“Standard Novotel Experience with Responsive Staff”

Novotel Birmingham Centre
Ranked #41 of 118 Hotels in Birmingham
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed 23 December 2012

This is the second time in recent months that I've stayed a Novotel. Overall, I find their rooms to be functional and comfortable, though not necessarily attractive. That said, as someone who travels with a number of electronic devices, the high number of accessible power sockets was much appreciated.

There seem to a lot of rooms with connecting doors here. Although, in the first room I was allocated, the connecting door was in a small lobby before the main bedroom area, I could still clearly hear the loud music/TV sound from the adjoining room.

The strength of this Novotel is the can-do attitude of its staff. The hot water in my bathroom wasn't very warm - and not noticed by me until late in the evening. But rather than reciting all the excuses in the book - as I've experienced elsewhere - once the duty manager had tested the temperature for himself, he quickly arranged for me to move to a new room on the same floor. The water there was much hotter and acceptable, though I still suspect the hot water here is provided at less than what is considered the norm for a maximum temperature.

Breakfast as OK and your standard fare, though - as I also recalled from my stay at another Novotel, the quality of the sausages was poor. For the second time, I found bits of bone in the meat, which is never a pleasant experience. If all UK Novotels use the same supplier, then I suggest this is raised with them.

If you need to be in the Brindley Place area of the city, then this hotel is on the quieter edge of this. But if you need to be in the heart of the old city centre - as I did - this is probably just about as far as you would want to be away. It's about a 10/15 minute walk to the edge of the central area, then another 10 minutes to reach the shopping/entertainment district.

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled solo
NovotelBirminghamGM, General Manager at Novotel Birmingham Centre, responded to this reviewResponded 7 January 2013

Thank you for taking the time to write a review about your recent visit to at Novotel Birmingham Centre. I’m delighted that you enjoyed elements of your stay and was especially happy to read your comments about the team! I have noted your constructive comments, which we are addressing. I am grateful to you for raising them and you can be assured that I am personally reviewing quality of our breakfast sausages and the generic level of our hot water temperature. I hope we can look forward to welcoming you back to Novotel BCC very soon, where upon I will only too happy to discuss your stay with you personally.

There are newer reviews for Novotel Birmingham Centre

Reviewed 16 December 2012 via mobile

Good quality and comfortable hotel which is close to NIA so great to walk to after a concert. Lots of restaurants nearby, plus Tesco nearby for late night sandwiches! Good soundproofing as Broad Street can be noisy at night - lots of bars and clubs. Good breakfast

NovotelBirminghamGM, General Manager at Novotel Birmingham Centre, responded to this reviewResponded 17 December 2012

Thank you very much for taking the time to post your thoughts on here, especially the point you have made about our soundproofing. I’m glad you enjoyed your visit, and I hope we can welcome you back to Novotel Birmingham Centre very soon.

Reviewed 16 December 2012

we stayed overnight, for a gig at the lg arena, very well located with the free shuttle sky train straight to the nec/lg. very clean well furnished, we had a family room that was well priced, & suited or needs perfectly. would use again.

Room Tip: shop around for prices, we used late rooms. but the hotel will try to match.
  • Stayed: November 2012, travelled with family

Although I believe this is a comment adressed to our Hotel at the airport, we very much appreciate your positive feedback and I will ensure that the team at Novotel BHX receive your comments! Kind regards, Richard Marsh, General Manager, Novotel Birmingham City Centre.

Reviewed 15 December 2012

I've stayed here on business a few times over the last couple of years. It's centrally situated on Broad Street with a well-sized car park underneath. The staff are friendly and the service is good. The food is good and there's a good choice at the buffet breakfast. The rooms I've stayed in have been modern, reasonably sized, and well appointed. The fact I keep going back although my hotel choice in this area is large is a good sign.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled on business

I’m so glad that you had an enjoyable time during your stay at Novotel Birmingham Centre. I hope we can welcome you back to the hotel in the near future.

Reviewed 12 December 2012

We stayed here for two nights and used our Le Club hotel points. When we printed our vouchers they were in Euros but when we went to pay for our stay the rate the gave us for the Euros against Sterling was disgraceful. We ended up having to pay extra which we did not expect because of the bad rate. The hotel rooms are very average and definately not 4 star. My husband stays in Birmingham regularly and mostly stays in the Raddisson and that is where I will be staying in future. Much better value for money!

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled as a couple

Many thanks for letting us know your thoughts, and rest assured we will look into this matter of euro conversion with Le Club points. We should ot penalise our loyal customers in this way!
With kind regards, Richard Marsh, General Manager

Reviewed 11 December 2012

I have stayed for two night in June and the hotel is nice. The room have everything yo need but is old fashion. For me that wasn't a 4* hotel but a nice 3* hotel.

The location is perfect. The fitness center is small but nice. The breakfast was good.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled on business

So glad you had an enjoyable time in Birmingham, whilst staying at the Novotel! We very much appreciate the feedback and we hope to see you again soon.

Reviewed 10 December 2012