“outstanding*”

Novotel Birmingham Centre
Ranked #47 of 118 Hotels in Birmingham
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed 25 November 2011

WOW! we stayed here after a horrible night at travelodge. The check-in man was really friendly and happy which really reasured us about the hotel. The apprence of the hotel is good on the outside however on the inside it gets much better! It was the most amazing hotel i have stayed in! I had my own room which was really nice. I had a brilliant nights sleep, the bed was amazingly great!

The bath room and the hotel room was clean "you could eat your dinner off the floor" the room included a mini-bar which included pringles, mars bars, compementry cold milk and alcohol. I did not use the mini-bar but some customers might. The room had a coffee machine in it!. It was a moden and stylish room and i would recomend it to everyone.

brilliant! i had never been inside this hotel before i only go past it on my way to work, but it is great!

WELL RECOMENDED!

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled with family
NovotelBirminghamGM, General Manager at Novotel Birmingham Centre, responded to this reviewResponded 1 December 2011

My team and I very much appreciate your kind words, and we’re glad to have been a part of your visit. Our aim is to ensure that every guest departs feeling the way that you do! We look forward to welcoming you back to the Novotel Birmingham Centre.
Kind regards, Richard Marsh, General Manager

Write a ReviewReviews (1,501)

Reviewed 24 November 2011

We stayed in this hotel as it was very near the Symphony Hall where we saw John Barrowman (a great night!). We arrived a little early but there was no problem in finding out that a room was ready. The reception area looked very clean and the receptionist was quite charming. Our bedroom was lovely, clean and the furnishings were lovely. We had a full complement of bath and shower products and because we had booked an executive room, we had complementary water in the small fridge. The restaurant manager and bar staff were also extremely pleasant. We ate in the 'Elements' restaurant and although we needed to leave the hotel by 6.45pm, again, there was no problem with our wanting to eat early. The food was wonderful, freshly cooked and served with a smile! I had the Sea Bass - some of the best I've tasted! Breakfast was very nice too - the usual types of food and plenty of it! The only problem we had was with noisy residents - a lot of conference delegates (judging by the state of them there would be no work done the next day!!) However this is just par for the course - I would certainly stay there again and definitely recommend it!

Room Tip: We booked an executive room with breakfast and would do so again. The standard of rooms is excelle...
  • Stayed: November 2011, travelled as a couple

Many thanks for the review. We always welcome feedback and my team and I are glad that you enjoyed your stay with us at the Novotel Birmingham Centre. I hope we can be part of your future travel plans.

Reviewed 24 November 2011

Still a great hotel . Family room is large enough for three. Some items not working as they should - air con, badly designed bathroom doors, very high level of street noise (even after double glazing?). Breakfast is self service , so plenty to eat and choose from - the best in the hotel business for its value. Some standards slipping in the restraunt with service - which is a shame.
All concerns and issues expertly dealt with by the reception staff next day - they are really world class. Everything written down, explanations given were possible and I left believing that they wanted to make sure these things were sorted asap. They turned a bad experience of sorts into something which makes me feel I want to give them a second chance.

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled with family

I’m delighted you enjoyed your stay. Please rest assured that I have taken note of your comments and the issues you have mentioned have ben reported and will be addressed. I hope we can welcome you back to the Novotel Birmingham Centre very soon.

A TripAdvisor Member
Luton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 November 2011

Very good stay. .The rooms was very clean and well organised apart from the toilet room. The toilet room did not have it's own wash hand basin. You had to come out of the toilet room and go to the bath/shower room to use the wash hand basin. The only other thing I found, was that the bed was very hard when laying on it. Other than those two comments, the stay was very good. The breakfast had a very wide range of items, and the hot food was excellent. I found the staff very polite and very helpful. and I would be happy to stay there again.

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled as a couple

Thanks for leaving your thoughts here. The team and I are glad that you enjoyed your stay, and we’ve taken note of your comments. Please be assured that we will address them where we can. Kind regards, Richard Marsh, General Manager

Reviewed 22 November 2011

This is a well run efficient almost right in the city centre hotel, We needed quiet and convenience and the hotel delivered. And if a real test of a dining room is when you are tired on a Friday evening , then this was excellent .. good food , happy service, very pleasant staff

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled on business

Thank you for your kind comments and compliments. Our restaurant team and kitchen brigade are delighted you enjoyed your meal. I am so pleased that you enjoyed your stay at Novotel Birmingham Centre and look forward to welcoming you back again soon. Kind regards, Richard Marsh, General Manager.

Reviewed 22 November 2011

i have stayed in quite a few Novotels around the world and this one is a poor one. The public areas (restaurant, bar and lounge) are modernised and look super, however the bedrooms where it counts.... let the whole property down) please modernise your rooms!!

(The Twin bedded room were of a double size so as family rooms they can work very well. (Mom and Dad and 2 kids)

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled with family

Many thanks for letting us know your thoughts. We are delighted with the recent ground floor refurbishment and are receiving many positive comments about these areas. Please rest assured we are conitnually refurbishing our bedroom stock, however I will attempt to identify the room you used and specifically inspect it to ensure where appropriate, it is brought up to standard.
With kind regards, Richard Marsh, General Manager

Reviewed 16 November 2011

Stayed here after getting an all inclusive deal online which meant we could have a nicer room with all media and breakfast thrown in. Check in was a bit confusing as they didn't confirm what we got with our package and although I knew about the media being free, I didn't know that breakfast was as well so we missed that both days we stayed. Other hotels we've stayed in have confirmed everything to me verbally at check in so I think this could be improved on.

Room, cleanliness and location were good as ever but this time the visit was spoiled by the attitude of two members of staff. We had bought some food from a Chinese restaurant and we wanted to eat it in the room so the man at check in told me that I could get some cutlery from the bar which is next to the restaurant. I walked over to the bar where the barman and a restaurant worker were chatting with their backs to me. The barman glanced behind him, saw me, rolled his eyes and carried on talking. I then said "Excuse me," and he turned round and said "Yes?" I asked him if we could have some cutlery and again he rolled his eyes, then said to the other worker, "Get her some cutlery, yeah?" I said that we only needed a spoon and a fork, whereupon he sighed, lent his head against the coffee machine in front of him, and called to the worker "She wants a spoon too," and the worker tutted and shook her head and picked up a spoon as well as a knife and fork from a trolley next to the bar. She put them on the bar in front of me, rolled her eyes and they both turned their backs on me again and started to laugh. I really felt like they couldn't even be bothered to be polite and they were looking down on me for asking for something as simple as cutlery and making out that I was inconveniencing them in a huge way. They obviously couldn't be bothered to hide their displeasure that I had interrupted their conversation and I complained about this on checkout but the staff behind the desk just shrugged, which I thought was also bad customer service.

I actually filled out a customer satisfaction survey that the hotel sent me in an email a few days after we returned home and I told them about this incident. I got a reply saying that those members of staff had been spoken to about their attitude towards hotel guests and their lack of respect, which is all very well but it really spoilt our visit. We will think twice about staying here again, even if the deal we get is very good, as it has left a nasty taste in our mouths.

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled as a couple

Thank you for taking the time to write a review about your recent visit to at Novotel Birmingham Centre. I’m delighted that you enjoyed your stay and we have noted your comments, which we are addressing. We do not encourage guests to bring their own food into the hotel and this may have been the reason for our restaurant employees apparent lack of attention to you, however I have spoken to the employee concerned and highlghted the importance of positive communication with all guests. Any prospective guests reading this reply will hopefully see from the majority of TA reviews that our customer service is a strong and important aspect of the hospitality we try to provide every guest. Kind regards, Richard Marsh, General Manager