“i wasnt expecting the ritz but the wallpaper coming off the walls wasnt mentioned on the website”

Britannia Hotel Birmingham
Ranked #110 of 118 Hotels in Birmingham
Reviewed 12 January 2012

after booking a double room on line we were looking forward to staying here on new years eve,central,nice pics on website,perfect for us to stay the night,However when i went up to the room and went in the stale,unaired smell suited the very old fashioned furniture and decor,the website pics were more modern,i called reception and explained that my double room which i booked was a twin room and that i hadnt had a row with my partner and that we would like to spend new years eve in the same bed,i was told there was nothing they could do,ok i thought we can just move the beds together,problem solved but still not happy at all about the old stale run down room,after going to open the window to let some fresh air in i notcied the wallpaper haning off the wall around the windows,that was it id seen enough.
I went down to reception and asked to see the manager to which a woman with the look of here we go again on her face explained to me that it was new years eve and there were no more rooms free in the hotel,i asked for the number to her head office and explained that the rooms in the hotel were nothing like the rooms on the hotel website,i told her i wasnt expecting the ritz but a double room with wallpaper on the walls would do me for a night,and as if by magic after several minutes of complaining she waved her wand and out of nowhere she found me a double room,and the wall paper was still on the wall,the room was a bit bigger but still run down and very very dated.WARNING!!!!!!! IF YOU WANT A DECENT HOTEL DONT STAY HERE,ITS DATED DECOR AND FURNITURE MATCH THE OLD FASHIONED TVS,THE FOOD WAS TERRIBLE I ENDED UP EATING TOAST BECAUSE IT WAS THE ONLY THING I HAD MADE MYSELF,AND THE RECEPTION STAFF WERE JUST IN THE JOB FOR THE PAY,CUSTOMER SERVICE WAS ZERO ON RECEPTION
OVERALL THIS PLACE IS A DOWN AND OUT DIVE

Room Tip: dont bother
  • Stayed: December 2011, travelled as a couple
3  Thank brent m
Birmbritannia, General Manager at Britannia Hotel Birmingham, responded to this reviewResponded 13 January 2012

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to write your review.

I am sorry that you felt the hotel did not meet your expectations at this time.

Your reservation was made via a 3rd party company on your behalf and was booked as a twin room which is what was originally allocated to you, due to this error in booking and the hotel amending your reservation (as a goodwill gesture) this then meant that someone who had booked the correct room type, could not be given what they had booked.

We catered for over 300+ guests for each meal over the New Year period and received zero complaints; in fact we received several positive comments.

We have no facilities for guests to prepare their own toast, so I am at a loss as to how you were able to do this. The toast along with the other breakfast items are cooked fresh each day and replenished by the staff only.

With regards to the staff, I honestly cannot agree with your comments.

There are newer reviews for Britannia Hotel Birmingham

Reviewed 11 January 2012

Few of us in the past five years, have had our Christmas break spent in Nottingham, this time I decided to travel ahead of them and spend three days in Birmingham, having visited Birmingham few times before, this was my first ever stay, while at Birmingham I took the advantage to visit Coventry and Wolverhampton. to do this a city centre hotel was essential, having stayed with Brittania at several other places, the Grand Hotel, in New street was perfect. the first glance is not attractive, and neither is the entrance, but you do get used to it.

I arrived 1 hour early, this was no problem, my room was ready, the booking in went
through very smoothly. I decided to go for a standard double room, I was given room 428 on the 4th floor. to find your room on the 1st attempt can be a problem, the corridors are like a rabbits warren, but once its found its allright, after entering the room I discover another once Trust House Forte Hotel, I recognise the furniture,, First glance the room was pretty dark, hardly no daylight coming through,this is like many other city centre hotels, found the room very clean, warm, bed comfortable, storage space was good, bathroom had all that one needed, with plenty of very hot water, space to place my laptop was a problem especially with plugs, after moving things around, in the end everything was fine, the only drawback was the ancient television, but it did work.
This was an excellent value for money, I only payed £55 per night, that included full breakfast, a buffet dinner and bottle of wine at Jenny''s restaurant, Buffet breakfast was good, it could have been better, if whoever was in charge had a little more pride in the layout, to make it look more attractive, this is a large city centre hotel not a main road transport cafe, the same could be said of the dinner, I had 2 Christmas dinners, that tasted wonderful, the choice was good, as a Buffet dinner you help yourself, again the layout was like a factory canteen. one could see that it had not been prepared by a cheff. 2 person did moan that it was a lousy dinner, when I explained that it was a budget hotel, and that the previous hotel that I had stayed at York, had cost me £185 per room per night. it put an end to the moaning.
I recommend the The Brittania Grand Hotel to anyone, as long as they understand, you get what you pay for. finally! the staff was very pleasant.
I will not stay here again, because I wont stay in Birmingham again, the place is nothing like Nottingham and Newcastle. My only complaint I have with Brittannia, will they please stop sending me anymore rubbish emails offers, because sometimes I get 5 a day, I never read them.

Room Tip: You get what you pay for
  • Stayed: December 2011, travelled solo
Birmbritannia, General Manager at Britannia Hotel Birmingham, responded to this reviewResponded 11 February 2012

Thank you for taking the time to write your review.

I am so pleased that you took the opportunity to sample first hand the perfect location and exceptional value for money we at Britannia Hotel Birmingham offer, and were not put off by some of the negative reviews posted here.

We look forward to welcoming you back in the future

Reviewed 11 January 2012

Why be shocked by failings when this price is charged for a city centre hotel however I wouldn't choose to stay here again. Hair in the bath, soiled valance and very dated decor & tv - not to mention the hair in the breakfast egg. No doubt we will be told we should have reported these issues when there - but to be quite frank- I just wanted out. On the up side the sheets on the bed were pristine - just didn't want to walk barefoot on the carpet. The staff appear to do a sterling job in difficult circumstances

Reviewed 10 January 2012

I just checked out from this hotel today after spending two nights there. Good location as it is not more than 5 mins walk from the Birmingham New Street train station. Has few shopping/department stores and eateries including McDonalds around. Relatively old hotel as I can see from the furnitures and walls. Not too comfortable stay as I am one who is quite particular about cleanliness. Not that the hotel is dirty but its old condition gives me an uneasy feeling. Bathroom is clean. One problem here is the room door does not close properly so you have to physically pull or push it harder to close hence it is very noisy and irritating especially when you are sleeping and others are closing their doors. Breakfast was average as they only serves ham, bacon, eggs, potatoes, baked beans, cereals, bread and some fruits. Staff were generally courteous and helpful. My two nights stay in a Single room with breakfast costs £70. Not for fussy people who are looking for a new and very clean stay. Would recommend this if you want to stay close to train station.

1  Thank Yogi_Lim
Reviewed 9 January 2012

The location of the hotel was very convenient, right on the pedestrian strip of New Street, this however also had it's downfall as it was very loud due to the buskers which woke us up early every morning.
The sheets were clean and the bed was made everyday but the sheets were not replaced. We also had clean towels everyday.

- The elevator did not come up to our level which I reminded staff about multiple times who were rude and unapologetic, with one exception of a male staff member. The 'ground floor' button also did not work in one of the elevators. When I informed a staff member of this she fobbed me off and ignored what I was trying to tell her.

- The levels were not marked clearly and we often were confused as to which floor we were on.

- The first day we were there we heard two people having loud intercourse in the room next door. The same person then had what sounded like 4 guests who were very loud, swearing profusely and also were discussing drugs. We called reception and the staff member said they would send someone up to the room, they didn't come to the room and were also quite rude. I ended up calling reception twice, having someone go to the room twice before the people next door finally left. By this time it was after midnight.

- The rooms had no cable tv and were outdated and old. The screen went fuzzy and buzzed at times and also made high pitched sounds when turned on. There was no ceiling light, only lamps by the side of the bed which made the room quite dark. There was not Wifi in the rooms. Apparently there was Wifi in one of the bars yet I was never able to connect to it. The pillows were too hard and too high which caused my neck and head to ache. I resorted to sleeping without pillows.

- Marks on the walls, mirrors and also there were nails sticking out of the floor. There was also wallpaper peeling away from the wall.

- On NYE I went to the restaurant to have dinner and was ignored by the host 3 times. I tried to get his attention a final time and he served the ladies standing behind me, he asked if we were together and they said 'no this young girl was here first, we aren't together,' he then sat the ladies but not me, he also never returned to seat me.

- No dinner was available on NYE unless you had booked a NYE package. Because I was ignored by the host I inquired with reception regarding the dinner and I was rudely told that I should have known I was not eligible for the dinner because there were signs and it was clearly stated on the website. I only saw the sign when I asked about the NYE dinner and I did not book via the website.

- On New Years Day the dinner buffet was expensive for what was served; mostly sandwiches and sausage rolls and party food. The following dinner was not much better. Call me picky but I had ice cream which I did not eat because the freezer was too cold and had created ice on top of the ice cream. Ice cream is not meant to be crunchy. Breakfast was not much better, the bacon was over cooked and the 'fried' eggs strangely had water in the yolks.

- The bathroom was outdated, the shower was old and discoloured, the toilet was old and had marks on the lid. The sink had a large crack and was discoloured. Red nail polish or some sort of red paint was in the bath, in the sink and on the taps that would not wash off. The tap was also leaking.

- The room key stopped working twice and had to be replaced, the second time we only gained access to the room because a maid was walking past and asked if we were having trouble. As it was our last day we did not bother to replace the key again.

- The revolving door to enter the hotel was heavy and hard to push, it was also very awkward with a suitcase.

Our experience was not one of enjoyment, the staff were so rude and seemed untrained for their jobs. We will not be returning.

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled solo
2  Thank Nat P
Birmbritannia, General Manager at Britannia Hotel Birmingham, responded to this reviewResponded 11 January 2012

Thank you for taking the time to write your review.

I am sorry that the Hotel failed to meet your standards at this time.Your comments will be passed to the relevant Department Managers for investigation, and improvements will be implemented where deemed necessary.

Reviewed 9 January 2012

Me and my girlfriend stayed here for two nights over the new year period. We got an excellent deal costing us just £27 per night and £8.50ish for 48 hours parking at the Pallasdes (ticket validated at reception). The hotel as a building has nothing going for it, it is very dated and shabby. However the rooms where clean with free tea, coffee and toiletries provided.

Staff on the whole where pleasant bar the women on the front desk which told me after I had paid with my Visa card that there was a £2 handling fee, when I complained she just point to a small sign behind the desk which was half covered by tinsel at the time and shrugged her shoulders. So keep this in mind, there is a free cash machine just outside the hotel.

The Location of the hotel is a massive bonus for anyone visiting Birmingham it is situated just on the main pedestrianised market street, within walking distance to as many shops, bars and cafes you could ever need. As it is situated in a pedestrianised area you can not actually drive to the hotel which made finding the hotel via a satnav difficult, I would recommend entering the address for the Pallasdes which is just round the corner into your satnav if driving.

On the whole not the best hotel I have ever stayed in, but I would stay here again for £27, however if the price increased I would certainly be looking elsewhere.

Room Tip: Pay cash to avoid £2 card handling fee. Use Pallasdes car park for cheap parking (validated at rece...
  • Stayed: January 2012, travelled as a couple

We look forward to welcoming you back in the future

Reviewed 8 January 2012

Mixed feelings about this hotel. This hotel was booked for me so I did not know what to expect. The hotel is extremely outdated and in need of repairs and refurbishment.

Upon Arrival the hotel receptionist was very professional and polite. She was well organised and check in was swift process.

The room was something else! The toilet was dirty and had stains where it had been wiped with a dirty cloth, I needed to wash it myself as it was unuseable! it was awful! The tap in the bath was running constantly and I could not turn it off, this kept me awake all night.

The carpet was worn, badly stained and frayed. The paintwork was chipped all over and the whole room was badly in need of redecorating.

The bedding was fresh and clean and the bed was comfortable.

When I tried to use the shower in the morning, I could not seperate the shower from the tap. so when I had a shower, a lovely warm shower i needed to stand in calf length freezing cold water from the bath!!!

When I had finished the bath was full of dirt and grit that had come from the pipes. urgh!

Breakfast

There was a young waiter, a mature waitress and the chef in situ. The young waiter was polite and showed us to a table and then promptly left us, we had no offer of tea, coffee or explanation of the breakfast facilities. we waitied for about 10 minutes and we asked the mature waitress for some tea. She did not acknowledge us but asked the young waiter to bring us tea. He then asked us for our requirements.

The waitress was aloof, and this made her appear rude and unfriendly. Certainly not what you expect from customer hospitality.

The breakfast was well overcooked. we watched the chef taking bacon from the trays and even then it was well overcooked before being put on the hotplate. Even though there was plently of food, (guests were not eating it, just looking at it and getting cereals!) he kept piling the overcooked food on!

we asked him for fresh eggs and needed to ask him twice to take the eggs off as they were cooked, someone really needs to show him how to cook eggs and bacon!

Would I stay there again? NO.

My points go to the receptionist, and the clean bed. The only two positives in my stay.

Please Mr Manager, address these issues. You could have a lovely quirky hotel that is good value for money. Having a clean room and getting the food right is an absolute must!

Thank you for taking the time to write your review.

I am sorry that the Hotel failed to meet your standards at this time and wish that you had brought this to our attention during your stay as it would have given us the opportunity to address your concerns first hand, and allowed you to leave the Hotel with a more favourable opinion.

Your comments will be passed to the relevant Departmental Heads for investigation, and improvements will be implemented where deemed necessary.