“German Market stay”

Ranked #109 of 117 Hotels in Birmingham
Telford, United Kingdom
“German Market stay”
Reviewed 25 November 2013

Don't bother upgrading to a executive suite as I was persuaded to do, curtains hanging off track, to high for us to put back on, lifts took ages to come, food mediocre at best, we were also told it was cheaper by Britannia telephone booking that it was £15.00 to pay for late check out at Hotel or £10.00 with them, so we did and low and behold signs round Hotel said it was £10.00 any way.
We love staying at Britannia Hotels but this one we would not stay at again, cannot fault the location though.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
Birmbritannia, General Manager at Britannia Hotel Birmingham, responded to this review, 6 December 2013
Dear Guest,

Please accept my apologies that the hotel failed to meet with your expectations at this time.

I will of course pass your comments onto the relevant department managers for improvements to be made where deemed necessary

Regards

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (499)
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
  • Turkish first
Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed 22 November 2013 via mobile

As with most reviews I agree with it needing updated. Carpet & decor in my room were obviously dated, tv old, only one proper plug for phone charger which I had heater plugged into. However it wasn't dirty or anything. Room was a good size. However walls are VERY thin. Could hear the full conversation of those in the room next to me. & I literally mean I could have joined in the conversation it was so clear! Location is perfect for shopping. 2 min walk from train station. Breakfast was good with a decent selection. However online I paid £10 to have breakfast added on. & it certainly was not worth that. However that could just be a third party website ripping me off. I would suggest adding it on as extra when you arrive as its cheaper. For a one night stay I found it suited me. But if you're after luxury this isn't for you!

• Stayed November 2013
Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to write your review.

I am so pleased that you took the opportunity to sample first hand the perfect location, and exceptional value for money we at Britannia Hotel Birmingham offer, and were not put off by some of the negative reviews posted here.

We look forward to welcoming you back in the future

Stoke-on-Trent, United Kingdom
Reviewed 22 November 2013

We stayed for 2nights the room we stayed in was for disabled it had a wet plus separate bath room. We found the staff very helpful although they had to get a ramp to get the wheelchair into the hotel. The hotel dose need updating it is like being in the fifties. The breakfast vas one of the best we have had for some time. Our visit was to see the Xmas fair which was outside the hotel it is also near new street station and all the main shops.

Thank you for taking the time to write your review

I am pleased to see that the majority of the hotel met with your expectations, and i completely agree with you with regards to our breakfast being one of the best around, we have so many positive comments about it.

We look forward to welcoming you again in the future

Coventry, United Kingdom
Reviewed 21 November 2013

We stayed overnight on the 19/11, the check in was extremly quick, our room was on the 9th floor, a good size, clean and quiet, we found all staff to be very courteous, The hotel does need some updating, especially the tv's and lifts and the food could be better, but for a hotel in the heart of birmingham city centre at the prices on offer I would have no hesitation in staying there again.

Thank you for taking the time to write your review

I am pleased to see that the majority of the hotel met with your expectations and we look forward to welcoming you again in the future

Falkirk, United Kingdom
Reviewed 18 November 2013

Stayed her mid November 2013 as I was going to see an exhibition at the NEC. The outside of the hotel is filthy. Don't know when the windows were last cleaned. the entrance is up a dingy alley. The whole of the hotel is past its best. the carpets are worn and the wallpaper is peeling. The room itself was a decent size, was warm but very very dated. I would echo another reviewer as I could hear the lifts working all night too. My package included evening meal. Don't even think of doing it. It's all frozen food that's served up. I'm afraid the staff are not up to much either . Most are foreign and hardly speak English and those that are English don't care that you are a paying customer. The bar runs a happy hour till 7.00 pm if that's your thing. All in all a very poor experience and I would not recommend this hotel.

Room Tip: No tips just stay at a Travelodge instead
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
Birmbritannia, General Manager at Britannia Hotel Birmingham, responded to this review, 21 November 2013
Dear Guest,

I am sorry that the hotel failed to meet with your expectations at this time.

I disagree with your comments in regards to the staff, a few are from other countries, but all are fluent in the English language,

Managers are available and on duty 24 hours per day and had you made them aware that you were unhappy with the Hotel, they would have been able to address your concerns first hand.

I will of course pass your comments onto the relevant departmental managers for improvements to be made where deemed necessary

Regards

Travellers are raving about these Birmingham hotels

Cardiff
Reviewed 16 November 2013

By far the worst hotel I have ever stayed in. I don't know where they got their brochure pictures from, must have had a room made up especially. We asked for a superior room and ended up at the end of a corridore on the 6th floor. When we entered we had to put the light on to see anything. There were three single beds in the room and the outlook was a brick wall about 6ft away. There were no extractor fans in the toilet and there were 2 PIN PLUGS by the side of the bed. The only good thing was the food which, for the price, was very good. The staff couldn't care less if you were there or not and the most strange people were coming and going into the restaurant, leaving not the best of smells. The Premiar Inn is opposite and we will be staying there in future. I would not recommend this hotel to by worst enemy!!! Also they are doing a lot of building work round and about so take your ear plugs. This cannot be blamed on the hotel.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
2 Thank littlelynn2
Dear Guest

I am sorry that the Hotel failed to meet some of your expectations at this time, and do wish that you had brought this to our attention during your stay, as it would have given us the opportunity to address your concerns first hand, allowing you to leave the Hotel with a more favourable outlook.

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 16 November 2013

We stayed here and except for being sent to a room someone was already in and another having a broken window it was ok. We were I believe upgraded to the top floor and the rooms here are perfect. Clean nicely furnished and a great bathroom. Check in is good and location wise hotel is great. I would stay here again but as for the top floor directly.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to write your review,

I am pleased to see that the hotel met with your expectations for the purpose of your trip and we hope to welcome you again in the future.