“Nice hotel but don't expect a quiet night”

Novotel Birmingham Centre
Ranked #47 of 118 Hotels in Birmingham
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed 10 June 2013

I stopped at the hotel as part of an event on a Saturday night and let with mixed feelings.

The service from the staff was mostly lovely. They were efficient and helpful although the young lady serving our table offered bread rolls to half of the people on it then went onto the next table. She had to be called back twice!

The hotel itself is clean, well-maintained and didn't have the type of floors where you can hear the movements of everyone around which is always a blessing.

The little touches in the room were nice too - the MP3 plug in with instructions and the speaker in the shower for example.. It was also nice having a separate shower and toilet room but you still needed to go into the shower to wash your hands.

The cooked breakfast was very nice and the young lady who brought the tea round was very polite in her request that we "stirred the water before pouring it please".

There were a few negatives though - some to be expected but others avoidable.

The parking is horrendously priced - £14.50 for 24 hours which we needed. My car couldn't get into it due to its height and when I nipped in to ask where else I could park I was directed to the Brindley Place car park at about a pound more i wasn't notified about the open air car park directly over the road which was only £7.50 for 24 hours. Admittedly it was probably not quite as safe as Brindley Place but I would like to be able to make that choice. I would've been extremely miffed if I hadn't seen that before I spent £15 to park!

There is no air conditioning in the room I was in which became a problem as the room got so warm. This may not seem to be a problem at first - simply open a window I hear you say - but once you open the window to let in the coolness you become very aware that you are in the centre of our second city and even at 2am when I finally dozed off i could hear people shouting cars traveling, emergency vehicles etc. I do appreciate it is central Birmingham but the option to keep the windows shut wasn't there with no air conditioning.

The drinks were expensive (in my opinion). I paid the best part of ten pounds for a bottle of Becks and a glass of rose. Again I appreciate it is a city centre venue and you may not find that expensive but when I can get a box of 12 bottles of Becks for the same price it does grate slightly - especially after the hike out of my wallet on parking. We actually went across the road and paid a lot less in a bar over there.

Overall a nice place and the "average" rating I gave isn't quite right but then the "very good" isn't right either..... maybe they should have a good in this rating system.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled solo
NovotelBirminghamGM, General Manager at Novotel Birmingham Centre, responded to this reviewResponded 11 June 2013

Thanks for leaving your thoughts here. The team and I are glad that you enjoyed elements of your stay, and we’ve taken note of your comments. Rest assured we will review them to ensure we are remaining competitive. I hope we can look forward to welcoming you back?
Kind regards, Richard Marsh, General Manager

Write a ReviewReviews (1,501)

Reviewed 10 June 2013

hotel was perfectly placed for exploring the main shopping centre i.e. bullring and markets and the canal network , also the nightlife . the hotel was perfect from the welcome at reception , the bar staff , breakfast waitresses,the people who cleaned the room were very helpful , booking on-line the rates were unbeatable for the standard of accomodation .any info we needed the reception staff gave us from canal trips to train times ( brilliant ! )
looking forward to going again and still telling everybody what a lovely place it is to stay .

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with friends
Review collected in partnership with Accorhotels.com

Delighted to hear that you enjoyed your stay at Novotel Birmingham Centre and making particular reference to the team and the hospitality they provide, is very pleasing! We look forward to your next visit. Kind regards, Richard Marsh, General Manager.

Reviewed 10 June 2013

Great hotel for a city break. It is centrally located on Broad Street and there is no shortage of restaurants and bars! Its also a perfect location if you're going to Symphony Hall. The rooms were very clean, spacious and the facilities were great. The hotel got quite noisy in the evening as there was a function downstairs but it wasn't a major issue. I personally thought the cost of parking was very expensive (£14.50 for 24hours) compared to other cities such as Liverpool and Manchester but there is a cheaper alternative across the road.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple

Thank you for taking the time to write a review. I am pleased that you enjoyed your stay at Novotel Birmingham Centre and look forward to seeing you again in the near future. Kind regards,
Richard Marsh, General Manager.

Reviewed 9 June 2013

Just came back from a weekend in Birmingham and stay at the Novotel Birmingham Centre. Nice spacious room, friendly staff and very good restaurant. The breakfast was very good amazing variety. Very central location. Will come back to this hotel no doubt.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with friends
NovotelBirminghamGM, General Manager at Novotel Birmingham Centre, responded to this reviewResponded 10 June 2013

Thank you very much for your review. I am delighted that you enjoyed your visit to Novotel Birmingham Centre. We look forward to welcoming you back soon.
Kind regards, Richard Marsh, General Manager.

Reviewed 9 June 2013

We came to Birmingham for one night to see a show at the Symphony Hall. We wanted a hotel that was near the venue and at the time of booking the Novotel seemed ideal. Unfortunately, by the time we arrived we felt a little apprehensive as we had only two weeks before had a poor night's sleep in the Novotel at Bristol. Our concerns increased when we realised that the hotel was on a street full of pubs, clubs and evening entertainment hotspots. Even at around 11pm on a Thursday night, with relatively few punters to be seen, Broad Street was alive with noise. It seems an odd place to find so many of the big chain hotels but perhaps the target market is not theatre-goers hoping to get some sleep before 2am.

To be fair, our room faced away from Broad Street. Wherever we stay, we always get the car park view and we were not let down on this occasion. We were therefore protected from much of the noise. Nonetheless, without earplugs, I could hear women, and it was almost exclusively women, screaming in the street. With earplugs, I could hear pretty much nothing. It still proved impossible to get a good night's sleep though. The bed and pillow combination was exactly the same as the one we had suffered in Bristol and it was simply impossible to get comfortable. The bed is very hard with the pillows offering little relief. I have slept in a wide range of hotel beds over the years but I cannot recall feeling so many aches and pains as I have with the Novotel experience. Whoever tested these out before making a massive order must have had very different requirements to mine. For the record, at the time of writing, I am a fit 38 year old with no apparent physical problems.

Indeed, being exercise mad, I could not resist the opportunity to try out the gym. I was disappointed to find that it was almost exclusively given over to cardiovascular machines with a few very light free weights in the corner. The gym at Bristol's Novotel was much better than this.

All this aside, there were some good points. The staff that we met were very pleasant. The reception and dining areas were attractive, nicely furnished and modern. The breakfast was fine. And our room was clean and well laid out.

In summary, this hotel gets an average rating largely because the sleep experience was not good.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple

We at the Novotel Birmingham Centre very much appreciate all your thoughts. I am pleased that you enjoyed elements of your stay, and have noted your comments. If you would let me know which room you stayed in, we will review the bed comfort and the soundproofing, as comments such as yours about the bed are rare and we may need to replace an individual mattress? I hope I can look forward to hearing from you & maybe welcoming you back in the near future? Please email me at richard.marsh@accor.com?

Reviewed 4 June 2013 via mobile

Myself and my best friend stayed here for a girlie weekend. Paid 66 for the room and this included a lovely breakfast. Got a twin room too! Double bed each which was a bonus.
Great location for pubs bars and restaurants, and a short walk to all the shops. NIA nearby and sealife centre. Staff were very helpful and polite.

• Stayed: May 2013
NovotelBirminghamGM, General Manager at Novotel Birmingham Centre, responded to this reviewResponded 5 June 2013

Reviewed 28 May 2013

Stayed here now 5 years in a row and will continue to do so. excellent value for money, very clean and great service. Rooms always cleaned breakfast super and staff very pleasant. the added security at night time gives you a added comfort, the beds are of such quality you dont want to go home. After 5 stays i couldnt honestly say a single bad word about this hotel and will always look forward to visiting again *****

Room Tip: Would recommend breakfast in bed if you really want to treat yourself!!!