. I’m glad you had a good stay with us at Novotel Birmingham Centre and I hope to see you on your next trip. We would reccommend that all guests follow your lead and book directly on novotel.com, where some great deals can be found!.........Kind regards, Richard Marsh, General Manager.
Reviewed 18 July 2011

Hotel was fantasic valve for money, great location being on broad street, really clean, staff very helpful, under ground parking, breakfast was good, lots of choice, the only down side would be the price of the drinks at the bar !

• Stayed July 2011
Thank you for posting your thoughts on here, we really value your feedback. I look forward to welcoming you back at Novotel Birmingham Centre. Kind regards, Richard Marsh, General Manager.