“Cheap and not very cheerful”

Britannia Hotel Birmingham
Ranked #110 of 118 Hotels in Birmingham
Reviewed 16 March 2014

The hotel is a grand old tourist style hotel from another era. The rooms were tired to the point of exhaustion - holes in bed linen, old CRT television, no remote, one single socket free for personal use. Staff are brusque but not unhelpful, breakfast was pleasant if chaotic. I was on the third floor and woken at 6am by the bin lorries crashing away below. With breakfast it was £85 which I think is too much (but a lot depends on demand in Birmingham with conferences and trade shows); it had the feeling of a contractors no frills hotels that would have been ok as a basic bed for the night at half this amount. Undeniably central though. Parking not near but available at a discount through the hotel.

Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business
Birmbritannia, General Manager at Britannia Hotel Birmingham, responded to this reviewResponded 18 March 2014

Dear Guest

I am sorry that certain aspects of the hotel failed to meet with your expectations at this time, and I appriciate your constuctive comments.

I will of course pass them onto the relevant departmental managers for improvements to be made where deemed necessary.

Reviewed 13 March 2014

First room was dirty - toilet unspeakable so asked to be moved. Carpet in corridors hadn't been hoovered. Moved to another room which was better but still needed a good clean and hoover. In the morning only 1 set of towels for 3 beds and the shower flooded the bathroom floor. Spoke to the Manager who apologies for the first room - told me other towels were in the wardrobe! Stupid me didn't think to look in there. Got 10% discount for the problems. Would never stay here again and would advise others to look elsewhere. Tired hotel with very poor housekeeping.

Room Tip: Don't bother
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family

Dear Guest

Please accept my sincere apologies that the hotel did not meet with your expectations at this time.

Your comments have already been passed onto The Housekeeper, and I can assure you that improvements will be made where deemed necessary.

Reviewed 12 March 2014

Lobby is only thing that's good about this hotel. Luckily I stayed here as part of a deal. I would have been disappointed if I paid the full price. The carpets were worn, the room was smaller than described and the halls were poorly kept. The decoration looked like it had been left up for decades and neglected. The bed was a double made up with two poorly fitting single mattresses. No view from window, tv was poor quality.

Will not be going again.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
Birmbritannia, General Manager at Britannia Hotel Birmingham, responded to this reviewResponded 13 March 2014

Dear Guest

I am sorry that the Hotel failed to meet some of your expectations at this time, and wish that you had brought this to our attention during your stay, as it would have given us the opportunity to address your concerns first hand, and allowed you to leave the Hotel with a more favourable outlook.

The hotel accommodates 2000+ guests on a weekly basis and I believe that we offer excellent value for money.

Reviewed 12 March 2014

Stayed one night: March 2014
plusses: early check in, clean bedding and towels, hot water, room warm, staff pleasant, near train station.
minuses: very tired and scruffy looking, room had a smell (we had tp leave the window open while we were out) every noise could be heard outside and in, only one light worked, had to hold the kettle in place for it to work, carpets thread bare, wallpaper peeling, paintwork and fruniture chipped.
There was an offer on dinner and breakfast, anyone taking that offer up after seeing the state of the building should get both for free.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank PartonLass

Dear Guest

Please accept my sincere apologies that the hotel failed to meet with your expectations at this time.

I can assure you that the issues you have raised will be addressed and improvments will be made where deemed possible.

Reviewed 11 March 2014 via mobile

First impression with the gentleman at reception was unfriendly and certainly not welcoming. I even had to ask if there was a lift considering I was on the 9th floor. Every hotel I have been to automatically informs you how to get to you room. The first room I was given had not been made up. There was takeaway papers everywhere and dirty towels in the bathroom so I had to make my way back down to ground floor after waiting sometime for the lift. I did get another room as soon as I informed reception along with not so sincere apology. The next room wad very tired with stained carpets and chair. The furniture was not great and the tv was a small portable. I would not recommend this hotel and would not return. The only thing going for it is the location however there are budget hotels within 100 meters which I am sure would outshine this one.

Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Nicola M

Dear Guest

Your comments have been passed onto the relevent department managers and company standards have been reiterated to Staff.

Reviewed 11 March 2014

Booked this hotel for a weekend over March for a catch up with friends, having read a lot of the reviews I decided to spend extra on booking an Executive room - £75.00 per night Room Only, so not cheapest of Hotels!

On Arrival Reception service can only be described as average, no information given to me, simple things like breakfast times, wifi code, restaurant hours etc - all of which I give to my guests when they stay at my own hotel, but to be fair, there were a lot of arrivals & only 1 receptionist to deal with it, a young girl too. My room was on floor 9 (top - which I requested so that was good)

Upon entering the room it is obvious that the hotel was once grand, Art Deco Styled Furniture and floor to ceiling picture windows with a great view over the city, Bed was comfortable, bathroom was of an acceptable standard. The room had Air conditioning too which was good given the fact that whenever you have large windows and sunshine it can make a room very hot!

That night I ordered room service which was reasonably fast. The young polish girl that delivered it was very cheerful and the portion size was fantastic! £5.95 for Beefburger & Chips - Massive portion! Burger roll sadly was rock hard. Checkout next morning can only be described as chaotic! I've never once been to a hotel where 1 person is left to deal with pretty much an entire hotel to check out! I have only 57 bedrooms yet thats a challenge for 1 person!

However overall this hotel is not as bad as some say, if you are going to book I would recommend paying the extra as my friends room (a standard was not nearly as well appointed as mine)

Room Tip: Book an Executive room on top floor!
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends

Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to write your review, which will be shared with the rest of the Staff.

I am so pleased that you took the opportunity to sample first hand the perfect location, and exceptional value for money we at Britannia Hotel Birmingham offer, and were not put off by some of the negative reviews posted here.

We look forward to welcoming you back in the future

Reviewed 11 March 2014

Firstly when i booked this hotel i requested an early check in since our flight was arriving in Birmingham at 2 o clock in the morning. I got an email confirming the early check in and stating that extra charges should apply. As i was never asked to confirm IF i accept the extra charges i supposed that it was ok even with the extra charges although the room was booked for that day..We arrived in the hotel after 5 hours of flight and tired and the reception guy told us that he cannot give us a room since the hotel was "full" and that it was not the hotel's responsibility the misunderstanding but the website's (booking.com). we explained to him that it was 3 o' clock and that we had nowhere to stay and he just didn't care. So we had to stay IN THE ROAD until 11 o'clock that we could check in!!!!!!After the check in, the hotel room was very dirty, the room was very old, the cleaning ladies they didn't clean the room only sometimes they change towels, we were asking everyday for someone to clean it and to put toilet paper, the room was dusty, the mugs for the nescafe they were used from before we asked the reception for clean ones and during the next days what the cleaning ladies were doing was to just "clean" them under the sink with little water (the lipstick for example was still on the mug). The bathroom was very dirty, hair from different parts of the body all over, and honestly we were thinking it twice on having bath in there. Moreover it was a dog friendly hotel (which was not mentioned somewhere) and one of the person in our company was allergic to the dog hair... For sure i would never ever recommend this hotel TO ANYONE!!!

Room Tip: Just do not choose this hotel!!!!
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends

Dear Guest

Check in time is at 2pm on the day of arrival, and check out time is at 11am, unfortunatly the hotel was full on the night of your arrival and we can only provide early check in if rooms are available.

Your comments will be passed onto the relevant departmental managers for improvements to be made where deemed necessary.