“surperb value”

Britannia Hotel Birmingham
Ranked #110 of 118 Hotels in Birmingham
Reviewed 22 June 2012

we only visited this hotel for our lunch we had a truley lovelly lunch all for £5 it was a very nice restaurent on the 3rd floor of the hotel their was a jug of water on your table many places we have visted you have to pay for water the was home made tomoto soup with roll followed by a choice of main meals i went for the beefcaserole with veg plus a choice of 4 desertsi must say we have payed a lot more money for a meal and got a lot less the service was just right it does get busy as this offer is only between the hours of 12 noon to 2-00 monday to friday but its a must if you are in birmingham

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple
Management response:Responded 29 June 2012

Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to write your review.

Our business lunches are extremely popular and I am so pleased that you took the opportunity to sample first hand the exceptional value for money we at Britannia Hotel Birmingham offer.

We look forward to welcoming you back in the future

Reviewed 13 June 2012

I really can't say anymore.... stopped here a handful of times and each one awful. Lesson learnt!

Also, this hotel is used for prostitution, me and my boyfriend had to hear it from both side of our room....... seedy and horrid!

Avoid like the plague!

Room Tip: Don't go!
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple
Management response:Responded 29 June 2012

Dear Guest

I am sorry that the Hotel failed to meet your standards at this time and wish that you had brought this to our attention during your stay.

I disagree with your latter comment, as I suspect so would the couples either side of you.

Reviewed 12 June 2012

we stayed in this hotel between 9th june and the 11th june 2012 , the room was filthy old and well worn the room number was 210 , there was dust on all light fittings the bath was dirty and looked like it was painted , the net curtains and windows were so filthy and they smelt really bad and there is constant noise fromthe main new st all night so there was no inner double glazeing , when we departed on the 11th of june at 09.25 am there was a young lady who was 18 weeks pregnant and complained about bed bugs in her bed and asked for a refund for the next 2 following night and this was given with no questions asked by the reception staff , if this is a 3 star hotel then im so shocked how its been passed and will never ever stay here again and i think who gave it a 3 star should have there title takeing away from them , i will also be complaing to expedia .com for putting me in to this hell hole so all you people be warned if u want dirty and tacky then stay here or give it a wide birth.
r w wilson

Stayed: June 2012, travelled with family
3  Thank roy w
Birmbritannia, General Manager at Britannia Hotel Birmingham, responded to this reviewResponded 13 June 2012

Dear Guest,

I am sorry that the hotel failed to meet with your expectations, I will certainly pass your comments onto The Housekeeper regarding room 210.

Also regarding the other guest, the reason given for their departure was not the one that you have claimed and I can assure you that we do not have bed bugs.

Reviewed 9 June 2012

This will be very quick as I would really rather forget I ever stayed here.

I was in Birmingham as my sister had a conference to attend there, so with my time in the UK limited it made sense to visit her there. Unfortunately her cheapskate work people had booked this place and I managed to secure a single room myself for approximately 80 quid. This proved to be a terrible deal.

Anyway, let's cut to the chase:

Room was tiny, not exactly dirty but tremendously outdated and lacking any comforts whatsoever. The TV was broken and the window opened onto a filthy ledge that looked like a breeding ground for a significant proportion of the Birmingham rat population.

I survived one night here by drinking a bottle of wine with my dinner at Andersons (decent steak place, a 15 min walk away) and thankfully the jetlag kicked in. Besides I was happy to see my sister, who I hadn't seen in many months. If not for this fact I would have left and gone elsewhere.

The only pros: bathroom had hot water (I wasn't taking this for granted) and the location is very central.

Cons: absolutely everything else.

In summary, this place is ghastly, representing the worst of the British hotel industry and should be avoided at all costs. I noticed many visitors from overseas staying here and I can only think they left the country thinking worse of the UK.

• Stayed: May 2012
1  Thank golfer78
Birmbritannia, General Manager at Britannia Hotel Birmingham, responded to this reviewResponded 12 June 2012

Dear Guest,

I am sorry that the hotel failed to meet with your expectations.

The hotel accommodates 2000+ guests on a weekly basis and I believe that we offer excellent value for money.

Reviewed 8 June 2012

Firstly this hotel was cheap...ridiculously so....but that is still no excuse for the constant outside noise. My room overlooked New Street and the windows were so old the frames had been stuffed with newspaper. They offered no noise insulation as all so every cough, fart and sneeze of the billion people outside hit my tired ears. Reversing trucks at 3am anyone? Jet powered generator on roof opposite? I could have wept. The room was ok. A fair size, massive 70s TV with five channels but just all very grubby and looked like an old smoking room. Very bizarre evening service at the bar. Barman kept disappearing then switched the TV off leaving silence. I asked him to turn it back on and some other bloke who i assumed also worked there started fiddling with it, then asked if i wanted to buy a PS3. Whut? He may have been a guest but just all very odd. So if you are poor and take ear plugs a budget bargain. Not much else to recommend it.

Stayed: June 2012, travelled solo
1  Thank Becky H

Dear Guest,

I am sorry to see that the hotel did not meet with your expectations.

I have passed your comments onto the relevant departmental managers and any improvements will now be made where deemed necessary.

Reviewed 6 June 2012

Stayed here for one night 2nd of June the hotel was easy to find parking 5 mins walk away at Albert Street NCP B4 7LN £9.90 for 24hrs you get ticket stamped by the hotel to receive this better price. Checked in no issues straight to room and even though the decor seems a little dated it is perfectly acceptable. Nice big bathroom with plenty of clean towels. Staye din a twin room which had two seperate bedrooms tv in each , shared bathroom and tea making facilities. Happy hour in bar which was a bonus. Great nights sleep no issues, and the breakfast was very good full english plenty of toast and tea all very good really. Would use again if required to stay in the city centre as you literally walked straight out into the shopping area.

Room Tip: Rooms at the back of the hotel i did hear were quieter as away form the main pedestrain area below
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled with friends

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to write your review.

I am pleased to see that the hotel met with your expectations at this time and we look forward to welcoming you again in the future.

Reviewed 5 June 2012

the entrace to the hotel is down an allyway not as shown in its website the exec rooms are okay the hotel advertised happy hour at the bar from 13 00 till 19 00 hrs trouble is the bar does not open till 17 00hrs the bar will close at midnight not if the staff have a say 22 30 no goodbye or last orders no just went, the hotel seems to operate an open door system anybody can just walk in and wander around the hotel woman do not feel safe as they are followed to the lift area ect, the chef feels he does not need to wear headgear whilst dealing with food overall we are regular users of britannia hotels but this is the only hotel that i would advise visitors to not to bother.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple
Birmbritannia, General Manager at Britannia Hotel Birmingham, responded to this reviewResponded 6 June 2012

Dear Guest

I am sorry that the Hotel failed to meet your standards at this time and wish that you had brought this to our attention during your stay as it would have given us the opportunity to address your concerns first hand, and allowed you to leave the Hotel with a more favourable outlook.

Your comments will be passed to the relevant Departmental Heads for investigation, and improvements will be implemented where deemed necessary.