Britannia Hotel Birmingham
US$102
US$85
Hotels.com
  • Restaurant
ibis Styles Birmingham Centre(Birmingham)(Great Value!)
US$88
Travelocity
US$44
US$43
2,832 results
See what travellers are saying:
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 3 January 2014

This is by far the WORST hotel I have EVER stayed in either the UK or abroad!!! I would not give this hotel 2 stars let alone anything above that... This place is a hostel rather than a hotel, the whole experience was a nightmare!! I would highly recommend that you pay slightly more and go to the Radisson or MalMaison.

When we arrived at the hotel, we realised that the entrance is down an alleyway which would have been fine until we saw there were a group of men loitering outside who were not of the 'decent' kind. The two men at reception were not helpful at all, they did not assist with our luggage and nor did they even give us details of where the lifts where, we were given the room key and that was that!!! Having finally found the room, we realised that the telephone was not working, the sockets were all loose and defintely a health and safety hazard, there was no actual lighting apart from two lamps, the whole room was dated, dirty and beyond basic. The toilet was moldy and beyond basic again. There was make up from the previous guests on the hairdryer, the appliances were all from the early 1980s and had not been updated since. The electricity was not working and we had to go back to reception to ask for assistance as our telephone was not working and he relaised that the electrics had tripped and he had to deal with this via the mains. He said he couldn't do anything about the poor sockets and the telephone which was not working.

The room had clearly not been cleaned or prepared before our arrival. To be honest, I would have rather slept in the car than sleep in this damn hotel!!!

1  Thank RoyalLegalty
Birmbritannia, General Manager at Britannia Hotel Birmingham, responded to this reviewResponded 7 January 2014

Dear Guest

Please accept my apologies that the hotel failed to meet with your expectations

I will pass your comments onto the relevant departmental managers and I can assure you that improvements will be made where deemed necessary

Reviewed 2 January 2014

it start off trying too find the place is a night mare then my brother goes in to find out where to park and get given a address of a car park only by postcode so we parks up walks the 1.5miles back to the hotel check in to find your not aloud not 1 too help u with bag or to see you in to your room the staff are just a joke with manners we was spoken to like( what can I do for u ) as a first contact line then I goes up too the room well what a joke the toilet had never seen a brush then I check the bath still had the scum line what looked for the previous 3 people ewe then I looked at the hand towel to find it had blood streaks on it so I didn't not both too look at the bath towel as I bought my own thank god I when too use the cup to make my self a cuppa to find I had to wash it as it have been used or not wash up correctly then I noticed the floor looked like some1 had either broken their nose or some1 had cut them self red patches every where the wall are like ply board so you can hear everything and I mean everything people are doing the window don't even close and even if they do the sound profane of them are rubbish because the aint double glazed the whole time I was there was just a joke its manager want massive kick right up the bottom as for only the guest staying in the room ha ha ha not a chance 1 of the room at 1 point I was told was for 2 people had over 12 people in it if there was a fire in the hotel I would never have know what to do or go the whole hotel is just a joke I don't advise anyone to stay at all I did not see what the food service was like if the state of the bed rooms is bad I could reakon the food service in appalling

Room Tip: don't bother with this hotel at all it is a joke
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled with friends
Birmbritannia, General Manager at Britannia Hotel Birmingham, responded to this reviewResponded 3 January 2014

Dear Guest

Please accept my sincere apologies that the hotel did not meet with your expectations.

As I would advise any guest, should you experience any issues during your stay or wish to raise any concerns you feel should be brought to our attention, there is a Duty Manager available 24 hours per day who will gladly assist you in making your stay a much more comfortable and enjoyable one enabling you to leave the hotel with a more favourable view

The Hotel does not have a Car Park, but the postcde we issue to Guests (should they wish to use it ) is no more than a 5 minute walk away.

Reviewed 1 January 2014

New Years Eve in this hotel was £59 which wasn't highly priced for new year but with good reason.

After being checked in by a very abrupt man on reception and given no directions to our room at all we arrived.

The corridors are long and unattractive

The room was one of the poorest rooms I've been in this year for state of repair

The presence of a rubber antislip mat in the bath is something I haven't seen for years. The shower control had visibly been repaired as it had while silicone slapped all over it.
Shower worked and water was warm

In the room there was very little light
One bedside lamp
A table lamp with no bulb
A ceiling lamp at the door that didn't work
Reception when we plugged our room phone in didNt seem at all interested.
The TV is very old and had been damaged on the corner so it had been repaired with tape.
The coffee had no brand name at all

Finally the bedding mmm noticed flood in the morning on the quilt, checked everywhere I hadn't been bleeding so not sure how clean that was
The furniture also wherever it had a sill or ridge had visible embedded dirt as did many of the ledges in the staircases

All in all a dire place as its old and not even clean

Positive very central and near new street station

Reviewed 1 January 2014

The location is very good but when I came to that hotel reception looks like they doesn't looks like they wanna work in that hotel to be honest looks like someone push them to work there, it's not looks very good for the gest when I got my key card to the room I went to the lift area and the walls are so dirty floor as well phone is like from 1950 yr and I'm not gonna tell anything about the time when I was spend waiting for the lift (about10min) terrible next thing is when I open my room I check the toilet and bath it's so dirty and the mess was left after previous gest I could see that because in a bath was blue stain after blue shower gel whatever it was , and the sink was so terrible distroyed, ok so I want to the room and I have seen the bed but it's not a bed it's two big puffs joined together hmm rediceles and the best linien wasn't changed at all oh sorry only one pillow case was changed because I could smell perfume of the previous gest also I'm working in the hotel as well so I know when someone haven't change linien and the very bad smell of dump or something in all hotel , this hotel charged me 79pounds per night when I checked in and I sow my room in that condition I checked out stright away and the girl on reception just look at me like I said something new like she never seen that before and I went to the Diffrent much Better hotel also i wanna say i was in a diffrent hotels 3stars much Better than that hotel and higher standard also cheaper ! That hotel need full renovation ,very good location but very sad people doesnt care about this hotel at all (31.12.13)

Room Tip: U can get Better hotel in the same or cheaper price
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple

Dear Guest,

Please accept my apologies that the hotel failed to meet with your expectations at this time.

I will of course pass your comments onto the relevant department managers for improvements to be made where deemed necessary

Reviewed 30 December 2013

Was pretty desperate for a room. No sign posts to room numbers. Long weird hairs in the bath. Room is falling apart. Lift smells of excrement/care home. Single glazed so pretty noisy/cold. Lady at reception was fairly friendly/helpful!

• Stayed: December 2013