“Could do better.”

Britannia Hotel Birmingham
Ranked #110 of 118 Hotels in Birmingham
Reviewed 27 September 2013

After checking I was given a room that was either already occupied or had not been serviced! There were unused soft drink bottles, litter and a toilet roll covering the floor and the bedclothes were left in a heap. I therefore had to lug my bag back to reception to be allocated another room. This room was clean but rather dark. However, even though there was a fixed shower head above the bath and a control dial I could not find cord, button or water flow converter to make the shower work. Although the toilet handle functioned, it was nevertheless loose. There was also a crack in the wash basin. My window was not double glazed and I could hear the constant droning of an air conditioner. Bizarrely, the plug sockets were not compatible with the plugs that I have so annoying I could not recharge my mobile phone. Moreover, some of the sockets were for round pronged plugs. My advice would be to bring a continental adapter. On the plus side, free Wi-Fi is available in the reception area and luggage can be stored after check out at 11.ooam. The hotel is centrally located and close to sites, shops and public transport. Friendly staff.

Room Tip: If you are a light sleeper request a room away from air conditioning fans.
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank Thewanderer5
Birmbritannia, General Manager at Britannia Hotel Birmingham, responded to this reviewResponded 2 October 2013

Dear Guest,

Please accept my apologies that the hotel failed to meet with your expectations at this time.

I will of course pass your comments onto the relevant department managers for improvements to be made where deemed necessary

Regards

Write a ReviewReviews (2,709)

Reviewed 26 September 2013

Had to go to Birmingham for work and they booked us all in to the Brittania hotel I got put on the 8th floor,as a non smoker this was the smoking floor and it stank they also allow dogs in the rooms I have pets myself but wouldn't want them in a tiny hotel room, and the room was small with a lot of furniture in it. the window did not shut and was held together by a small chain. I thought I would get a pidgeon visit in the night!!! I did not complain as it was only for one night,It was very noisy until about 5 am
Breakfast was extra and OK probably the only redeaming thing, I would not chose to stay there again.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled on business
2  Thank jay63Devon
Birmbritannia, General Manager at Britannia Hotel Birmingham, responded to this reviewResponded 27 September 2013

Dear Guest

I am sorry that the Hotel failed to meet some of your expectations at this time, and do wish that you had brought this to our attention during your stay, as it would have given us the opportunity to address your concerns first hand and offer you a room move if necessary, allowing you to leave the Hotel with a more favourable outlook.

Reviewed 26 September 2013

I have stayed in number of Britannia Hotel across UK, and I do believe, u always get, what u pay for. Britannia Hotels are always budget friendly. So, I never expect a 5star facilities from them.

However, in this particular one, I haven't found anything to complain about. I am lucky or anything else, I don't know, but I had a great stay. Room, bathroom everything was clean, nice & cosy bed. No complain at all and will be delighted to go back.

Stayed: October 2012, travelled on business

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to write your review,

I am pleased to see that the hotel met with your expectations for the purpose of your trip and we hope to welcome you again in the future.

Reviewed 24 September 2013

Visited Birmingham for social event september for a weekend stay. On arrival hotel very old that is not a problem, as I love old buildings but on further entering the hotel room you notice the dirt. We stayed the first night as we were tired and thought we would make do. In the morning I found takeaway food stuck to a light switch, food under the bed, mushrooms (yes mushrooms) in the kettle and a athrodisiac condom thingy on a saucer by the kettle. We have been charged for this no refund. avoid this horrible hotel.

• Stayed: September 2013
2  Thank movingh

Dear Guest

I am sorry that the Hotel failed to meet your standards at this time.

Staff are available and on duty 24 hours per day and had you made them aware that you were unhappy with the accommodation provided, they would have been able to assist you in making your stay a much more comfortable and enjoyable one

The hotel accommodates 2000+ guests on a weekly basis and I believe that we offer excellent value for money.

Reviewed 23 September 2013

stayed at the hotel on various occasions. I had been out on meetings & came back at 15.30 & room had still not been cleaned? I had to tell them to leave it as I had work to do on laptop & didn't want to be disturbed, had no fresh towels. had paid for 2nd night but decided to vacate at 6pm to another hotel after the disappointment without advising the reception.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with Galahotels.com

Dear Guest

I am sorry that the Hotel failed to meet some of your expectations at this time and do wish that you had brought this to our attention during your stay, as it would have given us the opportunity to address your concerns first hand, allowing you to leave the Hotel with a more favourable veiw.

Reviewed 20 September 2013

Stayed here 1 night 18/09/2013, had read reviews so new wot to expect but do like to make my own mind up!!! It's right in the middle of the shops on the high street and few minutes walk from new street train station. Arrived early for check in but was able to leave bags and go off for the day. We checked in and on our way to the room found the decor to be dark and dismal, basically the skirting, doors and frames all painted black! Went into our room and wow we were thrown back in time!!! This room was as basic as basic could be but was clean! Breakfast was fine the next morning. The only positive I have is the staff, they were very helpful and friendly especially the young man who checked us in and out (sorry we didn't get your name or your twin brothers!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!) :-))

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple

Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to write your review.

I am so pleased that you took the opportunity to sample first hand the perfect location, and exceptional value for money we at Britannia Hotel Birmingham offer, and were not put off by some of the negative reviews posted here.

Reviewed 19 September 2013

This is not really a hotel you would go on holiday, it is in the centre of Birmingham and right near New Street Station. Great value for money, helpful friendly staff, a great low cost base for the centre of Birmingham

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with family

Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to write your review.

We look forward to welcoming you back in the future