“Good location - good hotel”

Novotel Birmingham Centre
Ranked #41 of 118 Hotels in Birmingham
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed 28 November 2011

Stayed 1 night on business Nov 2011. Good hotel, friendly helpful staff, and good location (plenty of bars restaurants nearby). TIP - car park entrance is down ramp next to hotel entrance at front of hotel; map implies it is at rear of hotel.

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled on business
NovotelBirminghamGM, General Manager at Novotel Birmingham Centre, responded to this reviewResponded 1 December 2011

Thank you for your kind comments and compliments. I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay at Novotel Birmingham Centre and look forward to welcoming you back again soon. Kind regards, Richard Marsh, General Manager.

There are newer reviews for Novotel Birmingham Centre

Reviewed 28 November 2011

Stayed the Saturday here for a performance at the National Indoor Arena (NIA). Got a weekend deal on the main Novotel website. Location wise it's very close to the NIA, ICC, Brindleyplace Canalside, Birmingham Museum and Art Gallery. Lots of eateries and drinkeries around so no chance of malnutrition. The German market is also very close (open in Nov and Dec) - it's enormous but worth a trip. As for the hotel itself:

Good: underground secure car park, great staff, very modern public areas, secure lift / stairs accessible by guests and staff only, very generous quality breakfast (didn't get to use the bar), good rooms (temperature, bathroom, bed all fine)

The not so good: being a city centre hotel, there is a charge for the parking. Shame it wasn't either free or discounted to patrons. That said, £12 isn't bad for a day's parking in the middle of one of England's largest cities. Very small quibble on the loo being separate from the rest of the bathroom in our room - one could call this quaint or old fashioned. It was Saturday and there was a some noise from the busy area - not really the hotel's fault as there seems to be substantial sound proofing installed already - if you're a light sleeper bring some ear plugs (I'm a heavy sleeper so didn't bother me once my eyelids were shut). Also, if you can't live without Wi Fi, it's not free.

Would I return / recommend this establishment? Absolutely, particularly if you've managed to secure a deal or on business.

Room Tip: Ask for a quiet room towards the back of the hotel.
  • Stayed: November 2011, travelled with family

Thank you for posting your thoughts on here, we really value your feedback, as I am sure other potential guests reading this, will too. We will always try to accommodate guests needs, particularly in respect of room position, however the recent improvements to our windows has made quite a difference. We look forward to welcoming you back at Novotel Birmingham Centre very soon. Kind regards, Richard Marsh, General Manager.

Reviewed 25 November 2011

The room was paid for by work, so I can't comment on the price of this mid-week business trip which included evening meal, overnight stay, breakfast, lunch and all day meeting.
The hotel is easy to find on Broad Street, although I was a bit confused at the entrance; yes you do take the small road in front of the hotel to gain access to the car park. Signage might help.
The bar and restaurant were pleasant, tastefully decorated and nicely laid out. We started late for dinner (8.30pm) which may explain why staff were keen to clear one of our party's plates before she had finished her pate starter.
I had the rocket salad with shiitake mushrooms which was a good choice. For main, I went for the risotto which was disappointingly bland, and I regretted not going for the hake which looked much more appetising. Dessert made up for it though, a delicious pinapple ring cooked in black pepper, served with cinammon ice cream. I guess I've led a sheltered life, but not tried this before and I would love to try making it myself now.
The room was clean, light and well laid out with plenty of storage and a good sized double bed. There was some noise from the revellers on Broad Street, but closing the substantial curtains muffled them enough so that they didn't stop me from sleeping.
Breakfast the next day was as you would expect from a quality restaurant with a full English, cereal, fresh fruit etc.
The meeting rooms were well presented with all the equipment we required. Breaks were well serviced with tea, coffee, juice, water and small snacks.
Lunch seemed to come too quickly, so I opted for salad, although colleagues found the hot choices offered enough variety.
Car parking cost £13 for 24 hours which was okay for inner City parking.
All in all (aside from the risotto), I would recommend this as a good location in central England for business events.

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled on business

Delighted to hear that you enjoyed your stay at Novotel Birmingham Centre. It is great to see our conference delegates taking the time to post a review. Be assured that I will review the flavouring of the risotto with our chef. We look forward to your next visit. Kind regards, Richard Marsh, General Manager.

Reviewed 25 November 2011

WOW! we stayed here after a horrible night at travelodge. The check-in man was really friendly and happy which really reasured us about the hotel. The apprence of the hotel is good on the outside however on the inside it gets much better! It was the most amazing hotel i have stayed in! I had my own room which was really nice. I had a brilliant nights sleep, the bed was amazingly great!

The bath room and the hotel room was clean "you could eat your dinner off the floor" the room included a mini-bar which included pringles, mars bars, compementry cold milk and alcohol. I did not use the mini-bar but some customers might. The room had a coffee machine in it!. It was a moden and stylish room and i would recomend it to everyone.

brilliant! i had never been inside this hotel before i only go past it on my way to work, but it is great!

WELL RECOMENDED!

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled with family

My team and I very much appreciate your kind words, and we’re glad to have been a part of your visit. Our aim is to ensure that every guest departs feeling the way that you do! We look forward to welcoming you back to the Novotel Birmingham Centre.

Reviewed 24 November 2011

We stayed in this hotel as it was very near the Symphony Hall where we saw John Barrowman (a great night!). We arrived a little early but there was no problem in finding out that a room was ready. The reception area looked very clean and the receptionist was quite charming. Our bedroom was lovely, clean and the furnishings were lovely. We had a full complement of bath and shower products and because we had booked an executive room, we had complementary water in the small fridge. The restaurant manager and bar staff were also extremely pleasant. We ate in the 'Elements' restaurant and although we needed to leave the hotel by 6.45pm, again, there was no problem with our wanting to eat early. The food was wonderful, freshly cooked and served with a smile! I had the Sea Bass - some of the best I've tasted! Breakfast was very nice too - the usual types of food and plenty of it! The only problem we had was with noisy residents - a lot of conference delegates (judging by the state of them there would be no work done the next day!!) However this is just par for the course - I would certainly stay there again and definitely recommend it!

Room Tip: We booked an executive room with breakfast and would do so again. The standard of rooms is excelle...
  • Stayed: November 2011, travelled as a couple

Many thanks for the review. We always welcome feedback and my team and I are glad that you enjoyed your stay with us at the Novotel Birmingham Centre. I hope we can be part of your future travel plans.

Reviewed 24 November 2011

Still a great hotel . Family room is large enough for three. Some items not working as they should - air con, badly designed bathroom doors, very high level of street noise (even after double glazing?). Breakfast is self service , so plenty to eat and choose from - the best in the hotel business for its value. Some standards slipping in the restraunt with service - which is a shame.
All concerns and issues expertly dealt with by the reception staff next day - they are really world class. Everything written down, explanations given were possible and I left believing that they wanted to make sure these things were sorted asap. They turned a bad experience of sorts into something which makes me feel I want to give them a second chance.

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled with family

I’m delighted you enjoyed your stay. Please rest assured that I have taken note of your comments and the issues you have mentioned have ben reported and will be addressed. I hope we can welcome you back to the Novotel Birmingham Centre very soon.

A TripAdvisor Member
Luton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 November 2011

Very good stay. .The rooms was very clean and well organised apart from the toilet room. The toilet room did not have it's own wash hand basin. You had to come out of the toilet room and go to the bath/shower room to use the wash hand basin. The only other thing I found, was that the bed was very hard when laying on it. Other than those two comments, the stay was very good. The breakfast had a very wide range of items, and the hot food was excellent. I found the staff very polite and very helpful. and I would be happy to stay there again.

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled as a couple

Thanks for leaving your thoughts here. The team and I are glad that you enjoyed your stay, and we’ve taken note of your comments. Please be assured that we will address them where we can. Kind regards, Richard Marsh, General Manager