“So nice to be taken care of!”

Novotel Birmingham Centre
Ranked #41 of 118 Hotels in Birmingham
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed 22 February 2010

We stayed at the hotel for jut one night but that one night was simply great! From the minute we checked in at the friendly desk we were taken care of! The room was spotless, the bed comfortable and the food delicious. All the staff were kind, curteous and very professional.
All in all an excellent experience! Thank you!

• Stayed: February 2010, travelled as a couple
NovotelBirminghamGM, General Manager at Novotel Birmingham Centre, responded to this reviewResponded 28 July 2010

Can I thank this customer for their positive review. It is always really appreciated by the team, when we receive great comments. We do strive to ensure every guests feels this way on departure and hope that any potential guest reading this review will book ther next stay in Birmingham at the Novotel. Thank you.

There are newer reviews for Novotel Birmingham Centre

Reviewed 15 February 2010

Having stayed at this hotel before I was looking forward to returning for an engagement party on Broad Street. The location is fantastic, the rooms are very comfortable and the breakfast buffet has a wide selection of hot and cold foods.....yet again could not complain about these.

What I am upset about is that a few small items were stolen from my girlfriend's suitcase.....leggings, some foundation and hair clips. OK so these are small items and individually I would think that my girlfriend had simply left them at home but I know she used the foundation and hair clips on our first morning there (we stayed two nights) and placed the foundation back in her make-up bag and clips back in her suitcase. Imagine our surprise to coming back to our room to find these random items were no longer in these places.

We commented to staff who basically insinuated that we were lying.....why would we lie about such small things? They did in the end agree to let us replace the items and they would re-imburse us for them but at no point was an apology forthcoming and throughout we were treated as if we were the dishonest ones. I am still awaiting a reply from the hotel as to the outcome of their "investigations" but I suspect they will tell us that they believe the items removed themselves of their own accord as it couldn't possibly have been anyone to do with the hotel. I am expecting an offer of compensation for the distress my girlfriend went through from the knowledge that someone had gone through all of her things.

I would recommend this hotel on location and comfort but make sure all of your posessions no matter how small are locked up away from prying hands.

• Stayed: February 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank VeronaSeagull
NovotelBirminghamGM, General Manager at Novotel Birmingham Centre, responded to this reviewResponded 18 June 2010

As the hotel General Manager, I contacted this guests on return from annual leave and made a personal apology. Our investigations could not prove that any member of my team had been in their room, however I could not dispute that the items mentioned had been moved/taken. As a gesture of goodwill, the guest was recompensed for their loss and invited back to experience the hotel services.
I hope that any potential guest reading this would have confidence in our security and take an overveiw of all of the positive comments from other guests. For information, we provide safes in every bedroom and a key locking system which identifies all entrance and exit from all bedrooms.
Thank you.

Reviewed 9 February 2010

The public areas are lovely, excellent restaurant, welcoming and helpful staff. However the superior double room we had was definitely not of 4star standard. The carpet was really stained and marked and the furnishings (cushions etc) were of cheap quality. Everything was clean and well-kept however - maybe time for a makeover of the rooms? Would stay again however, the bed was really comfortable!

• Stayed: January 2010, travelled as a couple

Thank you for posting your comments. I am delighted to be able to inform you that we have now upgraded our soft furnishings in our bedrooms and started a carpet replacement project this summer.
In addition to this we carrying out further improvements to our public areas, so hopefully our guests wil consider that they are not only great but fantastic.
I encourage any potential guest reading this comment to 'come and try our facilities for yourself', as we are very proud of our hotel and strive to ensure that every guest leaves satisfied. Thank you for reading my response.

Reviewed 7 February 2010

Chose this for a one night stay for an event at the ICC, which is a 5 minute walk along Broad Street. The Hyatt has a direct walkway but costs more than twice as much. The room was clean, the staff were helpful, but the bed was uncomfortably firm, the breakfast was cold and the carpets in the corridor (5th floor) looked as if they needed cleaning. 24 hour parking for £13 was very welcome and useful for a 1 day event after checkout.. For a 4 star, no frills, but perfectly OK.

• Stayed: January 2010, travelled solo

We will take on board the comments this guest has made and thank them for taking the time to post their thoughts.
At Novotel we strive to be as competitive as we can in an extemely competitive market place, whilst providing our guests a 4 star service. On this occasion we obviously didn't quite get everything right, however you can be assured that the issues mentioned have been addressed in no uncertain terms with my team. Our Service Extraordinaire and NeXT (training) Programs are designed specifically with service and operations in mind. All employees are now absorbing the cultures of these programs, which will ensure that every member of the team knows the value of their duties and can knowingly put them into practice in their day to day lives.
I hope we will see this guest back in the hotel in the future, whereupon they can see the true Novotel customer experience.

Reviewed 31 January 2010

Just one night in the Novotel but it was a good choice. Quiet, comfortable and convenient to walk into the centre or around Edgbaston. Friendly staff. Get a room on the 6th floor for views. The room was very comfortable with a huge bed and crisp cotton sheets. Separate toilet and bathroom. Breakfast was excellent except for the coffee which was awful. Decided on tea after one sip of the thin coffee. Just don't pay the walk in prices of £150+. We booked on laterooms the day before for £69 B&B. If you want the spa/gym room beware - it's closed for refurbishment at the moment.

Reviewed 31 January 2010

I went to this hotel in late November 2009. There was 6 of us in total all lads after a day at the races in Newbury. We are regular visitors to Birmingham and chose this hotel because of its great location right on Broad Street. Check in was fine went up to my room and it seemed a standard twin room – however one bed was unfortunately a put up bed, but not to worry we got it relatively cheap. Moment later a phone call from my dad who was rooming with my uncle “come and see this” so we walked across to their room to find my uncle distressed. The room had a foul stench and on closer inspection the bed had faeces (turd) of the human variety in a long shape (like a galaxy ripple) on the cover. It turns out my uncle had actually sat down and accidentally put his fingers in it. Of course I found this hilarious but in all seriousness DO NOT stay here. The manager gave them a room upgrade which was great for my dad but my uncle could not get the retched smell from under his nails. I have stayed in many hotels in many countries but this has to be the worst that I have ever encountered. The breakfast was nice though and the bathroom has a speaker in it so you can hear the telly whilst on the loo and the bar was nice – but overall I don’t believe it is worth risking being left with the unfortunate nickname of [--] fingers.

• Stayed: November 2009, travelled with friends
2  Thank ShaunfLiverpool
NovotelBirminghamGM, General Manager at Novotel Birmingham Centre, responded to this reviewResponded 11 February 2010

The hotel can accept no responsibility for the actions of this 'Stag Party'. We refute that we left the room with excrement on the bed and assume that this was a stag joke gone wrong! Once brought to our attention we room moved the guest and cleaned up their mess! We would normally charge for such cleaning, however this guest was obviously trying to 'get away' with blaming the previous guess and our lack of attention. Interesting that the guest is complimentary of all our other services and as you see from other comments, the Novotel is a hotel of a good standard.
I thank the guest for making the comments, but think that sites like this should be used constructively and not for their personal amusement.

Reviewed 21 January 2010

This was an impromtu stop with my boyfriend, as a surprise! The room was lovely and clean and the bed was very comfortable, i thought the room was going to be very noisy as it was looking out over broad street, but it was not! i had a perfec nights sleep.
breakfast which was included in the deal was fantastic the staff at breakfast were outstandingly helpful! also on check out the lady on the desk was very helpful too offering to leave our bag in the lugage room till we returned to leave!
overall if you need somewhere to stay for the night which is not silly money and is clean and pleasant then this is the place to go!!

1  Thank josh123Uk
NovotelBirminghamGM, General Manager at Novotel Birmingham Centre, responded to this reviewResponded 15 April 2013

I’m very grateful that you could take time to leave us your thoughts and write a review. I’m so pleased you enjoyed your stay with us, and we hope to see you again in the very near future.