“Happily relieved!”

Ranked #109 of 117 Hotels in Birmingham
Cornwall, United Kingdom
“Happily relieved!”
Reviewed 5 January 2014

We bought a voucher from Groupon to stay here over night as it was cheaper than paying taxi fare home after watching a show at Birmingham ICC. It was only after I bought the voucher that I looked at the reviews on here and thought OMG what have I done! I must admit I was terrified of what our stay would be like after reading some comments and could only prey it wasn't that bad! In fact, it was the opposite, yes the building is dated and yes the rooms are small, but they were well equipped and spotlessley clean. The decore is a little dated, but is in keeping with the rest of the building and the ensuite was also spotless, with basic toiletries provided. There was clean towels and a hairdryer. Before going out we had a drink in the lovely bar and breakfast the following morning was delicious and plenty of it. All the staff we spoke to we're very pleasant and friendly. Overall, we enjoyed our stay and would recommend this hotel to anyone needing somewhere to stay smack in the middle of the town centre. It's not the Ritz, but is great value for money.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Anne H
Birmbritannia, General Manager at Britannia Hotel Birmingham, responded to this review, 7 January 2014
Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to write your review.

I am pleased to see that the hotel exceeded your expectations and we hope to welcome you again in the future

Regards

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (492)
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
  • Turkish first
Reviewed 5 January 2014 via mobile

Booked on line. Good price for New Years Eve, hotel generally what we expected for the money.
What we did not expect...was to be put into a smokers room. There was no option to choose non smoking and we were not told online or at check in that we had been put into a smoking room.
The smell in the room was terrible. The bed linen stank. We had to sleep with the window wide open to try to get some fresh air.
A horrible night. Will never stay at the Brittania again.

Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank jll62
Dear Guest

Please accept my sincere apologies that the hotel failed to met with your expectations.

Our Reception staff do pre allocate rooms (where possible) according to guest requests with regards to smoking or non smoking.

As I would advice any guest(s) there is a manager on duty 24 hours per day and had you approached them to inform them that you were unhappy with the room, they would have been able to assist you in offer an alternative room or arranging for the room freshened to enable you to have a more comfortable and enjoyable stay with us.

Regards

Travellers are raving about these Birmingham hotels

Reviewed 4 January 2014

we booked this hotel as it was in walking distance from alexandra theatre
it is a very smelly hotel and when you step out of lift on floor 1 (restaurant) strong smell of damp/mould
room very dated (old furniture) and very dirty.
window overlooking high street needs a very good clean/replacing lets lots of draught in
champange cork on floor behind curtain
wallpaper peeling on the walls cobwebs on ceiling skirting board all paint peeling
1 bath and hand towel in bathroom looked like someone had been sick in the sink
toilet did not flush properly
big old television which showed the same channel 4 times when lying on bed can not see telly
wind that came through window was making door rattle
there was one plug socket which had the lamp plugged in but also you had to use the same socket for kettle, hairdryer,straighners,phone chargers
breakfast looked ok had piece of toast and coffee due to the smell
i know you can not do nothing with what goes on outside but did not get hardly any sleep
lorries delivering, work on station, people shouting swearing even a man being chased with a knife if double glazed windows were fitted would make a huge difference and if rooms were brought up to date
have stayed in many hotels and this has to be the worst staff are not friendly at all it felt like i have booked you in thats it my job done i will go back on my mobile
we had to ask if breakfast was on served on the first floor

Room Tip: go to another hotel even if you have to pay a bit more money!
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple

Please accept my apologies that the hotel failed to meet with your expectations

I will pass your comments onto the relevant departmental managers and I can assure you that improvements will be made where deemed necessary

Reviewed 3 January 2014

i stayed a the hotel for one night it was easily accessible from new street station early for check in allowed to leave bags extra until check in time The hotel has character and age which add to its warm and friendly atmosphere the hotel was clean warm and welcoming the staff were polite courteous helpful and informative the breakfast was buffet style had many choices hot and cold and a big thank you the chef and the restaurant waiter who was from Lithuania who was very attentive to my need in the restaurant area as a disabled guest the facilities although dated were adequate for my needs a major over hall is needed for disabled people i.e. ramps wheelchair access extra a special thanks to mo on reception

Room Tip: this hotel is excellent value for money , and a brill location remember you see the price you c...
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled with friends
Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to write your review.

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 3 January 2014

This is by far the WORST hotel I have EVER stayed in either the UK or abroad!!! I would not give this hotel 2 stars let alone anything above that... This place is a hostel rather than a hotel, the whole experience was a nightmare!! I would highly recommend that you pay slightly more and go to the Radisson or MalMaison.

When we arrived at the hotel, we realised that the entrance is down an alleyway which would have been fine until we saw there were a group of men loitering outside who were not of the 'decent' kind. The two men at reception were not helpful at all, they did not assist with our luggage and nor did they even give us details of where the lifts where, we were given the room key and that was that!!! Having finally found the room, we realised that the telephone was not working, the sockets were all loose and defintely a health and safety hazard, there was no actual lighting apart from two lamps, the whole room was dated, dirty and beyond basic. The toilet was moldy and beyond basic again. There was make up from the previous guests on the hairdryer, the appliances were all from the early 1980s and had not been updated since. The electricity was not working and we had to go back to reception to ask for assistance as our telephone was not working and he relaised that the electrics had tripped and he had to deal with this via the mains. He said he couldn't do anything about the poor sockets and the telephone which was not working.

The room had clearly not been cleaned or prepared before our arrival. To be honest, I would have rather slept in the car than sleep in this damn hotel!!!

1 Thank RoyalLegalty

Please accept my apologies that the hotel failed to meet with your expectations

Ripon, United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 January 2014

it start off trying too find the place is a night mare then my brother goes in to find out where to park and get given a address of a car park only by postcode so we parks up walks the 1.5miles back to the hotel check in to find your not aloud not 1 too help u with bag or to see you in to your room the staff are just a joke with manners we was spoken to like( what can I do for u ) as a first contact line then I goes up too the room well what a joke the toilet had never seen a brush then I check the bath still had the scum line what looked for the previous 3 people ewe then I looked at the hand towel to find it had blood streaks on it so I didn't not both too look at the bath towel as I bought my own thank god I when too use the cup to make my self a cuppa to find I had to wash it as it have been used or not wash up correctly then I noticed the floor looked like some1 had either broken their nose or some1 had cut them self red patches every where the wall are like ply board so you can hear everything and I mean everything people are doing the window don't even close and even if they do the sound profane of them are rubbish because the aint double glazed the whole time I was there was just a joke its manager want massive kick right up the bottom as for only the guest staying in the room ha ha ha not a chance 1 of the room at 1 point I was told was for 2 people had over 12 people in it if there was a fire in the hotel I would never have know what to do or go the whole hotel is just a joke I don't advise anyone to stay at all I did not see what the food service was like if the state of the bed rooms is bad I could reakon the food service in appalling

Room Tip: don't bother with this hotel at all it is a joke
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled with friends
Birmbritannia, General Manager at Britannia Hotel Birmingham, responded to this review, 3 January 2014
Dear Guest

Please accept my sincere apologies that the hotel did not meet with your expectations.

As I would advise any guest, should you experience any issues during your stay or wish to raise any concerns you feel should be brought to our attention, there is a Duty Manager available 24 hours per day who will gladly assist you in making your stay a much more comfortable and enjoyable one enabling you to leave the hotel with a more favourable view

The Hotel does not have a Car Park, but the postcde we issue to Guests (should they wish to use it ) is no more than a 5 minute walk away.

Forest Town
Reviewed 1 January 2014

New Years Eve in this hotel was £59 which wasn't highly priced for new year but with good reason.

After being checked in by a very abrupt man on reception and given no directions to our room at all we arrived.

The corridors are long and unattractive

The room was one of the poorest rooms I've been in this year for state of repair

The presence of a rubber antislip mat in the bath is something I haven't seen for years. The shower control had visibly been repaired as it had while silicone slapped all over it.
Shower worked and water was warm

In the room there was very little light
One bedside lamp
A table lamp with no bulb
A ceiling lamp at the door that didn't work
Reception when we plugged our room phone in didNt seem at all interested.
The TV is very old and had been damaged on the corner so it had been repaired with tape.
The coffee had no brand name at all

Finally the bedding mmm noticed flood in the morning on the quilt, checked everywhere I hadn't been bleeding so not sure how clean that was
The furniture also wherever it had a sill or ridge had visible embedded dirt as did many of the ledges in the staircases

All in all a dire place as its old and not even clean

Positive very central and near new street station