“Not the best but ok.”

Britannia Hotel Birmingham
Ranked #110 of 118 Hotels in Birmingham
Reviewed 22 March 2012

Stayed at the hotel for 2 nights whilst attending a competition at the NEC. On the plus side it's only 2 minutes from New Street Rail Station, plenty of places to eat nearby and in the centre of the main shopping area. This was once clearly a very high class hotel but now it is sadly quite tired and could do with some money spending on it. As a budget hotel I've stayed in worse BUT have stayed in better. Staff pleasant in the main though some clearly weren't interested. I had a single room which was ok, the bed linen was nice and crisp and clean and the bathroom ok but dated. Carpet in my room though had a few dubious stains on it in several places but off putting really. Breakfast on the whole was standard but good no complaints there. Must mention the young man behind the hotel bar what a pleasant helpful person he was when we needed directions or recommendations, full marks to him. Would I stay here again ?? Yes the plus points outweighed the negative.

• Stayed: March 2012
Birmbritannia, General Manager at Britannia Hotel Birmingham, responded to this reviewResponded 27 March 2012

Thank you for taking the time to write your review.

I am so pleased that you took the opportunity to sample first hand the perfect location, exceptional value for money we at Britannia Hotel Birmingham offer, and were not put off by some of the negative reviews posted here.

Reviewed 19 March 2012

After reading the reviews I was really worried I had booked this hotel but I do not see what people are saying. The hotel could do with a bit of paint but it was clean. Bed linen was white. Towels were white. Beds were comfortable. We were on the 3rd floor and looked out the front. Yes there is a bit of noise from late night revellers and the electronic voice went on for some time Friday night but it really didn't bother us. Where ever you go your first night is always a bit strange because quite frankly it is not your own bed!! The breakfast was lovely. We only stayed for two nights but could quite easily have stayed for a week. My only complaint was that my son and daughter 16 and 20 had to share a double bed but if we had stayed any longer I would have done something about it. We would definitely stay here again if we had to go back to Birmingham for anything.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank IloveFlorida08
Birmbritannia, General Manager at Britannia Hotel Birmingham, responded to this reviewResponded 21 March 2012

Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to write your review and for your positive/uplifting comments which will be shared with the rest of the Staff.

I am so pleased that you took the opportunity to sample first hand the perfect location, exceptional value for money and high level of customer service we at Britannia Hotel Birmingham offer, and were not put off by some of the negative reviews posted here.

Reviewed 19 March 2012

Great hotel, right in the middle of Birmingham so close to all the bars, restaurants and shopping

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank scarface9769

Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to write your review and for your positive comments.

Reviewed 19 March 2012

Booked in here for one night have to say it was most scary and dirtiest hotel i have ever set foot in Thankfully we asked to see the room before we paid to stay decor was form 1950 and looked like it not been cleaned since then also

Was pretty scary entering the hotel with people begging outside and hoodies hanging around in lobby made it look more like drug den then a hotel

When we did complain about room being dated and dirty the offered us a recently renovated room with jacuzzi bath Not sure why we wernt offered this room in first place but still would not of stay as whole hotel was smelly and dirty

Room Tip: No room is good in this place
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled with friends
4  Thank bessbox

Thank you for taking the time to write your review.

I am sorry that the Hotel failed to meet your standards at this time, I do disagree with your comments, though we are all entitled to our opinions.

Reviewed 18 March 2012

A good hotel for visiting the centre of Birmingham.
A quiet room on the fifth floor, excellent.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled with friends

Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to write your review and for your positive comments which will be shared with the rest of the Staff.

Reviewed 12 March 2012

I booked this hotel based on the excellent photos and the couple of testimonials it had on its booking website, the difference I found on arrival was nothing short of a confrontation against the 'trades description act'. The rooms were clean but were from the seventies (1870's) and the electrical goods were dangerous- I am qualified to state this as I am qualified in H&S legislation. I paid for the well advertised buffet, and in reality I received a shock to find that the food was preheated and direct from Iceland's - I had the pleasure of seeing the EXACT same salad two days running! I went to use the Ironing room and found people smoking in the corridors. I would never stay in this hotel again!!! Horrendous.

Room Tip: Do not stay is the best advice!! If you must ask for a room away from the public thoroughfare side.
  • Stayed: January 2012, travelled on business
3  Thank John M
Birmbritannia, General Manager at Britannia Hotel Birmingham, responded to this reviewResponded 13 March 2012

Thank you for taking the time to write your review.

I am sorry that the Hotel failed to meet your standards at this time.

The hotel does have two smoking floors one of these being on the same floor as the ironing room, and I can assure you that all of our electrical items are PAT Tested and in line with all H&S requirements, the most recent test being the 5-9 March 2012.

Had you brought any of your concerns to our attention during your stay, it would have given us the opportunity to address them first hand, and allowed you to leave the Hotel with a more favourable opinion.

Reviewed 12 March 2012

we stayed at the Britannia Hotel in Birmingham in February 2012 as was amuse by the service provide by one of your night staff I cannot remember his name but the is a Aisian young man , bold head and have a goatee beard.

He was everywhere at the same time, his service was preeminent my wife was amaze and wanted to take him home, I never thought or have ever experience this service in any of the Britannia train before , I have stayed at the Britannia a lot as it incorporated with my business and this was a complete new experience for me, i never met this young man before he must be a new member of staff, if I can remember well the night staff normally be two stucked up, unpleasant, impolite men, one older and a younger man, I do hope they replace those two, we need more staff like this hardworking, efficent young man to welcome more guest to your hotels….. I didn’t get to say thanks to you for making our stay more enjoyable, but I hope you will be able to receive this message as I wanted to say a big thank you from me and my family hope to see you on our next visit to Birmingham.

Collin and family.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank Collin F

Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to write your review and for your positive comments, which will be passed onto the relevant Staff Member, who will be equally delighted.