“Did not meet expectations”

Britannia Hotel Birmingham
Ranked #109 of 118 Hotels in Birmingham
Birmingham
“Did not meet expectations”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 December 2013

Public hotel areas majorly need updating. I was on the 7th floor and the lift consistently struggled to reach my floor so I had to take the stairs down several times.

Room was dusty, with a large window that didn't lock from the inside, which made me feel insecure as well as brought a constant draft into the room. Curtains and carpet were stained. Asked for a non-smoking room but was obviously given smoking (maybe due to availability); naturally it smelled awful. There was apparently a big group in the room next door and their merry-making as well as every chesty cough, cackle and burp was clearly audible. Couldn't sleep well because of noise throughout the night.

Best part about this hotel is the location. I expect that's why they're not bothered to improve standard and presentation of the hotel - they know they will get business regardless.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled on business
Birmbritannia, General Manager at Britannia Hotel Birmingham, responded to this review, 3 January 2014
Dear Guest,

I am sorry that certain aspects of the hotel failed to meet with your expectations at this time.

Staff are on duty 24 hours per day and had you made them aware that you were unhappy with the food on offer, they would have been able to address your concerns, enabling you to leave the Hotel with a more favourable veiw.

Regards

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (474)
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
  • Turkish first
Zulu24
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 December 2013

I stayed here recently. We asked for a quiet room as the German market was on and the hotel faces directly towards it. The room we got was quite bizare. It was tiny. It actually looked like a room that had been divided down the middle as the window was in the corner. The view from the window was possibly the worst from any hotel I've ever stopped in. It was a dark grubby, horrible, well, not even a courtyard. The tv was old fashioned, and the room was generally depressing. We had breakfast which was quite nice buffet style. I think, deep down this hotel has bags of character but, but it really needs money spending on it to bring it up to date.

Dear Guest,

Regards

Travellers are raving about these Birmingham hotels

Kingston-upon-Hull, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 December 2013

Cheap but even at same price wouldn't stay here again. Location was great but that's as good as it gets.
Staff very curt and not very helpful.
Smell of dirty damp cloths on all the landings.
Room drab, not helped by the fact that the lamp did not work.
Iron in the ironing room did not work.
Beds uncomfortable and pillows hard.
Breakfast ok but no tea left and no more put out.
I rarely put bad reviews and think I am quite easily pleased but sorry, wouldn't recommend a stay here at all.

Dear Guest

I am sorry that the Hotel failed to meet your standards at this time and wish that you had brought this to our attention during your stay, as it would have given us the opportunity to address your concerns first hand, and allowed you to leave the Hotel with a more favourable outlook.

Aberystwyth, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 December 2013

I booked into the Britannia as a last minute measure when my flight home was delayed, leaving me stuck in Birmingham for the night. I secured a single room for £29, which seemed impressive given its location a stones throw from Birmingham New Street station.

The Britannia has no pretense of being up-market. The shabby exterior leaves an immediate impression which persists throughout. The staff aren't unfriendly, but neither do they pretend to love their job. They are there to get the job done, with no frills, much like the hotel itself.

In keeping with the rest, my room was rather spartan. Only the bathroom light and a lamp in the main room worked, and the fixtures looked positively ancient. The bed was the only part of the room that I could say with any confidence looked clean, and really all I cared about. The windows were single glazed, but seemed to do a good enough job of cutting out noise, and I slept well.

The bathroom was reasonable, with a shower that was pleasingly powerful. The towels had a rather troubling smell. Perhaps they had just been left damp from washing for too long, I can only hope.

All together, I was quite happy with the place - given the price. I imagine most people would be put off by the pervading shabbiness, but I would recommend it to someone who found them in a similar situation to mine.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled solo
Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to write your review.

I am so pleased that you took the opportunity to sample first hand the perfect location, and exceptional value for money we at Britannia Hotel Birmingham offer, and were not put off by some of the negative reviews posted here.

We look forward to welcoming you back in the future

Great Malvern, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 December 2013

A family break to see the German Market and just about the best place to stop. Central, clean and cheap. Of course it is an old hotel and despite some refurbishment it is showing its age. Still, everything you would want is there and the staff are friendly and helpful.
Shame about the flood at the bar as the carpets were still drying out when we were there, and I am guessing that the art works came from a factory clear out.
Not sure that the meal deal is worth it other than it is convenient.

Having said all that I would probably go back.

Room Tip: We had a room overlooking New Street which as it was Sunday night was no problem and gave us a view...
Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to write your review.

We look forward to welcoming you back in the future

London
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 December 2013 via mobile

I have stayed before and found this to be very good value for money. It does not have the facilities of larger hotels but that is reflected in the price. Some of the decor and rooms are a bit "tired". It will certainly suit those looking for a reasonably priced central hotel.

• Stayed December 2013
Birmbritannia, General Manager at Britannia Hotel Birmingham, responded to this review, 16 December 2013

Thank you for taking the time to write your review

I am pleased to see that the hotel met with your expectations for the purpose of your trip and we look forward to welcoming you again in the future

4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 December 2013 via mobile

As two girls 18 & 19 visiting birmingham over Halloween weekend for nights out all we really needed was somewhere in the city in good walking distance to bars clubs/broad street, it only took us about a ten min drunk stumble to get there (we went up through paradise forum) and was ideal. The hotel is self is nice, friendly staff however we did have an issue with a broken hair dryer they'd supplied but brought us a brand new boxed one the next morning. We also had some very randy neighbours next to us however not the hotels fault, and they offered to deal with the situation (we said no need as we were heading out within the next hour anyway). A good hotel and a great price.

The only downfall for us was street performers such as brass bands and beat boxers starting at 11am right beneath us on new street every morning when we were sleeping in, hungover. ha.

Would and will visit again, booked another trip here in March for another friends birthday. Thanks britannia!

• Stayed October 2013