“Great value for money”

Britannia Hotel Birmingham
Ranked #110 of 118 Hotels in Birmingham
Reviewed 2 October 2013 via mobile

Paid £33 for a single room, was allocated a double which I was very pleased about

Asked for a non smoking room but was allocated a smoking room, didn't really bother me though

Room was clean but quite old fashioned- it has a certain amount of charm

This hotel is not half as bad as other reviews make out and I'd stay again

• Stayed: October 2013
2  Thank Jonathan H
Birmbritannia, General Manager at Britannia Hotel Birmingham, responded to this reviewResponded 7 October 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to write your review

I am pleased to see that the hotel met with your expectations and we look forward to welcoming you again in the future

There are newer reviews for Britannia Hotel Birmingham

Reviewed 1 October 2013

This hotel is disgusting in every way and we stay in hotels all the time. It is without doubt the worst hotel we have ever stayed in. The nearest car park is an NCP one and is 15 mins walk away so really inconvenient. We booked an executive room which is on the 9th floor but only one of the 2 lifts worked for this floor and certain other floors as the other one has been vandalised. The room was tiny, really dated and worn carpet and this is an executive room. There are no opening windows on this floor and the air conditioning was not working. Reception said they would adjust it from downstairs but it did nothing. They said there were no other rooms to move too. As the night wore on the room got hotter and hotter and we could not sleep so my wife took a shower at 3am to cool down. She then went to dry her hair and the hair dryer exploded in her hand and all sparks came out. I called reception who said there were no other dryers available and I asked if there was another room she could dry her hair in and we were taken to a room afew doors away which was available and which was much cooler as the air conditioning was working. We moved there at 4am and we missed breakfast which we had already paid for as we had hardly slept. The next morning I tried to talk to Ian the manager to explain all our problems and ask for some type of refund as we had paid cash upfront and we had barely slept all night, missed breakfast and my wife could of been seriously hurt from the hairdryer which should not have been left in that state and he refused and was very rude and threatening getting up very close to me. I have never seen a manager of a hotel behave like this. He also questioned me and did not believe me even though it was all marked down from the day before. I was so upset that this matter was handled in such an unprofessional way and with such a bad attitude. I also asked why i had been told there was no room to move too when there was and he said people had not arrived. We would not advise anybody atall to stay in this hotel as they could not care less about their customers. An utter disgrace.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Debby R
Birmbritannia, General Manager at Britannia Hotel Birmingham, responded to this reviewResponded 3 October 2013

Dear Guest

I completely disagree with all your comments, several Guests in Reception after you left ( shouting as you walked away ) all commented on your aggressive behaviour towards myself.

What you informed me in the morning was inconsistent with what the night staff had informed me, which is why further investigation was required, may I also add that you requested a full refund and not a discount, even though you had not paid the correct charge for your dogs, one of which subsequently went to bite one of the Staff.

Reviewed 29 September 2013 via mobile

Upon arrival I was given my key to be greeted by a lift that had the buttons stolen and therefore not fully functional. When I arrived at my room it was apparent it had not been cleaned or made up from the previous guests.I had to traipse back down to the reception to be given another room. This room was also not very clean, it was apparent it had not been cleaned properly and found remaining rubbish from previous guests on the floor. The bathroom was disgusting and the floor was sticky. The noise throughout the hotel in the evening was awful, the walls may as well had been made of paper. Doors slamming and other guests made it incredibly difficult to sleep. I had faith that the breakfast would make the stay more pleasant, but my optimism was knocked immediately when I saw the buffet. The tea was the worst tasting tea bags I have ever had in my life! Would never stay again, feel as if I was robbed for the price I paid and the condition of my room! Room was at an appalling standard and didn't look like the pictures at all! Thankfully I was only there one night!

• Stayed: September 2013
1  Thank Becky M
Birmbritannia, General Manager at Britannia Hotel Birmingham, responded to this reviewResponded 2 October 2013

Dear Guest,

Please accept my apologies that the hotel did not meet with your expectations.

At no time prior to your departure did you make anyone aware that you were unhappy with the room and the quality of the breakfast, had you made your dis-satisfaction known to the staff, they would have been able to assist you in making your stay a much more comfortable and enjoyable one.

We appreciate all guest feedback (good or bad) as this allows us to monitor the level of service we provide thus enabling us to make any necessary improvements.

Reviewed 27 September 2013

We had a forth floor front facing room,so the noise of New Street was evident,however,it had no impact.Clean tidy room,had the usual 3 star content youd expect.Hair drier.tv,phone,room service,Room rate was good for the city centre.VERY VERY handy for seeing the city centre on foot.We thought it was an ok hotel.

Room Tip: Try for a rear facing room if you need peace.
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Tom M

Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to write your review which will be shared with the rest of the Staff.

I am so pleased that you took the opportunity to sample first hand the perfect location, and exceptional value for money we at Britannia Hotel Birmingham offer, and were not put off by some of the negative reviews posted here.

We look forward to welcoming you back in the future

Reviewed 27 September 2013

After checking I was given a room that was either already occupied or had not been serviced! There were unused soft drink bottles, litter and a toilet roll covering the floor and the bedclothes were left in a heap. I therefore had to lug my bag back to reception to be allocated another room. This room was clean but rather dark. However, even though there was a fixed shower head above the bath and a control dial I could not find cord, button or water flow converter to make the shower work. Although the toilet handle functioned, it was nevertheless loose. There was also a crack in the wash basin. My window was not double glazed and I could hear the constant droning of an air conditioner. Bizarrely, the plug sockets were not compatible with the plugs that I have so annoying I could not recharge my mobile phone. Moreover, some of the sockets were for round pronged plugs. My advice would be to bring a continental adapter. On the plus side, free Wi-Fi is available in the reception area and luggage can be stored after check out at 11.ooam. The hotel is centrally located and close to sites, shops and public transport. Friendly staff.

Room Tip: If you are a light sleeper request a room away from air conditioning fans.
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank Thewanderer5

Dear Guest,

Please accept my apologies that the hotel failed to meet with your expectations at this time.

I will of course pass your comments onto the relevant department managers for improvements to be made where deemed necessary

Reviewed 26 September 2013

Had to go to Birmingham for work and they booked us all in to the Brittania hotel I got put on the 8th floor,as a non smoker this was the smoking floor and it stank they also allow dogs in the rooms I have pets myself but wouldn't want them in a tiny hotel room, and the room was small with a lot of furniture in it. the window did not shut and was held together by a small chain. I thought I would get a pidgeon visit in the night!!! I did not complain as it was only for one night,It was very noisy until about 5 am
Breakfast was extra and OK probably the only redeaming thing, I would not chose to stay there again.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled on business
2  Thank jay63Devon
Birmbritannia, General Manager at Britannia Hotel Birmingham, responded to this reviewResponded 27 September 2013

Dear Guest

I am sorry that the Hotel failed to meet some of your expectations at this time, and do wish that you had brought this to our attention during your stay, as it would have given us the opportunity to address your concerns first hand and offer you a room move if necessary, allowing you to leave the Hotel with a more favourable outlook.

Reviewed 26 September 2013

I have stayed in number of Britannia Hotel across UK, and I do believe, u always get, what u pay for. Britannia Hotels are always budget friendly. So, I never expect a 5star facilities from them.

However, in this particular one, I haven't found anything to complain about. I am lucky or anything else, I don't know, but I had a great stay. Room, bathroom everything was clean, nice & cosy bed. No complain at all and will be delighted to go back.

Stayed: October 2012, travelled on business

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to write your review,

I am pleased to see that the hotel met with your expectations for the purpose of your trip and we hope to welcome you again in the future.