“What can I say, thats nice?”

Britannia Hotel Birmingham
Ranked #109 of 117 Hotels in Birmingham
Stockholm, Stockholms Län, Sweden
“What can I say, thats nice?”
Reviewed 28 May 2012

Apalling hotel. Extra small rooms and if you ask for twin beds you must be able to climb over one of the beds to gain entry to the dirty toilet.

That is if you at first make it past the reception area where the receptionist will challenge both your printed e-mail confirmation for a room and the one you show her on a computer. Finally we gained entry to a room with a balcony. A balcony where the floor was covered in 1cm of pigeon poo. And some other guests garbage. The chicken fence that covered the front of the building to keep pigeons out was not doing its job very well. And didnt help the view much either.

Location, good.

If this was a cheap hotel that didnt make any excuses about its status I would happily stay there. But when it isnt cheap, and they try to sell it of as some sort of luxury stay and you´re treated like you should be happy to even get to stay there, thats when I take offence.

The painter in the corridor was nice enough though.

Please, for your sake and your travelling companions. Look further. Pay more and get more somewhere completly else.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank Daniel J
Birmbritannia, General Manager at Britannia Hotel Birmingham, responded to this review, 30 May 2012
Dear Guest

I am sorry that the Hotel failed to meet your standards at this time and wish that you had brought this to our attention during your stay as it would have given us the opportunity to address your concerns first hand, and allowed you to leave the Hotel with a more favourable outlook.

Your comments will be passed to the relevant Departmental Heads for investigation, and improvements will be implemented where deemed necessary.

Regards

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (508)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
  • Turkish first
Chester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 May 2012

Abandon hope all ye who enter here. Dante had the reader descend into Hell. I took the lift and stayed in room 804.

Although the hotel was booked for me as a business trip, I looked forward to staying at this hotel since Britannia is a reputable and well respected hotel brand whose portfolio includes several city centre properties. In practice, it was a huge disappointment and the hotel has several major issues which it ought to address immediately.

1. Smoking on the 8th floor and fire safety concerns

Although finding the hotel was difficult, check-in was quick and I was soon in the lift to the eighth floor. Regrettably, the stench of old cigarette smoke hit me when the lift door opened ... on the eighth floor of a hotel in the UK. My first thought was for the smoking ban which was flagrantly being ignored. My second thought considered safety in the event of fire, and since the hotel is unlikely to have a sprinkler system, I was and remain concerned about how guests staying on the uppermost floors would cope with an emergency evacuation due to fire.

2. The room

Progressing through a set of narrow doors (which were noisy at night when slammed shut), room 804 proved to be a standard square with en suite bathroom. Three single beds represented an upgrade from the single room ordered but the room was hot and airless – it had been a warm, sunny day – and 804 has no air conditioning though other rooms do. I went to open the window in search of fresh air but found none since the room faced onto a central vertical shaft surrounded by hotel rooms including mine. In truth the room was actually quite gloomy.

Sadly, it was not gloomy enough to hide the fact that the old wooden wardrobe doors did not close, the toilet seat was canted to one side clinging on by one of its supposed two brackets, there were stains on the frayed carpet, the bedding would have been declined by a charity shop and the furniture probably arrived as reject stock from Steptoe and Son or Del Boy. It was all very disappointing.

3. Passive smoking

Leaving the room in search of an evening meal, I saw a sign on the eighth floor hallway designating this as a "smoking floor". A more accurate description would be that smoking was actually obligatory for guests staying on that floor since the smell permeated everything, and I certainly participated in my share of passive smoking whilst waiting for the lift. This is reprehensible. On the basis that the hotel staff works in this hotel, I cannot comprehend how the hotel cannot be subject to the national smoking ban since that covers places of work. Tip to hotel management: train your staff to ask guests if they smoke before putting them into a room on a smoking floor, or better still, prohibit smoking in the hotel and bring in experts (Kim and Aggie perhaps) to throw away the furniture and give the rooms and public areas a deep clean.

4. Insect bites

I cannot comment on the catering as I chose not to eat in the hotel. Equally, I did not stop on departure to speak with the Duty Manager as I wanted to escape before something bit me; this proved prophetic as one of my work colleagues was bitten on the foot by an unknown and unseen assailant.

5. Reputable hotel chain must do better

The www.britanniahotels.com website describes this hotel as “Traditional in style” and “Maintaining much of its original architecture”. Translated, this means old, decrepit and best avoided. I also particularly liked the description of the rooms as being “refreshingly decorated” which is hilarious and a very distant second cousin to the truth.

6 Recommendations:

My advice to the Britannia Hotels chain is to close this hotel for defumigation and renovation. My advice to prospective customers is to choose a different hotel.

Room Tip: I am not convinced that there is a good room in this hotel. Stay somewhere else until it is cleaned...
2 Thank GeorgieChester
Birmbritannia, General Manager at Britannia Hotel Birmingham, responded to this review, 17 August 2012

Regards

Travellers are raving about these Birmingham hotels

Reviewed 27 May 2012

Worst hotel I've ever stayed in!!! Honestly I wouldnt even wish my worst enemy to stay there. It took me about an hour to find this hotel, no car parks near and the car park they offer you isn't even in service anymore so that was more time that I wasted!! I was shown 3 rooms and all 3 were disgusting, I wouldn't even let my dog stay in one of them. In the first room the lights didn't even work! Sadly I couldn't be refunded my money so I had to spend two awful nights on a mattress which had no padding in it what so ever so I had springs in my back both nights. So many weird creepy pictures along the halls and it is awfully decorated, this hotel is not like most other britannia hotels. There was a brown stain on my bed sheet and the soap bar I was left with was from the previous guest and yes it had been used! The tv is rubbish! My nan has a better tv! Rubbish choice of channels and radio! There was mould on my net curtain, rubbish lighting in the room. The dressing table mirror is too high up so you can't even see in it! Sadly like I said I couldn't be refunded otherwise I would of told the manager to shove it where the sun don't shine as it was two nights of hell!! Avoid it!

• Stayed May 2012

Portsmouth, United Kingdom
Reviewed 25 May 2012

I was pretty pleased with this hotel, given the price. The rooms are fairly basic and quite dark (next time I'll ask for a room which doesn't overlook the courtyard as my room got almost no daylight), and the whole hotel is a bit tatty, old-fashioned and in need of refurbishment, but everywhere is scrupulously clean, the staff are friendly and helpful, the breakfast buffet, while not fantastic quality, is extensive and tasty, and the central location is unbeatable. I wouldn't recommend the Britannia if you like luxury accommodation but, if you just want somewhere central and reasonably priced to sleep, it's a good bet.

1 Thank Cat P
Birmbritannia, General Manager at Britannia Hotel Birmingham, responded to this review, 26 May 2012
Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to write your review.

I am so pleased that you took the opportunity to sample first hand the perfect location, and exceptional value for money we at Britannia Hotel Birmingham offer, and were not put off by some of the negative reviews posted here.

We look forward to welcoming you back in the future

Naples, Italy
Reviewed 25 May 2012

I have been very impressed by the way the front office manager shouted to a customer who were just asking for a half an hour late check out. The customer claimed that he asked for a superior room, he paid for a superior room, but he had only a standard room. Nevertheless the front office manager have been very rude with the gentleman.
One thing is very special in the bathrooms. The taps have two ducts: one for the cold and one for the hot water. You have just to put your hands right in the middle to have a normal temperature water...otherwise the right hand would have been cold and the left one hot!!!!
The rooms are so old style...not so clean, but....if you go out of the hotel you are in very center of the town!!!! Enjoy it only for a good good price!!!

2 Thank mricco
Dear Guest

I am sorry that the Hotel failed to meet your standards at this time and wish that you had brought this to our attention during your stay as it would have given us the opportunity to address your concerns first hand, and allowed you to leave the Hotel with a more favourable opinion.

Just to clarify, the Gentleman you are writing about was give a superior room, but he declined this as he wanted a smoking room, the difference in price was refunded.

As a goodwill gesture, (at no fault of the Hotel ) he was offered a late checkout till 2pm free of charge ( checkout is 11am ), which he felt wasn't acceptable as he didn't want to leave till 4pm and didn't to pay for this.

London
Reviewed 24 May 2012

I stayed at this hotel for one night, but wouldn't really have liked to stay any longer. The room I had was a double for single occupancy and a good size, but it looked out on to a very dark courtyard with a brick wall and some more windows opposite. I could not see the sky, although i was on the 6th floor! The lighting was not adequate either and the room was papered in a very dark slime green. Not the best decor. The carpet was dirty and stained The room was boiling and I could not get the radiator off. However, the bed was reasonably comfortable, and the bathroom adequate. Certainly couldn't fault the position if you want to be in the centre of the Bullring, and you get what you pay for I guess, which was £45 with no breakfast. Not that cheap really.

The staff were very friendly and helpful. I did not eat in the hotel.

Room Tip: Best to ask for rooms that face outwards to the shopping mall, rather than the ones that face into t...
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled solo
Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to write your review.

I am sorry that certain asspects of the Hotel failed to meet your standards at this time, these will be passed to the relevant Department Heads for investigation, and improvements will be implemented where deemed necessary.

We do hope however that you decide to book again in the future.

Tamworth, United Kingdom
Reviewed 22 May 2012

Booked last minute as going to Black Sabbath concert at the O2 Birmingham. Central location and booked on the £50 dinner, breakfast, bed and free wine offer online. They kindly let us eat in the bar early and the free wine was good! Staff are very friendly and helpful, the hotel needs a refurb and bringing into the 21st century but it was a place to crash after a night out and did the job for us. This is cheap and cheerful - our room was quite small and looked out onto a inner 'courtyard' but we were not expecting the ritz and it was value for money.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Dawn-Macky
Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to write your review and for your comments which will be shared with the rest of the Staff.

We look forward to welcoming you back in the future