“Fawlty Towers...”

Britannia Hotel Birmingham
Ranked #110 of 118 Hotels in Birmingham
Reviewed 31 January 2014

Booked this hotel as a last minute resort for a night out. Even though I was staying by myself I booked a double bedroom as I suspected I might get a *slightly* nicer room. Location is good, only 5 minutes walk from New Street station and very cheap.
Upon arrival the reception looks quite nice. Receptionist didn't really have any people skills at all. Taking the elevator to my fifth floor room, the corridors absolutely stunk. I have no idea what the smell was, perhaps mould but it was very peculiar. Decor extremely dated and it seemed like a maze to get to your room as the hall was small and twisty, dark and couldn't tell whether the rooms were for guests or store rooms.
Eventually finding my room I was actually pleasantly surprised, half expecting blood stained sheets and everything considering the reviews. The bedding was clean and the bathroom was okay so as I just wanted to use the room as somewhere to dump luggage and get a couple hours sleep, I was fine. My room didn't actually have a main light, had to use lamps and only one socket to charge things with.
To be honest I wouldn't dare use the shower or bathtub, a bath mat was draped over the tub which I daren't touch as it was encrusted with dirt and black stuff, disgusting. Why not just get rid of it? The toilet was clean enough and I was provided with fresh towels and toiletries.
Coming back here at 4am in the morning my key card wouldn't open my door so I got a bit panicky but thankfully someone was on reception. Didn't really feel safe.
Okay for somewhere to rest your head but would not stop more than one night. Don't even know how it passes health inspections.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled solo
2  Thank Chuckie100
Birmbritannia, General Manager at Britannia Hotel Birmingham, responded to this reviewResponded 4 February 2014

Dear Guest

I am sorry that certain aspects of the hotel failed to meet with your expectations at this time.

Staff are available and on duty 24 hours per day and had you made them aware that you were unhappy, they would have been able to address your concerns at the time.

I will of course pass your comments onto the relevant departmental managers for improvements to be made where deemed necessary

There are newer reviews for Britannia Hotel Birmingham

Reviewed 28 January 2014

Very good central location in Birmingham, a few hundred yards from New Street Station. Suited us as we were a group on a night out in Birmingham on a room only basis. Hotel decor left a lot to be desired. It was very dark on the corridors, as all the walls and doors were painted black. It was difficult to distinguish the guest rooms from the hotel store rooms as everything was painted black.

Me and my room-mate had an early morning wake up call from the couple next door. Very entertaining, but the walls must be made of cardboard.

The wash basin was cracked and there was a large stain in the bath from the dripping shower head.

Despite 'happy hour' in the bar, it cost me £3.30 for a pint of orange juice and lemonade (well, half a pint, as the glass was already half full of ice).

Room Tip: Find another hotel
1  Thank ReggieP590

Dear Guest

Please accept my apologies that the hotel did not meet with your expectations, I will pass your comments onto the relevant deprtmental managers for improvements to be made where deemed necessary.

Reviewed 27 January 2014

Such a horrid hotel - unsafe, filthy and unhelpful staff!
The carpet was covered in muck
Dirty Décor
People coming and going all night - groups of people hanging round on corridors, men coming and going with prostitutes.
Emailed the general manager - who quite frankly couldn't have been less interested if he had tried.
Think it is Time Britannia took note and sorted out their hotels - and their unhelpful staff!
Clearly their customer service and satisfaction does not come First!
Do not stay here =

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Mark S

Dear Guest,

I am sorry that the hotel failed to meet with your expectations at this time.

I disagree with your comments and Managers are available and on duty 24 hours per day and had you made them aware that you were unhappy with the Hotel, they would have been able to address your concerns first hand.

Reviewed 27 January 2014

I've never been in any building where the staff are so childish, imature and unproffesional. after realising that our bed's hadn't been changed from the people who had stayed in it before, the manager refused to help me out or do anything about it, also slamming a door in my face and calling me names even though i was being ever so polite.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank mugglesmigoo

Dear Guest

I cannot comment on your review as it doesnot ring true to me, we have no doors to slam in your face, our door is a revolving door, and under no circumstances would we expect a guest to stay in a used room.

Reviewed 27 January 2014

Booked in here for a weekend, at the rate of £60 for one night, but having seen some images from the hotel I thought the extra for would be for a nicer hotel. Boy was I wrong!
Upon being checked in the experience was horrible, the hotel itself felt like a prison with long dull corridors and black doors. Upon entering the room it was freezing and was not very clean. The bed itself was uncomfortable, and the bathroom was in need of some serious refurbishment.
Had a few friends round to the room before heading to town for shopping and just to enjoy the saturday, at which point the hotel manager (who was very unpleasant and intimidating) shouted at us that we would have to leave and we would not get a refund. I was then rushed out and threatened with having the police called if I did not leave immediately, not even being given a full chance to collect all my personal belongings.
At this point I had only been checked in for an hour, the whole experience was very daunting and has reminded me of why I usually book with large chain franchises such as Premier Inn.
I asked for a complaint form and the manager ignored me and walked off into the back room, the receptionist provided me with an email address, however in the chaos of being rushed out this was lost along with my phone charger and other belongings.
This has been an absolutely disgusting experience and there was no sign of the hotel staff even caring about their guests, once they have your money they don't care any more. I feel robbed for having paid £60 and then being forcibly removed less than an hour later!
Avoid this hotel like the plague, judging from the reviews on here I should've checked here sooner and avoided this vile experience!

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled with friends
Birmbritannia, General Manager at Britannia Hotel Birmingham, responded to this reviewResponded 28 January 2014

On viewing the CCTV of this incident, I have never witnessed such intimidating behaviour to a female manager in all my years at the hotel. I am shocked a group of 11 people (8 of which were not registered guests found in the bedroom) should display such behaviour. The only thing that was left behind was damage the room and the smashed glass in the corridor amd the spit as your group were leaving and hurling abuse at the staff

Reviewed 24 January 2014

Had a night there the room was very dirty there was light bulbs hanging out the bathroom celling , then when we got back late at night there heating system in the wall was banging away till five in the morning the staff didn't want to know about it going off , was not told that there was no car park for the hotel on which we had to park in a N C P for the night yes they paid for some off the charge but still had to pay 10 pound to get out the carpark , when we went for breakfast the next morning we found the food to be very dry & half off it was cold ,when we handed the keys over we made a complaint but the staff & manager was not instrested & just gave us a email address . I WILL NOT BE GOING THERE AGAIN & WILL NOT AVISE ANYONE TO STAY At THIS PLACE

Room Tip: Do not bother with this place
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Craig A

Dear Guest,

Please accept my apologies that the hotel failed to meet with your expectations at this time.

I will of course pass your comments onto the relevant department managers for improvements to be made where deemed necessary

Reviewed 21 January 2014

We booked this hotel as we were attending a show at the NEC and wanted somewhere convenient to the city and train station. Full marks on both. We had dinner and breakfast at the hotel and both were very enjoyable. All the staff were very helpful especially, Geoff one of the chefs and Kelly at the bar. Thanks for making us so welcome. The rooms were clean and bed comfortable. All you need after trekking round the NEC for 9 hours!!! When we are in Birmingham again I will back to the Britannia.

Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to write your review, which will be shared with the rest of the Staff.

I am so pleased that you took the opportunity to sample first hand the perfect location, and exceptional value for money we at Britannia Hotel Birmingham offer, and were not put off by some of the negative reviews posted here.

We look forward to welcoming you back in the future