“Fantastic staff, nice breakfast, slightly disappointed by the room”

Novotel Birmingham Centre
Ranked #54 of 119 Hotels in Birmingham
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed 1 September 2012

Overall, the staff were fantastic they go out of their way to be polite and helpful 24 hours a day. The first impression of the room was good with a modern looking bathroom and a clean, tidy room however I then became a little disappointed. The carpets had stains near the end of the bed; the bathroom was very modern but the toilet was not of the same standard; the net curtains were ripped; the headboard over the bed was damaged and the bed was not at all comfortable. It was rather hard and the pillows were like bricks. I tried two different ones and they were equally bad. And this was an executive room! The added little luxuries that made it an executive room were lacking too. The robes were not soft and luxurious, they were rather hard and rough so were not used. The Nespresso machine was alright but they only gave us 1 regular coffee and 2 decaf's which was disappointing.

I had been expecting a really comfortable bed to enjoy a baby-free night however I got less sleep than I do at home with the baby and didn't even try to go back to sleep as there was no point. I had to get off that pillow as it made my neck ache.

Breakfast was reasonable and there were lots of things to choose from however, the cooked items didn't look too appetising so I didn't bother with them and had a variety of other things such as yoghurts, cereal, pastries, juice.

All in all, the staff made it a nice night away but I'm sad to say that I would never sleep in one of their beds again!

Room Tip: At the back it is only a little quieter and at the end of the day - you're on Broad Street! Win...
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled with friends
NovotelBirminghamGM, General Manager at Novotel Birmingham Centre, responded to this reviewResponded 5 September 2012

Many thanks for your comments about the team. We appreciate all feedback and are glad you enjoyed elements of your stay. I’ll look into the points you raised personally and hope that we can change your mind about returning to the Novotel Birmingham Centre.
Kind regards, Richard Marsh, General Manager

Write a ReviewReviews (1,533)

Reviewed 30 August 2012

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank JoeGS
NovotelBirminghamGM, General Manager at Novotel Birmingham Centre, responded to this reviewResponded 31 August 2012

Reviewed 30 August 2012

My daughter and I have stayed at the Novotel in Birmingham for a couple of days for the past four years. We've done a couple of "Clothes Shows" at the NEC and seen Matthew Bourne's ballets "Portrait of Dorian Gray", "Sleeping Beauty" and "Nutcracker". Birmingham is amazing, lots of great shops, museums, art galleries, eating places. We never get bored.

The Novotel on Broad Street is a really good place to stay as it is near lots of restaurants and bars and within easy walk of all the shops.

The staff are very friendly and we have seen the same people year on year - which means they must enjoy working there. Nothing is too much trouble and we always ask for the luggage to be stored when we check out to pick up later in the day when we go home.

The first year we stayed was in a standard room, which was lovely and clean but quite noisy as it was on the first floor above a bus stop so we could hear the "air brakes" on the buses all night and quite a bit of noise from people on Broad Street.

We opted for a superior room the following year which was located to the side of the building overlooking Natwest. It was so much quieter - you should expect some noise at night as there are lots of bars and clubs.

The last two years we booked an executive room and you get a coffee machine, dressing gowns and slippers. Again, the rooms overlook Natwest to the side of the hotel.

Each year the rooms have been very clean and comfortable - the shower is really powerful and hot! Te breakfast is worth booking as it is really good. If you don't want to go down for breakfast you can complete a card and hang it on your door for room service the next day. Breakfast is excellent served on a huge tray with lovely white plates and plenty of tea/coffee. I think they must have had some new staff in the restaurant this year as the tables weren't cleared of plates etc that we had used during breakfast - this would be my only criticism. The reception and bar/restaurant have been revamped since our last visit - very groovy with a 1960's feel!

You have to swipe your door card to get to the rooms from reception, so this makes you feel quite safe.

There is a cash machine next to the hotel and a Sainsbury's Express. You are right next to Brindley Place, NIA and Seaworld not very far away. We had a trip on the canal, a few drinks at the pub on the other side of the bridge on the canal opposite The Brasshouse. It's also worth booking to see the National Trust Back to Back Houses next to the Hippodrome Theatre. We had an hour and a half guided tour and it was amazing - what a fantastic piece of social history that has been preserved.

Room Tip: Ask for a quiet room.
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank deschrisandem

Thanks for leaving your thoughts here. The team and I are glad that you have enjoyed your stays over years and we’ve taken note of your comment on the plates. Also pleasing to hear that you like the recent refurbishment. It has been popular with all of our regular guests! Kind regards, Richard Marsh, General Manager

Reviewed 28 August 2012

Read this for a truthful review!!! Stayed at this hotel for a weekend, great hotel, great location but a bit pricey!! Breakfast brilliant with a very good range of food including fresh fruit and the chef would cook omelettes etc if requested. Hotel very clean and spacious, rooms have iron, minibar, safe and tea making facilities etc. Found the bed was very hard, toilet in room was separate and very small and claustrophobic and the heating did not seem to work very well but these were minor problems and enjoyed my stay! Staff were friendly and helpful. Did not think much to the Fitness room it was very small with a few machines. Great location right on Broad Street with every pub and club and fast food place right on the doorstep. I parked at the Fiveways car park just round the corner (2 min walk) which cost me £6.20 for 24 hours where as the hotel was around £14.95 i think per night. All in all a very good hotel.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Paul B

Thank you for taking the time to write a review about your recent visit to at Novotel Birmingham Centre. I’m delighted that you enjoyed your stay and we have noted your comments, which we will address where practical. I hope we can forward to welcoming you back in the near future, whereupon we would welcome you bringing any matters to our attention. Kind regards, Richard Marsh, General Manager

Reviewed 27 August 2012

we booked this weekend away back in june to stay for our anniversary. we booked and paid for the room on the internet in june. One week before going in august, we received an email from the hotel telling us that our payment verifacation (sercurity) had not gone through correctly and we had to take ID AND THE CARD WHICH WE HAD MAKE THE BOOKING WITH! After ringing the hotel, the reception manager said it was company terms and conditions. we have stayed at many accor hotels this year and NEVER have had to do this! i phoned my bank and they said the payment had gone through correctly back in june and we should only have to show our passport as ID and not to have to put our card and pin number pin number in the card reader! I emailed accor headoffice to ask WHY if there was a problem with the payment ( because of fraud) why was the payment taken out back in june! Also WHY did it take the hotel so long to email us if they had a problem with the payment? I work in retail and know how the sercurity systems work and i also know that if there was a problem with the verifacation the payment should not have left my bank account!! Very poor customer service! this made our weekend away very stressful even before we reached the hotel!!!

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled with family
NovotelBirminghamGM, General Manager at Novotel Birmingham Centre, responded to this reviewResponded 28 August 2012

Many thanks for your feedback and I’m sorry that you were disappointed in current (but necessary) security procedures, for card payments. It is unfortunate that having suffered from fraud, we have had to introduce some procedures which will inevitably cause genuine, honest guests some initial concern! Please be assured that the request to bring the card used for the original transaction, was not to make make further charges, but merely to confirm the orignality of the card. I will attempt to make contact with you to further clarify the matter. In the meantime, I hope that you enjoyed your stay and consequently your weekend?

Reviewed 27 August 2012

i use this hotel when i stay in Birmingham. I like that it has parking under the hotel albeit at a charge.
Location good for Symphony Hall, NIA, Sea Life Centre and Brindley Place (lots of restaurants). Not bad for centre and CineWorld just up road.
Rooms are well appointed. Staff are friendly and helpful
Only disadvantage is lack of lift from car park direct to room which my disable partner found hard. There is a lift but via rear of reception and then main lift up to room.

Excellent value on recent stay but even good at full price.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple

Thanks for leaving your thoughts here. The team and I are glad that you enjoyed your stay, and we’ve taken note of your comments. I am afraid it is not possible to have a freely available lift from our car park. We do however offer a separate lift (as you have mentioned), which can carry guest who require assistance, from the car park to the higher floors. Guests who require that service, only need call reception from the phone provided in the car park. Alternatively guests may wish to disembark their vehicle at the entrance of the hotel. I do hope we can look forward to welcoming back to Novotel Birmingham Centre? Kind regards, Richard Marsh, General Manager

Reviewed 26 August 2012

I have visited both with friends and solo.

Good
The staff are all very friendly.
Great facilities in each room.
Very spacious bedrooms and bathrooms.
Excellent value for money.
Fantastic location (though a little noisy).
Good security measures.
Very modern and comfortable.
Clean and hygienic.

Bad
Expensive parking.
Expensive wifi.
Gym facilities not brilliant nor advertised particularly well.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled with friends

I’m delighted you enjoyed your stay. Please rest assured that I have taken note of your comments and the issues you have mentioned. I hope we can welcome you back to the Novotel Birmingham Centre very soon.