“if it wasn't for work booking us in!!!! we would be gone!”

Britannia Hotel Birmingham
Ranked #109 of 117 Hotels in Birmingham
Birmingham, United Kingdom
“if it wasn't for work booking us in!!!! we would be gone!”
Reviewed 28 November 2013

my self and friend are staying in Britannia right now!!! we are down from Aberdeen for a course that is not in this hotel! work booked us in as it appeared to be the cheaper option!!!! very true indeed! on arrival late last night I was told that my room had not been paid for but the other room was. despite showing the Check in guy the booking ref form he continued to argue the fact it wasn't but it was! making us hand over a credit card for "authorisation" despite it not being the card it was booked with. he offered an "upgrade" which we took. when getting to the rooms we found it not to be much of an upgrade atall. no windows only air con, which seemed to be only pumping out hot air! my room not so bad in comparison to my pals room. air con stuck on 20c random stains on the carpet. and horrendous smell! rotten floor board next to bath! she actually went and asked to be de-upgraded. but the room she got wasn't much better with a stained carpet. sedament due to a leaking radiator, stained chair, and hair in the the bath plug! that was deffinatly not hers as she is not ginger!!!! we were going to move hotels but thought we my not be re-embersed from work! DO NOT STAY HERE! when discussing the accommodation with some locals on our course the informed us that the Britannia rent rooms by the hour to a certin profession and clients! people say that hospitals arnt clean! Infection control teams would have a Feel day at this hotel!!!!

• Stayed November 2013
Birmbritannia, General Manager at Britannia Hotel Birmingham, responded to this review, 6 December 2013
Dear Guest

I am sorry that the hotel failed to meet with your expectations at this time.

I will of course pass your comments onto the relevant departmental managers for improvements to be made where deemed necessary.

With regards to the information given by "local people", I can assure you that we do not rent rooms by the hour, all rooms are booked on a nightly rate and we do have a strict check in policy whereby ID and credit/debit cards are taken for all guests and should anyone not be able to provide this, we do not check them in. Obviously it is extremely difficult to pre judge any guests behaviour but should the staff be made aware of any activity deemed to be immoral or otherwise, the staff will eject said guests from the hotel

Regards

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (499)
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
  • Turkish first
St. Annes-on-Sea, United Kingdom
Reviewed 26 November 2013 via mobile

I only booked for the one night with a friend for an evening out around the city but actually didn't end up sleeping over here due to unforeseen circumstances (probably a blessing!) however hotel entrance is down a bit of a side alley and doesn't exactly have a very welcoming exterior and not so nice inside either, reception / check in area needs some sort of a revamp as the whole place was dated and not only looked dirty but was indeed very dirty. Most of the staff looked miserable though hardly surprising in that environment! The whole place was filthy. Upon entering our room I was very disappointed but  just glad I didn't end up staying here! Everything you could see or touch in the room needed a good clean and the rooms very dated and boring. Didn't want to touch anything in the bedroom! The 'view' from the room was of other rooms with a courtyard at the bottom - the building all grey and drab. Very unappealing! Lots of young crowds staying over at the weekend, more like a hen/stag hotel!! Guests throwing things out the bedroom windows and smashing things up and shouting to one another through the windows - was like a prison!! Would Never consider again, so glad I didn't have to sleep here. I always thought Britannia hotels were Supposed to Be good - obviously not! Birmingham however I love the city!

• Stayed October 2013
Dear Guest

I am sorry that the hotel failed to meet with your expectations at this time.

Staff are available and on duty 24 hours per day and had you made them aware that you were unhappy with the accommodation provided, they would have been able to address your concerns at the time.

Regards

Travellers are raving about these Birmingham hotels

Oxford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 25 November 2013

Stayed for 2 nights in November on a xmas shopping trip. Ideally situated for the Bullring. Staff were friendly and helpful. The room was clean and warm and the beds were very comfy. However the windows were of the old metal sort and not double glazed so could hear all the street noise below. Also were extremely dirty and net curtains had holes in. Tv was old and bathroom could do with modernising, bath old and stained as were fittings. The breakfast was buffet style which is fine but was not very warm and one pot of jam and marmarlade for everyone to share, not individual sachets ! Would also like to point out that the hotel photos are nothing like the real thing.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to write your review.

I am pleased to see that the majority of the hotel met with your expectations for the purpose of your visit, and we hope to welcome you again in the future.

Telford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 25 November 2013

Don't bother upgrading to a executive suite as I was persuaded to do, curtains hanging off track, to high for us to put back on, lifts took ages to come, food mediocre at best, we were also told it was cheaper by Britannia telephone booking that it was £15.00 to pay for late check out at Hotel or £10.00 with them, so we did and low and behold signs round Hotel said it was £10.00 any way.
We love staying at Britannia Hotels but this one we would not stay at again, cannot fault the location though.

Dear Guest,

Please accept my apologies that the hotel failed to meet with your expectations at this time.

I will of course pass your comments onto the relevant department managers for improvements to be made where deemed necessary

Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed 22 November 2013 via mobile

As with most reviews I agree with it needing updated. Carpet & decor in my room were obviously dated, tv old, only one proper plug for phone charger which I had heater plugged into. However it wasn't dirty or anything. Room was a good size. However walls are VERY thin. Could hear the full conversation of those in the room next to me. & I literally mean I could have joined in the conversation it was so clear! Location is perfect for shopping. 2 min walk from train station. Breakfast was good with a decent selection. However online I paid £10 to have breakfast added on. & it certainly was not worth that. However that could just be a third party website ripping me off. I would suggest adding it on as extra when you arrive as its cheaper. For a one night stay I found it suited me. But if you're after luxury this isn't for you!

• Stayed November 2013
Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to write your review.

I am so pleased that you took the opportunity to sample first hand the perfect location, and exceptional value for money we at Britannia Hotel Birmingham offer, and were not put off by some of the negative reviews posted here.

We look forward to welcoming you back in the future

Stoke-on-Trent, United Kingdom
Reviewed 22 November 2013

We stayed for 2nights the room we stayed in was for disabled it had a wet plus separate bath room. We found the staff very helpful although they had to get a ramp to get the wheelchair into the hotel. The hotel dose need updating it is like being in the fifties. The breakfast vas one of the best we have had for some time. Our visit was to see the Xmas fair which was outside the hotel it is also near new street station and all the main shops.

Thank you for taking the time to write your review

I am pleased to see that the majority of the hotel met with your expectations, and i completely agree with you with regards to our breakfast being one of the best around, we have so many positive comments about it.

We look forward to welcoming you again in the future

Coventry, United Kingdom
Reviewed 21 November 2013

We stayed overnight on the 19/11, the check in was extremly quick, our room was on the 9th floor, a good size, clean and quiet, we found all staff to be very courteous, The hotel does need some updating, especially the tv's and lifts and the food could be better, but for a hotel in the heart of birmingham city centre at the prices on offer I would have no hesitation in staying there again.

Thank you for taking the time to write your review

I am pleased to see that the majority of the hotel met with your expectations and we look forward to welcoming you again in the future