“The hotel from Hell”

Ranked #110 of 118 Hotels in Birmingham
bristol
“The hotel from Hell”
Reviewed 17 May 2012

We paid £134 each for three windowless rooms (apparently a free upgrade!). I thought windowless rooms were illegal. We had just travelled from the exceptionally well-appointed and very friendly Hope Street Hotel where we had paid £99 each for a very comfortable room. The Britannia in Birmingham is obviously run to make as much money as possible from helpless customers. Getting there is extremely difficult (it is in the middle of a pedestrianised area) though the hotel staff were good enough to come looking for us when our SatNav got us hopelessly lost because of major roadworks around the city centre. The hotel is shabby, in dire need of renovation, the carpets dirty. There is a bad smell in the lift (food?) as well as in the rooms (stale potatoes). My room had a tiny table - hardly a desk, with the chair missing. The light in the entrance to the room wasn't working. The bed was comfortable enough and the sheets clean, though the cushion on the bed was badly stained (heaven knows what kind of stain) as was the carpet. The TV was a circa 1970 model, looked as if it had been picked up in a second hand shop, 4:3 ratio curved screen. One of the long-life milk containers had obviously passed it's safe life expectancy and it was separated and foul smelling.

Breakfast for a b & b deal costing £134 was disgusting: the toast burnt and soggy (the cheapest kind of bread), eggs barely fried in an inch of fat (you could see it being done), bacon that was impossible to chew it was so tough, mushrooms from a tin. Only the generic baked beans were reliable. Jam and marmalade were of the cheapest kind. All the fruit was tinned and the tinned peaches had a suspicious un-appetising colour.

The staff were generally friendly: this is the only positive thing that could be said about a hotel which is a total rip-off and a shameful example of totally mercenary hotel trade.We had a really bad experience staying there.

Room Tip: Avoid the windowless rooms on the ninth floor even if you're seduced by the idea of an upgrade.
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled on business
Birmbritannia, General Manager at Britannia Hotel Birmingham, responded to this review, 22 May 2012

Thank you for taking the time to write your review.

I am sorry that the Hotel failed to meet your standards at this time and wish that you had brought this to our attention during your stay as it would have given us the opportunity to address your concerns first hand, and allowed you to leave the Hotel with a more favourable opinion.

I am so pleased that we were able to send a member of Staff to help assist you in locating the Hotel.

Your comments will be passed to the relevant Departmental Heads for investigation, and improvements will be implemented where deemed necessary.

Regards

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (487)
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
  • Turkish first
Nuneaton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 12 May 2012 via mobile

Paid £32 a night so didn't expect much, however hotel had basic amenities lacking, i.e. adequate artificial lighting, working bathroom lights, double glazing (room noisy all night long). Also rude hotel manager came knocking on doors asking guests to check out at 10.30 even though check out time is 11am. Would not recommend or return.

Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
Birmbritannia, General Manager at Britannia Hotel Birmingham, responded to this review, 15 May 2012

Regards

Travellers are raving about these Birmingham hotels

Lancaster
Reviewed 10 May 2012

Stayed here and paid £31 for bed and a decent breakfast. Okay it is a little tired, but my room was fine, clean and comfortable. The staff pleasant and professional. The breakfast was as good as any I have seen at much more expensive places.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled solo
1 Thank mbvbLancaster
Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to write your review and for your comments which will be shared with the rest of the Staff.

I am so pleased that you took the opportunity to sample first hand the perfect location, and exceptional value for money we at Britannia Hotel Birmingham offer, and were not put off by some of the negative reviews posted here.

We look forward to welcoming you back in the future

Cardiff, United Kingdom
Reviewed 10 May 2012

TV did not work.
Room absolutely stank of cigarette smoke.
Heating was not working.
Cigarette ash on the floor and in the bedside drawer.
Blood stain on the duvet.
Very noisy due to drunk people coming in throughout the night/early morning.
Room generally dirty.
Graffiti was carved into the 70's wallpaper....including a 3 foot penis next to the bed!
Absolutely disgusting hotel - there is no need for anyone to ever stay there. Please avoid it!

Room Tip: Please avoid this hotel. There are plenty of very nice and very reasonably priced hotels in the city...
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank b d

Thank you for taking the time to write your review.

You do not mention your name or room number so I cannot say which room you stayed in, however, The Head Housekeeper and I have checked every bedroom this morning and can find no graffiti in any of our rooms.

West Sussex, United Kingdom
Reviewed 8 May 2012

We paid a grand sum of £45 for 2, which included bed/breakfast/eve meal and a bottle of wine, so it was a bargain. the hotel itself is in need of some work as its rather shabby looking, but rooms are clean. Food was somewhat limited compared to other Britannia hotels we have used, especially the puddings which consisted of cheesecake or fruit. breakfast was good though. the happy hour in the bar until 7pm was great, selcted drinks at £1.75, although later drinks were rather pricey. Hotel is in great location for shopping in Brum.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple

We look forward to welcoming you back in the future

Reviewed 7 May 2012 via mobile

Recently stayed at the Britannia hotel with my partner we found that the rooms were a decent size and facilities were good. The hotel is very dated but of good location to all shops and local amenities, the only thing that really let our stay down was that the bed was so uncomfortable we both had really bad back ache and didn't have a very good nights sleep, we stayed for two nights and by the end of it we couldn't wait to get in our own bed! I wouldn't stay here again just because of the uncomfortable bed. Overall we have a decent stay and was of good value for money

• Stayed May 2012
Birmbritannia, General Manager at Britannia Hotel Birmingham, responded to this review, 8 May 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to write your review.

I am pleased to see that overall you had a good stay with us and that you found the hotel to be value for money.

If you had made the staff aware of the problem you had with the beds, they would have been able to move you to an alternative room to enable you to have a more comfortable stay with us.

Birmingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 6 May 2012

Dear Sir/Madame

I am currently staying at your hotel in Birmingham and I must express my dissatisfaction with it and even trumps the adelphis poor current standards.
I stayed in room 812 where the beds are disastrously uncomfortable, the shower curtains are dirty. I was not informed of the restaurant closing times and upon enquiry when it had closed I was thrown a handful of takeaway leaflets to sort out some dinner after a long day.
The wifi password did not work in my room even though I could identify the network with all 3 of my devices. The business centre was under resourced with 2 power sockets available which were occupied by other guests for about 6 hours.
I ordered a coffee at the bar which never materialised and afterwards the man stated that he thought I had left, perhaps if he opened his eyes he would have seen me!
To compound all of this there were mice on the first floor in the lounge area near the bar and when I reported this to the seemingly oblivious polish night manager he said that he would report it.

I think that the service from this hotel was appalling and will leave due feedback to the website through which I ordered the room and will also inform the health standards agency regarding the vermin mice on the first floor near the bar.

I would be grateful if you could pass my comments to the branch so that it may improve in the future.

Suffice to say I will not be staying at your hotels in the future.

Kind regards

Sincerely

Room Tip: Avoid this hotel there are mice/rats
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled solo
1 Thank Muhammed S
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to write your review.

I am most disappointed to read your review and after speaking with the staff who worked over the time of your stay, I have been advised of the following:

When you approached the front desk on Sunday evening, you asked if we had any menu's available and a selection of menu's were handed to you, certainly NOT thrown.

We do not have WIFI available in our bedrooms, only the public areas, where guests have been using the connection and password all weekend without any issues.

There are several plug sockets available within the lounge area and if you had asked at Reception, they would have been able to offer you an extension lead.

Your claims of pest activity had been noted and a full inspection has been carried out within this area and no activity has been found.