“No, thank you”

Ranked #109 of 117 Hotels in Birmingham
Edinburgh
“No, thank you”
Reviewed 16 September 2012

I had booked my 1 one night stay at this hotel way in advance on a real low, pre-paid rate and was very pleased to find such a good price for a 3star property. The location is superb, but my experience was unfortunately far from good. I checked-in after 11pm on a Wednesday evening. My first shock was when I stepped out from the elevator. The corridor looked shabby and dirty giving the feeling of a dorm. My allocated room turned out to be already occupied, however luckily the person was not in at the time, just his/her belongings. So I returned to reception. With the key to a new room and a small apology I headed up again. Well, this corridor did not look better either. My room.... the good point was that the sheets and towels were clean. However the rest needs attention. I straightaway spotted biscuit crumbs and coffee sachet remainings under the dressing table. The remote control was not working. The bedside cabinets drawers were broken. The green chair in the corner had a greyish colour from all the dust. In the bathroom the bathtub was a colour between light grey and light yellow and I do not think that any chemical would have been able to clean the tabs any more. The whole building is in desparate need of a thorough refurbishment, but in the meantime could do with a deep cleaning. On my check-out I was prepared to give a strictly constructive critism (bearing in mind how low rate I have paid), but when I handed in my key the receptionist simply checked my account and wished me farewell. I am not sure how they can keep their star-rating with such standards.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled solo
1 Thank Szilvia B
Birmbritannia, General Manager at Britannia Hotel Birmingham, responded to this review, 19 September 2012
Dear Guest,

Please accept my sincere apologies that the hotel failed to meet with your expectations, I have passed a copy of your comments onto The Housekeeper for her to ensure that improvements are made where deemed necessary.

The hotel reception is manned 24 hours per day and a member of staff would have been available at any time should you have made your dis satisfaction known at the hotel.

Regards

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (491)
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
  • Turkish first
Reviewed 11 September 2012

I on average stay at the Britannia 2/3 a month with work and here are my views.

The hotel is tired, it needs a massive facelift but for the price my company pay I can't really moan about the astetics.

The breakfast is ample but the quality lets it down but as a vegetarian I thankfully don't have to sample the poor looking sausages & bacon.

The noise from the outside road can't be helped as New Street is the main shopping street in Birmingham. Why moan about something out of the hotels control?

The hotel cleanliness is fine. I've never had a problem with my room except for a broken TV on one occasion.

The only thing I would slightly agree on is the rude staff. Not everyone but the front of house staff at reception. Most are fine but the Asian gentlemen & big white gentlemen have been quite rude on occasion but again this has been forgotten soon enough due to the fact that I'd be angry with the world if I had to live in Birmingham full time. Poor guys. Sort this out though.

All in all I have no major problems with this hotel & actually shall be staying here 12/9 with work. I look forward to it.

• Stayed August 2012
Birmbritannia, General Manager at Britannia Hotel Birmingham, responded to this review, 13 September 2012

Thank you for taking the time to write your review.

I am so pleased that you take the opportunity to sample first hand the perfect location, and exceptional value for money we at Britannia Hotel Birmingham offer, and are not put off by some of the negative reviews posted here, rest assured I shall certainly be looking into the comments you have made with regards to the Staff.

We look forward to seeing you soon.

Tunbridge Wells, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 9 September 2012 via mobile

The room was very basic but perfect if you just want a place to set your stuff down in the city.
Situated literally above Primark in the city centre it's perfect if you want to visit the shops. The Bullring is about 1 minute away. The station is located about 200 yards from the door to the hotel.
Because of the location. If you get a street facing room don't be surprised to hear the hustle and bustle from the people below. A automated bollard kept talking throughout one of the nights we stayed. Also a busker kept us entertained too.
The staff were quick but not friendly. Not that it mattered to us. Wifi is available in the lobby.
Basic but perfect for the city adventurer

• Stayed September 2012

Thank you for taking the time to write your review.

I am so pleased that you took the opportunity to sample first hand the perfect location, and exceptional value for money we at Britannia Hotel Birmingham offer, and were not put off by some of the negative reviews posted here.

Truro, United Kingdom
Reviewed 9 September 2012

Classic tired , wonky old city hotel. Location cannot be beat though , right on the pedestrianized New Street , main shopping street. Bargain really , i paid £55 for 2 nights through Kayak. It was HOT as was August but outside of summer heat will not be a problem, as no A/C. Would stay again but only at these prices.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled solo
1 Thank cornish-scrumpy

Reviewed 6 September 2012

Well I'm surprised by the poor reviews as I think for the price you pay you can't complained we stayed last night and were pleasantly surprised at how nice it was,
Don't get me wrong the place does look tired but we paid £43.00 for one night including breakfast.
The room was adquate and had all working facilities for what we needed! The check in was friendly and smooth and breakfast was a lovely selection of cereals and hot food.
I must say we felt that we got a great bargain and would defiantly stay again if we were in Birmingham.
I think people on here are being slightly fussy and need to understand that if you pay such a cheap price expect basic commodities pay for an expensive hotel expect the very best
I work for a 4star hotel so of course standard is expected
But thank you to all staff yesterday for a pleasant and welcoming stay

• Stayed September 2012
2 Thank Liseeelou316
Birmbritannia, General Manager at Britannia Hotel Birmingham, responded to this review, 8 September 2012
Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to write your review, I couldnot agree with your comments more.

Limoges, France
Reviewed 6 September 2012

Spent 3 nights on business in this awful hotel. This hotel is soooo old and needs upgrading from the reception desk to the floors and dining room. I booked a non smoking room through the internet and paid for it. I was told it was available but when I turned up, I was given a different room as the hotel was fully booked with a conference. It was like sleeping in an ashtray !!! From the curtains to the bed spread, everything smelt of smoke ! Horrible. The entrance to the hotel isn't on the main road but in a narrow side street, you blink and you miss it. Breakfast was generous but poor quality. There are so many conferences going on all the time that it's a constant come and go between floors (old lifts). Night life is virtually non existant on the high street (there's a cinema though) and you need to walk quite a bit to find any sign of life. The personel is nice. The bedding was old but clean so was the bathroom.

Room Tip: On the top floor you get a tiny balcony with a view of the city. Don't chose one that overlooks...
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled with friends
1 Thank traduction87
Dear Guest

The hotel accommodates 2000+ guests on a weekly basis and I believe that we offer excellent service and value for money.

We are situated directly in the City Centre and are only 2 minutes walk away from all the nightlife in Birmingham.

Regards

Travellers are raving about these Birmingham hotels

Barry, United Kingdom
Reviewed 6 September 2012

You won't beat the hotel for it's location and at £31 (double room on R/O) or £41 (double room B&B) you can't expect that much. The rooms are small and can be noisy due to the location and very old windows. The hotel does need a facelift and the rooms need updating.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple