“Final stay here due to photo id policy”

Britannia Hotel Birmingham
Ranked #110 of 118 Hotels in Birmingham
Reviewed 2 August 2012

I've stayed in this hotel a few times and never had any real complaints - however my last stay will be my last

i arrived and went to check in - the guy in front of me had to come down from his room after checking in as it hadnt been made up even though he had been given the keycard so wasn't a good sign

the computers were running slow and i was asked if i had any photo ID on me - i thought this was a bit odd and said no - she cursed computers a few more times and eventually gave me my key card - at this point i was informed that in order to stay here again in the future i would would require photo ID: a passport or drivers license - i asked why on earth as a uk citizen i would have my pasport on me to check into a UK hotel as i dont have a photo drivers license - i asked why this policy was brought in but she couldnt explain it to me

i've stayed in hotels up and down the country and i have never been asked for photo id - the company credit card i presented was valid and was authorised so there was no problem regarding paying

i looked on the britannia website and couldnt see any reference to this policy in the T & C's

I really don't see why i should have to present any form of photo id to stay in a hotel - i will ask my work not to put me in this hotel again even if it means more expense - work hotels are booked via capita so it's not as if there is no audit trail either - before the experience i was thinking about booking a couple of days in Birmingham in the hotel for a leisure trip but not now

as to the rooms - they are very dated - as many people have said the hotel needs stripping out and modernising - the old CRT tv i had in the room worked but it looks like the aerial is broken as all i got was what looked like 4 channels of static and crackle - checked it was plugged in ok - was only here for one night

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled on business
Birmbritannia, General Manager at Britannia Hotel Birmingham, responded to this reviewResponded 6 August 2012

Dear Guest,

For hotel security purposes, we do ask that guests provide a form of ID when checking into the hotel, driving licence or passport are generally the most common forms of ID that people provide.

Due to a number of high profile events which take place in the area and also with the olympics at present, I am aware that a lot of hotel chains follow the same procedures.

There are newer reviews for Britannia Hotel Birmingham

Reviewed 29 July 2012

This is my third and last stay at a Britannia hotel truly awful ! I am not a fussy person but I expect the place I stay to at least be clean. We found someone elses dirty sock in the room. We did not want our children to sit on the floor it looked so dirty. This hotel is in desperate need of a refurb, ripped stained carpets in corridors and rooms,chipped paintwork everywhere the list could go on. The breakfast was equally terrible they didn't even make fresh toast just left a huge container of it under the hot plate, the cocoa pops were indedible, 5 of our group tried them and they were foul. You could see everything that was put out for breakfast was out of a tin as the empty tins were all left out on view in the kitchen they obivously make the food in bulk and then just leave it there till the end of breakfast. The only positive was the central location. Never again !

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank annetteroe

Dear Guest,

Please accept my apologies that the hotel failed to meet with your expectations.

Reviewed 27 July 2012

Myself and a colleague stayed here for 4 nights, attending a course held in one of its conference rooms. Here are our findings; a mouse was spotted running out of the kitchen, my colleague had a huge piece of egg shell in his egg bap, there were fruit flies all over the wall next to the bar, room floors were dirty and stained, furniture dated, ripped and stained, red spots on skin that could be from bed bugs (although unconfirmed), beds either rock hard or springs broken, towels rock hard, a barman with as much enthusiasm as my sock, general hygiene around the hotel was not up to scratch, and it was sweltering hot in the conference room (no air con or cool air). Myself and my colleague are both food safety professionals, take it from us, if you value your personal health do not stay here. Or if you absolutely have to stay, then at least do not eat. The council need to employ a new EHO, I can't understand how this place is still in business. This hotel has now been blacklisted by our company and our travel organisers.

Lastly, I note the manager has apologised to a comment below for the hotel not being up to the customer's standard. The problem is, this doesn't live up to even the lowest standards, it's a real shame because the location is fantastic.

Room Tip: Don't bother.
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled on business

Dear Guest,

Please accept my apologies that the hotel and facilities failed to meet with your expectations.

I have passed your comments onto the relevant departments and I can assure you that improvements will be made where deemed necessary.

Reviewed 26 July 2012

I stayed here a while ago now. The price was really good for location, think i paid around £30.

The rooms are quite old fashioned but clean. However they are in need of a makeover.

The staff were ok, not overly welcoming, there smiles seemed a bit trained and forced.

It worked for the one night stay i needed!

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled on business

Dear Guest,

I am pleased to see that the hotel met with your requirements and that you were able to take advantage of our fantastic rates and value for money.

Reviewed 23 July 2012

I've been to quite a few Britannia Hotels but this one is the worst yet. The room was quite clean but the view from the window represented a tenement building and I've never seen so much muck on windows before in my life. Sleep quality is nil as the sea gulls squeal all night, doors bang, you can hear every sound bouncing of the tenement block. The whole place needs refurbishment or at least a lick of paint.
Breakfast was very poor, the food looked and tasted like it has stood hours, dried up and tasteless !!!
On a positive note, the location is excellent, right next to the Station, Bullring and High Street, but if you want three star !! go elsewhere !!!

Room Tip: Front street rooms will be better
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank lilacladySunderland

Reviewed 20 July 2012

Well if ever a saying "You get what you pay for " is true then this is!. Ok bed and breakfast rate was cheap but the quality of the food was poor.Proberbly all of the cheapest brands available.The hotel is a bit of a mixture as the outside could do with a spruce up but some of the public areas were ok. Our room was well equiped but very dark as we faced the alley we had the very end room on the fourth floor not very inviting.The strange thing was we booked the special rate of Dinner Wine and breakfast but I think it would have worked out a few pounds cheaper if we had paid for the extras on the day! There are lots and lots of hotels in Birmingham to choose from and I would not keep the Britania on my list for a return visit.A big thumbs up for Birmingham its fab!

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank Phyllis R
Birmbritannia, General Manager at Britannia Hotel Birmingham, responded to this reviewResponded 21 July 2012

Dear Guest

I am sorry that the Hotel failed to meet your standards at this time and wish that you had brought this to our attention during your stay as it would have given us the opportunity to address your concerns first hand, and allowed you to leave the Hotel with a more favourable outlook.

The hotel accommodates and 2000+ guests on a weekly basis and I believe that we offer excellent value for money.

Reviewed 19 July 2012

First of all, this review is based on TWO stays at the Britannia hotel. One was about 2 years ago and one was very recently.
First of all the hotel is located literally minutes from New Street station, so if you need a base for day trips, etc, the location just couldn't be any better. Similarly, if you're into shopping, it's ideally placed very close to many shopping streets and to the Bull Ring shopping centre, so you can easily spend hours shopping, drop your stuff at the hotel and be ready to go out again for more shopping.

Now onto the hotel itself... 2 years ago we had a room without a view onto the main street, which means our windows looked out on other buildings. However it also meant that the room was very quiet at night and we slept very well. The room was clean and reasonably sized and we had no complaints overall.

During our most recent visit, things weren't quite so nice. First off all the hotel took money from my card "by mistake" even though my booking confirmation said that the hotel would charge no deposit and full payment was to be made only when we arrived. To be honest we then only had to pay the remaining balance so it wasn't that bad, but then the man at reception insisted we had booked for room only, even though our reservation clearly said "breakfast included" so we had to carry our reservation printout with us at breakfast everyday so we could have our breakfast. The room this time had a view on the main street and it was INCREDIBLY noisy at night. People shouting, roadworks until midnight (!), and most irritating of all there was a set of those automatic bollards that lower into the road to let cars through... Except everytime a car goes through, it "says" a very loud message over and over... And there are MANY cars passing through, day AND night... We barely slept at all because of the noise. The bathroom wasn't very clean and there was scum in the bath tub. The breakfast wasn't bad, but it wouldn't qualify as a "good" breakfast either, i guess it was just decent.

So... If you're after a cheap, simple, centrally located hotel for a couple of nights and you request an "inside" room, the Britannia is as good a good choice as any. If you want comfort, friendly staff and a good night's sleep and you are unlucky enough to be allocated an "outside" room, just... Forget about it!

• Stayed: July 2012

Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to write your review