“No sleep - dishonest staff promised me it was a quiet room”

Britannia Hotel Birmingham
Ranked #109 of 117 Hotels in Birmingham
Leeds
“No sleep - dishonest staff promised me it was a quiet room”
Reviewed 31 March 2012

Imagine a loud "vehicle reversing" type announcement about automatic bollards which are in the street below. Now imagine that you're going to hear the words "CAUTION, AUTOMATIC BOLLARDS IN OPERATION" throughout the entire night and day. I got no sleep and nearly went mad. Shame I'd already paid for my room. I certainly would not have paid a penny otherwise. I can see that the hotel owner is replying to similar messages by saying "if only you would have said something... we could have dealt with it". Sadly, I was there for work and it would have been even more disruptive to have had to move rooms in the middle of the night. It is not acceptable to lie to customers - when I asked if it was a quiet room, I was assured that it was. Britannia - you should not be asking people to pay in these noisy rooms when you know about the problem. Disgraceful.

Room Tip: Staff are dishonest and sadly you can't trust them to give you a quiet room. I asked if my room...
2 Thank Garforth_Echidna
Birmbritannia, General Manager at Britannia Hotel Birmingham, responded to this review, 1 April 2012

Thank you for taking the time to write your review.

Please accept my apologies for the problem with the automated bollard warning, we have logged this with Birmingham Council numerous times and are awaiting their response, unfortunately The Hotel cannot be held responsible for external noise, and we do not know from day to day if the Council have addressed our complaint, so I disagree with your comments regarding "dishonest staff".

Regards

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (508)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
  • Turkish first
Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed 29 March 2012

I stayed in the hotel for one night the staff very friendly the rooms very clean bed comfy and I will be coming back over to Birmingham again in June and This hotel is first choice. Thanks for making our first trip to Birmingham a great stay.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
Birmbritannia, General Manager at Britannia Hotel Birmingham, responded to this review, 10 April 2012
Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to write your review and for your positive comments which will be shared with the rest of the Staff.

I am so pleased that you took the opportunity to sample first hand the perfect location, exceptional value for money and high level of customer service we at Britannia Hotel Birmingham offer, and were not put off by some of the negative reviews posted here.

Drogheda, Louth, Ireland
Reviewed 24 March 2012

After reading reviews on here about the hotel I was extremely worried about going here but I need not have worried, it was the best value for money I have ever got from a hotel. My boyfriend and I (I'm 20, he's 21) stayed here for a night on the 21st March and have to say it was easily one of the best hotels I have ever stayed in, both in the UK and abroad. We are currently planning on visiting this hotel again in June we loved it that much.

We arrived on an early morning flight and went to the hotel to leave my suitcase in the luggage room. The location is amazing, literally a minute from New Street Station and the Bullring, which was all we really needed. We walked into the reception and we both thought it was lovely and had real character to it, really it looked exactly like it did on the professional pictures, its not a modern hotel so if thats your preference of decor then really you shouldnt of even booked this hotel. There was a nice lady at the reception at this time and she said there might be a chance that we could check in early to just come back in a while and she would know. Went back about 1 and got to check in then and a lovely man, quite tall (sorry I never looked at name badges) checked me in quickly and went and got my luggage out of the room for me.

When we got to the room it was clean and tidy, messingly my boyfriend even wiped the top of the tv with his finger and there wasnt a bit of dust on it. The bathroom was clean and more than adequate for what you need it for. The bed was extremely comfortable, I normally dont sleep well at hotels but I slept like a baby and didnt wake up once that night.

I cannot praise the staff highly enough, I met four members of them (the lady in reception, the tall man in reception and then a shorter man also in reception and a young barman) and all of them were extremely helpful and guinely could not do enough for us. We even went downstairs just after the bar was closed so we went to reception to ask where the nearest bar was and the shorter man at reception told us where the nearest one was but said it would be no hassle to get some from the bar in the hotel, so thats what we did. He came up while we were having our drink in the bar and even though the bar had been shut and the barman was gone he said if we wanted any more drinks not to hesitate going to reception and asking him.

All in all I give this hotel 10 out 10 and cannot praise it enough =)

• Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
Birmbritannia, General Manager at Britannia Hotel Birmingham, responded to this review, 26 April 2012

Stornoway, United Kingdom
Reviewed 24 March 2012

There was a nauseating smell in my room which I could not work out if it was a cleaning product of part of the room, but the biggest problem was the pedestrian street outside which if protected by automatic bollards which rise up with and repeated warning through the day and particularly through then night whenever a vehicle passes. This continued all the way through the night.
The room was clean and for the price paid not bad value, but a very poor nights sleep.

2 Thank StornowayKeith
Birmbritannia, General Manager at Britannia Hotel Birmingham, responded to this review, 27 March 2012

Thank you for taking the time to write your review.

Please accept my most sincere apologies that the hotel failed to meet your expectations at this time, and for the problem with the automated bollard warning, we have logged this with Birmingham Council numerous times and are awaiting their response.

Had you made the staff aware that you were unhappy with your accommodation, they would have gladly offered you an alternative room ( should one have been available ) making your stay with us one to be remembered for all the right reasons.

Regards

Travellers are raving about these Birmingham hotels

Southampton
Reviewed 23 March 2012

This is an inexpensive hotel for short business stays. It benefits from a really excellent central location-within five minutes from Birmingham New Street. The staff to be fair are also reasonably polite and courteous and rooms are small but clean and tidy. But there the benefits end.

I had a room facing a central concrete terrace-the noise from the aurrounding bedrooms reverberated around the walls; as did loud TV's from numerous rooms until the early hours of the morning. It felt at times more like an Amsterdam brothel than a hotel-based on the level and type of noise.

After next to no sleep the best you can hope for is a good breakfast-but virtually everything was dripping in fat and only just passable (with a stong stomach).

And if you want internet connection *free and high speed" expect to sit perched in a corridor and not in your bedroom as the reception is patchy at best.

Bottom line-if you have less than £50 you could do worse-but if your budget extends to a little more, go elsewhere. Cannot fathom how anyone could give it five stars........thats way to generous!!

Room Tip: ask for a street facing room-that will guarantee a better night
2 Thank Redbishop
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to write your review.

Please accept my most sincere apologies for the problems you encountered during your stay.

As with any reservations, if you had made the staff aware that you were unhappy with your accommodation, they would have gladly offered you an alternative room making your stay with us one to be remembered for all the right reasons.

North Wales
Reviewed 22 March 2012

Stayed at the hotel for 2 nights whilst attending a competition at the NEC. On the plus side it's only 2 minutes from New Street Rail Station, plenty of places to eat nearby and in the centre of the main shopping area. This was once clearly a very high class hotel but now it is sadly quite tired and could do with some money spending on it. As a budget hotel I've stayed in worse BUT have stayed in better. Staff pleasant in the main though some clearly weren't interested. I had a single room which was ok, the bed linen was nice and crisp and clean and the bathroom ok but dated. Carpet in my room though had a few dubious stains on it in several places but off putting really. Breakfast on the whole was standard but good no complaints there. Must mention the young man behind the hotel bar what a pleasant helpful person he was when we needed directions or recommendations, full marks to him. Would I stay here again ?? Yes the plus points outweighed the negative.

• Stayed March 2012

Thank you for taking the time to write your review.

I am so pleased that you took the opportunity to sample first hand the perfect location, exceptional value for money we at Britannia Hotel Birmingham offer, and were not put off by some of the negative reviews posted here.

Wickford, Essex
Reviewed 19 March 2012

After reading the reviews I was really worried I had booked this hotel but I do not see what people are saying. The hotel could do with a bit of paint but it was clean. Bed linen was white. Towels were white. Beds were comfortable. We were on the 3rd floor and looked out the front. Yes there is a bit of noise from late night revellers and the electronic voice went on for some time Friday night but it really didn't bother us. Where ever you go your first night is always a bit strange because quite frankly it is not your own bed!! The breakfast was lovely. We only stayed for two nights but could quite easily have stayed for a week. My only complaint was that my son and daughter 16 and 20 had to share a double bed but if we had stayed any longer I would have done something about it. We would definitely stay here again if we had to go back to Birmingham for anything.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank IloveFlorida08
Birmbritannia, General Manager at Britannia Hotel Birmingham, responded to this review, 21 March 2012
Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to write your review and for your positive/uplifting comments which will be shared with the rest of the Staff.