“Really bad hotel I DO NOT WANT TO GIVE THIS HOTEL 1 STAR”

Britannia Hotel Birmingham
Ranked #109 of 118 Hotels in Birmingham
Reviewed 29 December 2013

Well stayed in this hotel over Xmas, One star hotels I have stayed in would jumped over the head of this hotel. The general manager was extremely rude, and the entertainment manager was not much better, I was on the 5th floor and you could hear the disco loudly at 11.45. Not enough lifts when over 100 people are checking in, not organized at all. The food was terrible, and we were seated 25 on my table, so what a poor xmas dinner. Everything frozen no taste, and cold. no entertainment only bingo quiz and disco, floor not big enough to dance on, in fact people went out to a well know chain steak restaurant to eat and drink there. Bedding never change in the 5 days I was there, lights not on when people were walking up the stairs, so that was dangerous. All toilets on 2nd floor or Muezzin were locked or not working when I tried them.this is the floor with no lights on the stairs The rooms had walls similar to studded walls so I could hear next door going to the toilet and even the channel they were watching on the mono tv, no digital here. Fighting outside the hotel. Very noisy people and children running up and down, when you were trying to get your dinner from the cold buffet suppose to be hot. Definitely would not put any weight on although it was a buffet, you were restricted in what you could eat., You could not have 2nd helping of the meat that they were serving. No stars for this 3 star and I would not recommend it to my enemies. I forgot, dirty wallpaper and the carpet could be cleaned, How could the Britannia hotels put up with this manager. I have been 4 times but never to one as bad as this. Britannia management board get you act together

Stayed: December 2013, travelled solo
2  Thank dianemary51
Birmbritannia, General Manager at Britannia Hotel Birmingham, responded to this reviewResponded 3 January 2014

Dear Guest

I apologise that we were not up to your liking or standards, as you kept commenting during your stay to myself and all other members of staff you shouted at, you couldn't wait to put your bad review on trip advisor, at least you were true to your word.

I take offence to your comments, as I did to your screaming in my face during your arrival at the Hotel, even before you stepped foot inside, as was explained to you after you went to look for the toilet you were directed to, the area you were in was roped off as no Guest should have been there, hence no lights other than the emergency lighting.

I can assure you that all toilets were open when you arrived, and throughout the duration of your stay

I can only say that tens of Guests commented to me about how much they had enjoyed their stay, and how well we had looked after them.

Regards

Write a ReviewReviews (2,745)

Reviewed 29 December 2013 via mobile

My husband and myself stopped here as we wanted to be as close to the Xmas German markets as possible. We paid £80 room only, we were put on the top floor only one of the two scary lifts was in use. Then the room oh dear dirty, dated, unheated we was frozen all night and the bathroom was so dirty I avoided the shower we couldn't wait to check out .

Dear Guest

I am sorry that the Hotel failed to meet some of your expectations at this time, and do wish that you had brought this to our attention during your stay, as it would have given us the opportunity to address your concerns first hand, allowing you to leave the Hotel with a more favourable outlook.

Reviewed 29 December 2013 via mobile

I booked this hotel on last minute and I was not expecting a luxurious adventure. I knew I will get what I pay for. Hotel was rather cheap for last minute booking... A Good point... Location... It's in downtown centre so you can easily access anywhere... Two shopping centres and lots of restaurants minutes away But a list of negatives I need to point out are:

1- hotel was dusty and spider webs were all around. Last day of my two day visit I had the honour to meet Mr. spider on my shoulder!!

2- radiators were making noise. It was like I had a radio station on, in my room.

3- Free wifi in lobby but no wifi coverage in rooms. I don't think it will cost a lot for a hotel to buy some access points...

4- two lifts were not enough for this hotel. Lifts were really old and slow and you had to wait couple of minutes each time for the next lift to arrive to platform!!

5- As expected there was no views outdoor. Single glazed windows opening to an area trapped by old buildings that at least could be cleaner and free from debris...

6- checkout time was 11:00 so I wanted to leave my luggage to reception and surf the city for last couple of hours and come back and pick it up but the reception was understaffed so a young lady was struggling to push some other visitors' luggage in a very small room by putting luggages on top of each other as the room was over packed so eventually that made me change mind totally as I knew up to this point was too much for the lady...

7- Smell of cigarette in the corridors

Overall: if you are in rush for a meeting and need to book a place ASAP, that might be considered as an option but to go there with a family is seriously not recommend...

Stayed: December 2013, travelled with friends

Dear Guest

I am sorry that the Hotel failed to meet some of your expectations at this time and wish that you had brought this to our attention during your stay, as it would have given us the opportunity to address your concerns first hand, and allowed you to leave the Hotel with a more favourable outlook.

Reviewed 28 December 2013 via mobile

Stayed as leisure visit for one night . Only good thing was location . However not worth the poor standards !! Decor and furniture paint falling away ,chipped ! Outdated and musty smelling ! Not even worth £30 we paid !
Never again

Dear Guest,

I am sorry that the hotel failed to meet with your expectations at this time.

Staff are available and on duty 24 hours per day and had you made them aware that you were unhappy with the accommodation provided, they would have been able to assist you in making your stay a much more comfortable and enjoyable one

Reviewed 27 December 2013 via mobile

Very bad found glass in room what was picked up by my girl the 3rd time rooms nt cleaned old food dropping on the floor food is not nice worst hotel I've been staff also very rude some bar staff polite but this hotel is not nice

1  Thank jesalviana

Dear Guest,

Despite several conversations with myself during your stay, and a telephone conversation with a Duty Manager before you arrived, I believe that no matter what we did for you and your family, it would not have satisfied you, until you had all been upgraded to the 9th floor, as you initially requested.

Reviewed 27 December 2013

Public hotel areas majorly need updating. I was on the 7th floor and the lift consistently struggled to reach my floor so I had to take the stairs down several times.

Room was dusty, with a large window that didn't lock from the inside, which made me feel insecure as well as brought a constant draft into the room. Curtains and carpet were stained. Asked for a non-smoking room but was obviously given smoking (maybe due to availability); naturally it smelled awful. There was apparently a big group in the room next door and their merry-making as well as every chesty cough, cackle and burp was clearly audible. Couldn't sleep well because of noise throughout the night.

Best part about this hotel is the location. I expect that's why they're not bothered to improve standard and presentation of the hotel - they know they will get business regardless.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled on business

Dear Guest,

I am sorry that certain aspects of the hotel failed to meet with your expectations at this time.

Staff are on duty 24 hours per day and had you made them aware that you were unhappy with the food on offer, they would have been able to address your concerns, enabling you to leave the Hotel with a more favourable veiw.

Reviewed 27 December 2013

I stayed here recently. We asked for a quiet room as the German market was on and the hotel faces directly towards it. The room we got was quite bizare. It was tiny. It actually looked like a room that had been divided down the middle as the window was in the corner. The view from the window was possibly the worst from any hotel I've ever stopped in. It was a dark grubby, horrible, well, not even a courtyard. The tv was old fashioned, and the room was generally depressing. We had breakfast which was quite nice buffet style. I think, deep down this hotel has bags of character but, but it really needs money spending on it to bring it up to date.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple