“There are rats/mice in here!!! The worst hotel I have been to except for one in France when I was 15”

Britannia Hotel Birmingham
Ranked #109 of 117 Hotels in Birmingham
Birmingham, United Kingdom

Dear Sir/Madame

I am currently staying at your hotel in Birmingham and I must express my dissatisfaction with it and even trumps the adelphis poor current standards.
I stayed in room 812 where the beds are disastrously uncomfortable, the shower curtains are dirty. I was not informed of the restaurant closing times and upon enquiry when it had closed I was thrown a handful of takeaway leaflets to sort out some dinner after a long day.
The wifi password did not work in my room even though I could identify the network with all 3 of my devices. The business centre was under resourced with 2 power sockets available which were occupied by other guests for about 6 hours.
I ordered a coffee at the bar which never materialised and afterwards the man stated that he thought I had left, perhaps if he opened his eyes he would have seen me!
To compound all of this there were mice on the first floor in the lounge area near the bar and when I reported this to the seemingly oblivious polish night manager he said that he would report it.

I think that the service from this hotel was appalling and will leave due feedback to the website through which I ordered the room and will also inform the health standards agency regarding the vermin mice on the first floor near the bar.

I would be grateful if you could pass my comments to the branch so that it may improve in the future.

Suffice to say I will not be staying at your hotels in the future.

Kind regards

Sincerely

Room Tip: Avoid this hotel there are mice/rats
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled solo
1 Thank Muhammed S
Birmbritannia, General Manager at Britannia Hotel Birmingham, responded to this review, 8 May 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to write your review.

I am most disappointed to read your review and after speaking with the staff who worked over the time of your stay, I have been advised of the following:

When you approached the front desk on Sunday evening, you asked if we had any menu's available and a selection of menu's were handed to you, certainly NOT thrown.

We do not have WIFI available in our bedrooms, only the public areas, where guests have been using the connection and password all weekend without any issues.

There are several plug sockets available within the lounge area and if you had asked at Reception, they would have been able to offer you an extension lead.

Your claims of pest activity had been noted and a full inspection has been carried out within this area and no activity has been found.

Regards

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (499)
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
  • Turkish first
London
Reviewed 6 May 2012

Hotel was in the city centre so good for shopping centres etc. But at first look the property is very old and needs a refurb. We were given the top most room which I think was their best and I appreciate the staff who were attentive. slept well and left the next day. Would recommend to someone looking for a place to sleep but not to indulge. I guess you get what you pay for. We did get breakfast which was good too. All in all if you are coming via train to sight see in birmingham, I would think this would be a great hotel but if you are driving I suggest look elsewhere as I did not see any parking with this hotel.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to write your review.

I am pleased to see that the hotel met with your expectations for the purpose of your trip.

As you experienced for yourself, the hotel is perfectly located in The City Centre and is an ideal base for all guests whether they are here for business or leisure purposes.

Walton-On-Thames, United Kingdom
Reviewed 6 May 2012

Wanting to stay in the same hotel as friends I was put off by the previous reviews. I was obviously one of the lucky ones. My double room was vast, clean and well equipped. Great air-con, the room was like a fridge. Very near to New St railway station all the pubs we visited were within a 5 minute walk. Breakfast was plentiful and the service excellent. On reflection the room could have done with an update but I paid £31 for a double en-suite including breakfast. Great value.

Room Tip: I requested a 'quiet' room and my top (9th) floor room was great.
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled with friends
Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to write your review and for your comments which will be shared with the rest of the Staff.

I am so pleased that you took the opportunity to sample first hand the perfect location, exceptional value for money we at Britannia Hotel Birmingham offer, and were not put off by some of the negative reviews posted here.

We look forward to welcoming you back in the future
Reviewed 4 May 2012 via mobile

Stayed last night and was quite pleased on arrival. Lovely building and decoration in the reception area. Staff are very helpful and deserve a mention. They were polite and friendly with a good knowledge of the city. That's really the only good points about the hotel. The room was basic and the bathroom was dirty. So dirty in fact I waited until I got home to have a shower. It's a shame to write such a poor review when all that's needed is a bit of modernisation ( our tv looked like it was one of Logie Baird's prototypes!) and a thorough clean. Glad we got it on a late deal so didn't pay full price.

• Stayed May 2012
Market Drayton
Reviewed 30 April 2012 via mobile

You get what you pay for..... Basic but clean, staff very friendly. Stayed on a works night out. Great location for city centre. Room very comfortable and slept really well. I had requested a quiet room and on checking in the receptionist selected an appropriate room. Could do with a complete refurb.

Stayed April 2012
1 Thank Skiathosrunningclub
Birmbritannia, General Manager at Britannia Hotel Birmingham, responded to this review, 1 May 2012
Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to write your review and for your favourable comments, though they do not reflect your poor rating.

Regards

Travellers are raving about these Birmingham hotels

Southampton, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 29 April 2012

Directions to the hotel are terrible. There is no parking. You have to park in the NCP down the road. The rooms are tired and not kept up to a clean or decent standard. The bathrooms in the two rooms we stayed in had taps with the chrome coming off, a broken toilet seat and a broken toilet role holder. The first room was a tripple which we had booked. When we got there we were given a smoking room - none of us smoke and it was extrememely smelly and the carpet was stained and threadbare in places. The second room (as we had asked to move) was non-smoking but was a family room - shared between three women - and the carpet stank of musty damp. Reception is pokey and although the website shows a lovely gallery stair case and a decent looking bar we did not feel we wanted to investigate any further than the bad initial impression of the entrance from the alleyway! I would definately not stay there again. Especially for over £100 per night!

Room Tip: I wouldn't know, I didn't see one!
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled on business
Dear Guest

I am sorry that the Hotel failed to meet your standards at this time.

Your comments will be passed to the relevant Departmental Heads for investigation, and improvements will be implemented where deemed necessary.

Loughborough, UK
Reviewed 29 April 2012

Reading other reviews it sounds like I stayed at a different hotel! The hotel is right in the city centre, and a great price for such a central location. My room was clean and comfortable and I didn't think it particularly dated. However, the reception area was somewhat old-fashioned and it was a bit strange having to pay in advance, and pay extra for debit cards. I would definitely recommend this hotel though.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled solo