“Shabby not Chic”

Ranked #110 of 118 Hotels in Birmingham
Kingston-upon-Hull, United Kingdom
“Shabby not Chic”
Reviewed 20 December 2013

Cheap but even at same price wouldn't stay here again. Location was great but that's as good as it gets.
Staff very curt and not very helpful.
Smell of dirty damp cloths on all the landings.
Room drab, not helped by the fact that the lamp did not work.
Iron in the ironing room did not work.
Beds uncomfortable and pillows hard.
Breakfast ok but no tea left and no more put out.
I rarely put bad reviews and think I am quite easily pleased but sorry, wouldn't recommend a stay here at all.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
Birmbritannia, General Manager at Britannia Hotel Birmingham, responded to this review, 3 January 2014
Dear Guest

I am sorry that the Hotel failed to meet your standards at this time and wish that you had brought this to our attention during your stay, as it would have given us the opportunity to address your concerns first hand, and allowed you to leave the Hotel with a more favourable outlook.

Regards

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (487)
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
  • Turkish first
Aberystwyth, United Kingdom
Reviewed 19 December 2013

I booked into the Britannia as a last minute measure when my flight home was delayed, leaving me stuck in Birmingham for the night. I secured a single room for £29, which seemed impressive given its location a stones throw from Birmingham New Street station.

The Britannia has no pretense of being up-market. The shabby exterior leaves an immediate impression which persists throughout. The staff aren't unfriendly, but neither do they pretend to love their job. They are there to get the job done, with no frills, much like the hotel itself.

In keeping with the rest, my room was rather spartan. Only the bathroom light and a lamp in the main room worked, and the fixtures looked positively ancient. The bed was the only part of the room that I could say with any confidence looked clean, and really all I cared about. The windows were single glazed, but seemed to do a good enough job of cutting out noise, and I slept well.

The bathroom was reasonable, with a shower that was pleasingly powerful. The towels had a rather troubling smell. Perhaps they had just been left damp from washing for too long, I can only hope.

All together, I was quite happy with the place - given the price. I imagine most people would be put off by the pervading shabbiness, but I would recommend it to someone who found them in a similar situation to mine.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled solo
Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to write your review.

I am so pleased that you took the opportunity to sample first hand the perfect location, and exceptional value for money we at Britannia Hotel Birmingham offer, and were not put off by some of the negative reviews posted here.

We look forward to welcoming you back in the future

Great Malvern, United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 December 2013

A family break to see the German Market and just about the best place to stop. Central, clean and cheap. Of course it is an old hotel and despite some refurbishment it is showing its age. Still, everything you would want is there and the staff are friendly and helpful.
Shame about the flood at the bar as the carpets were still drying out when we were there, and I am guessing that the art works came from a factory clear out.
Not sure that the meal deal is worth it other than it is convenient.

Having said all that I would probably go back.

Room Tip: We had a room overlooking New Street which as it was Sunday night was no problem and gave us a view...
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to write your review.

We look forward to welcoming you back in the future

London
Reviewed 15 December 2013 via mobile

I have stayed before and found this to be very good value for money. It does not have the facilities of larger hotels but that is reflected in the price. Some of the decor and rooms are a bit "tired". It will certainly suit those looking for a reasonably priced central hotel.

• Stayed December 2013
Birmbritannia, General Manager at Britannia Hotel Birmingham, responded to this review, 16 December 2013

Thank you for taking the time to write your review

I am pleased to see that the hotel met with your expectations for the purpose of your trip and we look forward to welcoming you again in the future

Reviewed 12 December 2013 via mobile

As two girls 18 & 19 visiting birmingham over Halloween weekend for nights out all we really needed was somewhere in the city in good walking distance to bars clubs/broad street, it only took us about a ten min drunk stumble to get there (we went up through paradise forum) and was ideal. The hotel is self is nice, friendly staff however we did have an issue with a broken hair dryer they'd supplied but brought us a brand new boxed one the next morning. We also had some very randy neighbours next to us however not the hotels fault, and they offered to deal with the situation (we said no need as we were heading out within the next hour anyway). A good hotel and a great price.

The only downfall for us was street performers such as brass bands and beat boxers starting at 11am right beneath us on new street every morning when we were sleeping in, hungover. ha.

Would and will visit again, booked another trip here in March for another friends birthday. Thanks britannia!

• Stayed October 2013

Thank you for taking the time to write your review

Stoke-on-Trent, United Kingdom
Reviewed 7 December 2013

My Brother in Law booked this hotel for my sister and I for one night last Thursday (5th December) as we were going to a concert nearby. It was chosen primarily for the location. This was our first and last stay in a Brittania hotel. We usually book similarly priced accommodation which is in stark contrast CLEAN. If only I had read the reviews on here prior to our stay... the 'negative' ones I have scrolled through tonight are absolutely spot on!

The dirty exterior of the hotel is a hint of what's inside.We stayed in a room on the 6th floor (although this seems irrelevant judging from the other reviews on here) The following can be forgiven and tolerated..... with a sense of humour; horrible pictures on the wall, very dated and drab furniture, lob sided dirty lamps, half of the plug sockets in room so old that they are not compatible with current UK plugs, circa 1980's fat TV (that did not work), circa 1980's phone- complete with dirt marks and stains. As I walked through this hotel I felt as though I had been transported back in time to a 1950's theatre. Very old and bizarre decor and a hoover wouldn't go a miss!!
However, the following cannot be excused.... both valance sheets were absolutely filthy and covered in stains! Lord only knows when they were last changed!!!... ewwwww. Downright dirty.. the bedside cabinet, table, door frames, head board etc and the window was just something else. I opened the drab dirty curtain to look at the 'view' (courtyard) oh my goodness. Window filthy and I mean thick in filth, disgusting. After breakfast we returned to the room to collect our bags. In the adjacent room there were 3 members of house keeping staff.. one of which was perched on the bed tucking into a plated breakfast. When they saw us the door swiftly closed. As we waited for the lift upon leaving we looked through the corridor window, what a lovely view of the ledge. A nappy sack, a fork, a cigarette packet and a used condom to name but a few. Inexcusable. Also reception staff miserable.
I do not want a managerial 'copy and pasted' response to this review informing me that I could have "notified the Duty Manager who is available 24 hours per day" nor one which states that "maintenance and house keeping have been notified and will address issues where deemed appropriate". I am offended that there are SO MANY similar reviews on here and our experience was the same.. only a few days ago!!
At almost £70 per night the view "you get what you pay for" doesn't wash with me. Cleanliness is the very least that should be expected regardless of the price. I would not recommend this hotel to anyone and will definately not return.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank Jackie B
Dear Guest

Please accept my most sincere apologies for that the hotel did not meet with your expectations at this time

As I would advise any guests, there is a manager on duty 24 hours per day who will gladly help any guests in rectifying any issues to enable them to have a much more comfortable and enjoyable stay

The hotel accommodates over 2000+ guests on a weekly basis and I do not feel that all negatives comments are a true reflection of the standards and service provided

Travellers are raving about these Birmingham hotels

London
Reviewed 7 December 2013

once upon a time this was a good hotel but it really has seen better days . Beds are old, the sheet just about fitted and most of the surfaces were sticky. carpets are dirty so keep your shoes on at all times and take hand gel. the decorations, lamps and tv were very old and this is a bit like eastern Europe. but its cheap and in the middle of brum and you could do worse - probably.

Room Tip: in another hotel
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled on business