“An ideal base for the city”

Britannia Hotel Birmingham
Ranked #109 of 117 Hotels in Birmingham
Rugby, Warwickshire
“An ideal base for the city”
Reviewed 20 March 2011

I booked three rooms for myself and my friends to stay after a night out at the Highlight Club on Broad Street.

Check in is at 2pm but we arrived at 12.30 and were able to leave our cases with the receptionist so we could do a spot of shopping. When we returned just after 2, we were fairly quickly checked in, sadly we were all on different floors, but this gave us a good chance to see what all the different rooms were like.

Our first room was a triple room on the second floor overlooking New Street. It was a fairly basic room although all rooms have a trouser press, hairdryer and tea and coffee making facilities. The bathroom was adequately cleaned and the only gripe would be that the toilet seat was smaller than the toilet bowl!

The next room was allocated on the 8th floor and as soon as you got out of the lift you could smell the smoke. As you got into the room the smell was vile. We asked reception to change the room which was done with no problem to the 5th floor which was a much nicer looking (and smelling) room.

The final room was on the 9th floor where the executive rooms are. The only diference between these rooms and the others is that they have a jaccuzi bath. I'm not sure about all of the rooms on the 9th floor, but this room had no window and although my friends were fine with this, I think I'd prefer to have a window than a jaccuzi.

The beds were a little uncomfortable, but all the bedding was clean and fresh. The towels in the bathroom were clean and fluffy. The other guests were a little noisy during the night and could be heard running along the corridors at about 2am.

Breakfast was a buffet style with cereal, toast and full english selection. The dining area was fairly small for the size of the hotel, but we didn't struggle to get a table and it was all very nicely displayed.

I'm not sure if this is an ongoing offer, but they also offered discounted parking at the Pallasades. Normally it costs £19 to park there for 24 hours, but if you get your ticket validated at reception you only have to pay £8.

I wouldn't hesitate to visit this hotel again, it isn't a luxurious hotel and could do with updating but is ideal for an overnight stay to use as a base for the city. My advice to anyone staying here: If you're not happy with something, tell the staff and in our experience, they will be more than happy to put it right for you.

• Stayed March 2011, travelled with friends
Birmbritannia, General Manager at Britannia Hotel Birmingham, responded to this review, 22 March 2011

Thank you for taking the time to write your review.

The hotel is ideally located in the centre of Birmingham and is perfect for guests whether they are here on business or for leisure purposes.

As you experienced first hand, the staff are more than happy to assist any guests where it is needed.

I am glad that the hotel met with your expectations at this time and we look forward to welcoming you back again in the future.

Regards.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (494)
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
  • Turkish first
Worcester
Reviewed 17 March 2011

I did not know hotels this shabby existed. Our room was cleanish but just completely dated and tired. Here are my observations. Stained carpets. No proper lighting in main part of room. Poor television reception. Noise from adjacent rooms, corridor and street. One set of towels for two. No toilet roll holder. Deadlock on door not working. Only one slow lift. Supplement charged for paying by debit or credit card. The only good thing I can say was the bedding was clean. I avoided the restaurant so cannot comment.

I would not stay at this hotel again and will boycott the Britannia chain. I suppose a lot depends on the price you pay. We paid £50 room only. A Holiday Inn Express or Premier Inn are probably better value.

• Stayed March 2011, travelled as a couple
Birmbritannia, General Manager at Britannia Hotel Birmingham, responded to this review, 20 March 2011

Thank you for taking the time to write your review.

Please accept my apologies that the hotel did not meet your expectations at this time.

Due to the 2000+ guests we accommodate on a weekly basis, unfortunately there are times when things do become tired and require replacing, this is monitored on a regular basis and is an ongoing process within the hotel.

Regards

Travellers are raving about these Birmingham hotels

Cape Town Central, South Africa
Reviewed 15 March 2011

sure - with only two and bit star rating one doesn't expect the Hilton Hotels! However, attention to cleanliness/hygiene and basic comforts are lacking .... tremendously!

We shared three to a room: The room provided was beyond small. I called down to reception to request a change in room as the one provided was just not suitable, however the hotel was fully booked. Disgruntled, but understanding, we agreed to make the most of it. I do need to point out the following:
- the floors were not vacuumed very well. They were dirty
- there was hair in the bathroom, on the tiles, on the drains - we removed these, but this was disgusting. I left one strand on a tile to see if this would be wiped away and it was NEVER removed for the entire 9 nights we stayed in the little room.
- beds were made with clean linen (however mine was inside out). I am glad i took note of exactly which pillow was made up inside out as I kept an eye to see if the linen would ever be changed. Reminder, we stayed 9 nights! not ONCE was the linen changed!
- i called down to ask if my matress could be exchanged for another as it was so slept through one can feel the base of the bed(you sink into the middle). I was offered duvets for additonal padding. I explained that 'softness' was not what was needed. Again, nothing could be done about this.
- additional blankets: this is a room for three, There was one blanket.
- the bathroom has no extractor fan, So yes, if three people need to shower, you really do get a steam rom effect. Hence the mould, hence the musty smell... yup! all there!!
- there is SUCH a shortage of hanging space. There is the tiniest cupboard for your items (we lived out of our bags), there is nowhere to hang your things in the bathroom either -yup, we hung up those suction cup goodies! really cheap, definitely something a two star hotel should consider??)
- service of the room: well, we didn't make our beds the first day as this was something we figured the hotel might just do for us. They did: they just pulled up the blankest and placed the odd pillow. Like children do. So we decided we'd just make our own beds. The servicing team must have been ever so pleased as they never touched our beds again. Suffice to say we always had really well made up beds (as we made them up ourselves)

enough about the room - ... on to breakfast
if you like burnt toast (do NOT ask the chef to make you proper toast, he'll look at you like you're from another planet), rubber eggs, cold crusoints.... and really odd fruit then THIS place is for YOU!
odd staff, rushed, indifferent to their patrons - reminder, it is just a 2.5 star! why make guests want to eat breakfast, right?

and then there was the lift: yup, only one worked. There are 9 floors in this hotel. the lift is archaic as it is. And there is only the one working. Fun times. We just ended up using the stairs. Not a train smash - free gym really!

I can honestly say I won't be staying there ever again. There are other hotels quite close - so if the location is what you are after, I guess you can try something else.

Pity - the Hotel could be really awesome! it has such quirks! it's old and beautiful but is SO poorly kept and poorly run. Sad really. All the rooms need is a bit of a spruce, some attention to detail; extractor fans and sound proofing (yup, we heard our neighbours and they must have heard us! I was even greeted through the bathroom the wall! - was funny at the time, I will say that much!)

That pretty much sums it up. Guess you'll need to go see for yourselves.

1 Thank Team_RSA

Thank you for taking the time to write your review.

Please accept my most sincere apologies that you encountered problems whilst staying with us recently.

Once a guest had departed, all of the bed linen is changed ready for new arrivals and for any guests staying over for more than 1 night, the linen is changed regularly throughout their stay.
Again, if you were unhappy with this, the staff should have been made aware at the time to ensure that any issues were rectified.

With regards to breakfast, the buffet is replenished regularly throughout the morning to ensure fresh items are available for all guests.

We have been experiencing some issues with one of our two lifts, which has seen it been placed out of service recently, however this should soon be rectified.

Coventry, United Kingdom
Reviewed 14 March 2011

This hotel could not be better located for the very centre of Birmingham - the Bull Ring shopping centre is about 3 minutes' walk away - and yet it was also very inexpensive for me to stay for a night (£39 for a single room including breakfast). Obviously at that price it's not up to 5-star standards, but the bed was comfortable, and everything in the en-suite bathroom was perfectly functional.

If I'd paid the full £5.50 for breakfast I would have been a little disappointed (though I went down to breakfast just before 10am when breakfast service finished at 10.30am, so things were winding down a little).

Although the ongoing issue with on of the lifts being broken was frustrating (as mentioned in MANY reviews before mine) I can't help but think how many guests would have to stay at £40 a night to make enough money to get the lift fixed!!

• Stayed March 2011, travelled solo
Birmbritannia, General Manager at Britannia Hotel Birmingham, responded to this review, 1 April 2011
Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to write your review, I am so pleased that you took the opourtunity to experience the great value for money that the Hotel offers first hand and left with such positive views.

We have had an ongoing issue with one of our lifts, and this has now been rectified.

We look forward to welcoming you back in the future.

Clacton-on-Sea, United Kingdom
Reviewed 11 March 2011

Only one lift working STILL! Damp/mould growing on walls. Wallpaper peeling. Rotten window sills. Dripping taps. Dirty carpets. DUST on walls. Rusted/dirty taps with hair hanging from outlet. Stained furniture caused by damp. Mouldy shower curtain. Filthy lights. Room turns into sauna when bath/shower on as extractor doesnt work. Staff friendly. Food O.K. Bedding was CLEAN!!! I also have photos to prove if you need it!! For £29.00 not quite the bargain we expected. You advertise this room for £140.00!! Please dont advise me that if we complained we would have been moved. Surely NO room in your hotel should have this many faults? Perhaps its just the norm??

• Stayed March 2011, travelled with family

Thank you for taking the time to write your review.

Please accept my apologies that you were not happy with the accommodation we provided to you. I will certainly be discussing the issues you raised with The Housekeeper to establish why a room was in this condition to start with.

As with any problems you face, if the staff are made aware at the time, the issues can be rectified there and then and if need be a room move offered.

Please accept my apologies once again.

Wales, United Kingdom
Reviewed 7 March 2011

You only ever seem to get bad reviews on a site like this but to add some balance I though the Britannia was fantastic value for money. I stay in about 3 hotels a month with work paying anything up to a couple of hundred pounds a night and while the Britannia is hardly the Ritz it easily compares to most places I find myself in and paying a hell of a lot more for. The Britannia is comfortable, clean, in a great location and the staff were helpful and friendly. If I need to spend a night in Birmingham city centre again it’s the first place I will try.

1 Thank Dirne72
Birmbritannia, General Manager at Britannia Hotel Birmingham, responded to this review, 8 March 2011

Thank you for taking the time to write your review.

I am pleased to read that you had an enjoyable stay with us.

We look forward to welcoming you back in the future.

herefordshire
Reviewed 2 March 2011

What a dump! My room was dirty, the bathroom had obviously not been cleaned from the previous inmate. There was shaving foam on the shower controls and in the bath. The wall tiles were filthy. Dirty soap dish area on sink. Toilet flush hanging off!

Bed - sheet was not big enough and only reached edge on one side, pillow case inside out - second use?? Crumbs on floor by window. Batteries dead in remote.

I was not given vouchers for the dinner and breakfast I stupidly booked. I was told both times I was room only. The food was dire. At dinner the foil remained firmly on the buffet so you could not see. I chose the curry - chicken floating in curry flavoured water! I was so hungry I ate it. I was dreading breakfast, but as I had to get to an exam I had to risk it. Yet again I was informed I was room only! The cooked breakfast was ok, but the egg was rubbery. Coffee was dire

I asked for a quiet room as I was sitting an exam today, my room was off a lobby with 3 fire doors - two of which had to open - which happily slammed away until midnight and again at 2.30 am! The bedhead was against the wall into this lobby. There was shouting outside (i assume) till about 11.30pm.

The only positive I can think off was that it was right in the centre by the station.

It was awful and I couldn't wait to get out of there this morning!

• Stayed March 2011, travelled on business
Birmbritannia, General Manager at Britannia Hotel Birmingham, responded to this review, 3 March 2011
Dear Guest

Please accept my apologies for the problems you encountered during your stay with us, and had you made us aware of these at the time we would have happily addressed them, so as to make your stay one you remembered for all the right reasons.

I have spoken to the relevant Managers regarding your comments and improvments will be made where deemed nessesary.