“Horrible!!”

Britannia Hotel Birmingham
Ranked #109 of 118 Hotels in Birmingham
Reviewed 8 April 2014

Do not stay here. I checked in today after booking with late rooms the guy at reception was rude to no end so was his colleague. It's not worth what I paid. Hotel very dated and the room is freezing, carpet is ripped, marks in the bath and cracks, pictures are freaky.. Considering leaving this dump.. Will never return!!

• Stayed: April 2014
Aruna P, General Manager at Britannia Hotel Birmingham, responded to this reviewResponded 11 April 2014

Dear Guest

Please accept my sincere apologies that the hotel failed to meet with your expectations

As I would advise any guest, should you experience any issues during your stay or wish to raise any concerns you feel should be brought to our attention, there is a Duty Manager available 24 hours per day who will gladly assist you in making your stay a much more comfortable and enjoyable one enabling you to leave the hotel with a more favourable view.

Regards

Write a ReviewReviews (2,784)

Reviewed 6 April 2014 via mobile

Company booked me into this hotel as usual one booked up.

I didn't stay and travelled 160mile round trip because it was nothing short of disgusting!

It was like something from the twilight zone! Yellow marks on my sheets, no mattress protector or pillow protectors. Valance didn't touch the floor, marks on the walls, mould round the windows and bathroom.

Looked so unsafe and eerie. Vile.

Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business

Dear Guest

Please accept my apologies that the hotel failed to meet with your expectations at this time,

I do wish that you had brought this to our attention at the time, as it would have given us the opportunity to address your concerns first hand, allowing you to leave the Hotel with a more favourable outlook.

Your comments will be passed onto the relevant departmental managers for improvements to be made where deemed necessary

Reviewed 6 April 2014

Having stayed in several hotels in the area this is a very poor comparison. Very dated, thread bare carpets, room cleanliness was only just passable didn't heck mattress as didn't really want to make my stay any worse. Pictures that frankly are scary on the walls, only two plug sockets and one of those by door so we didn't find until last day. No wifi in room TV reception poor, noise from outside kept me awake. Got locked out room as door malfunctioned took several trips to reception to sort. Never again

Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business
Birmbritannia, General Manager at Britannia Hotel Birmingham, responded to this reviewResponded 11 April 2014

Dear Guest,

I am sorry that the hotel failed to meet with your expectations at this time.

Staff are available and on duty 24 hours per day, and had you made them aware that you were unhappy with the accommodation provided, they would have been able to address your concerns first hand, allowing you to leave with a much more favourable view.

Reviewed 3 April 2014

If you are looking for a hotel in city centre with good price, this is a good option however if you are looking for a nice hotel, forget it.The location and price was excellent however normally you can use the internet in your room and you should use it in lobby.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple

Dear Guest

I am sorry that certain aspects of the Hotel failed to meet your expectations at this time,

I thank you for your kind comments with regards to our excellent location and superb value for money.

Reviewed 2 April 2014

We booked the hotel for 31 March. Our check in time was 2 o'clock but we reached there at 1 o'clock. Chinese look receptionist came and told that she cant allowed us before 2 o'clock without hi-hello..Her attitude, seemed we are 'burden'...1st April, during our check out, An indian look young guy told us we have leave the room by 11 o'clock unless we have to pay £10 per hour. We requested him to stay 15 minutes more but he refused it rudely. Cant imagine to go there again. Really tremendous, horrible......

Room Tip: Staff's behavior tremendous...
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank A H khan k

Dear Guest,

I am sorry that the hotel failed to meet with your expectations at this time.

I disagree with your comments about the Staff, we do try and meet all Guests requests, however sometimes this isnt possible due to circumstances out of our control.

Reviewed 31 March 2014

Its location was good. I needed a hotel close to the railway station as I was arriving in the UK from Greece and I knew I would be tired. The room was clean and there was a bath in the bathroom.

But ... My room was on floor 2 - but the lift I was told to use did not stop at floor 2! I had to go up to floor 3 and walk down. There was no air conditioning in the bedroom - just a very large window that opened onto New Street. A generator on a building opposite was working all night long. Then the refuse trucks empty the bins at a very early hour in the morning. It was so hot that I HAD to have the window open - I felt like jumping through it by the time morning came as I had had very little sleep. The woodwork in the bedroom was in dire need of repainting as it was badly chipped. I thought I would have a nice breakfast before leaving for a business appointment - but then I saw the price of the breakfast was in excess of £10. I decided that, if the breakfast was anything like the standard of the bedroom, then that would be more money down the drain. I did not bother with breakfast and checked out.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled on business
Birmbritannia, General Manager at Britannia Hotel Birmingham, responded to this reviewResponded 1 April 2014

Please accept my apologies that the hotel did not meet with your expectations

I can assure you that the issues you have raised will be addressed and improvments will be made where deemed possible.

A Breakfast Voucher can be purchased at Reception, for the fantasic value for money offer of £6.00, this offer is advertised all over the Hotel.

Reviewed 30 March 2014

I always try to give a fair assessment of hotels we have stayed in. We arrived at the hotel having booked through late rooms.com, we had proof that our rooms had been booked and paid for, but the receptionist insisted that we had not paid, and asked if we could prove that we had paid, by showing him our credit card statement (how many people carry there statements on them) the only way he would check us in was for us to give our credit card detail's again, which we were left with no option but to do. Later that night the manager agreed that we had paid. I found the whole experience very stressful. There were also other guests that with the same issue.

The point is the receptionist was at best very in considerate, and rude.
The hotel is very dated not very clean, and certainly not worth what they are charging, i would advise anybody to pay the extra, and stay at one of the popular hotels. All in all we went to stay at the hotel, in order to see a concert in Birmingham, but the whole evening was spoiled by the rudeness of the receptionist.
I will say that the breakfast was good value and enjoyable.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends
Aruna P, General Manager at Britannia Hotel Birmingham, responded to this reviewResponded 1 April 2014

Please accept my apologies that the hotel did not meet with your expectations

Your comments will be passed onto the relevant departmental managers for improvements/re- training to be made where deemed necessary