“Avoid like the pague”

Britannia Hotel Birmingham
Ranked #110 of 118 Hotels in Birmingham
Reviewed 5 May 2014

Checked in having reserved what I thought was a smoking room to be told they had all been taken, customer service is a new concept here, he explained that even though I had a prepaid reservation with this request they were on a first come first serve bases, wonderful idea of booking something that.
Worst hotel I've ever stayed at, single bed, hard mattress and a postage stamp for a pillow, if you need to use a laptop and charge a phone at the same time forget it, AC sockets are minimal. Last time I saw a tv like this was in the 90's. Needs gutting and refit to fit in with this century, it will be jumping one if this is done. If you are of a certain age, and from the UK you will expect Benny to pop up from somewhere at any minute. This might be a trivial thing, however I have never seen a carpeted floor in a lift before.

I was given a room, it over looked a closed off court like area, so if you needed your window open then you were at the mercy of whomever was drunk at 2AM, arguments and all.

This hotel is stuck in a time hole, well at least its one of those words, and time isn't one of them.

If I found a hotel run by Messer Bates and Mother, I would consider it before this one again.

If they offer you money to stay here, then ask for more and still think long and hard about it.

Stay at your own risk.

Room Tip: Rooms in another hotel.
3  Thank Mark B
Birmbritannia, General Manager at Britannia Hotel Birmingham, responded to this reviewResponded 6 May 2014

Please accept my apologies that the hotel did not meet with your expectations

As I would advise any guest, there is a manager on duty 24 hours per day and had you made them aware that you were not happy with the room, they would have been able to offer an alternative room to enable you to have a more comfortable and enjoyable stay

Reviewed 5 May 2014

Me and my partner stayed here as we were on a night out in Birmingham and it was cheap. I should have known better. We have stayed in a lot of hotels but this is DISGUSTING!!! Firstly parking is miles away in the NCP, very much a hassle if your carrying bags around etc. this needs looking into desperately. When we arrived we were greeted by a man on reception who didn't even smile or say hello. Come on this is basic customer service!! Gave us our key didn't bother showing us where the lift was, if there was wifi or anything like that.
Corridors are grim. Dirty and dark makes it feel very much like a prison if I ever imagined one! It smelt dusty and like it needed a good bloody clean. Very very outdated. Got to the room to find only ONE plug socket that my phone charger would go in. Where on earth has circle 3 pin plug holes nowadays!? And as for the TV it was something from the 1900's. Luckily my partner wasn't too bothered about charging his phone etc which was fine but if there was a group of girls getting ready with one plug hole. What a joke this place is. Walking back from the bars at midnight down the dingy alleyways wasn't fun whatsoever. Saw a homeless man sleeping just outside the hotel!!! It's located in a alleyway next to bloody primark!! Woken up at 3/4am by a woman having loud sex and then waking up all the time because it was so bloody cold! Bathroom was dirty. Floors dirty the only good thing was the power shower!! I think jumping out the window would have been better! AVOID THIS HELLHOLE!!!!!!

• Stayed: May 2014
3  Thank HollyRach

Please accept my apologies that the hotel did not meet with your expectations

Due to the hotel being located within a pedestrian area, the car park which we recommend is the closest and most convenient.

I am sorry if you felt that the customer service provided at the time of your arrival was below standard and I can assure you that your comments will be passed onto the department manager for improvements to be made

The area immediately outside of the hotel is a public highway and therefore the hotel cannot be held accountable for people/persons that use it. If at any time any persons do cause any concern to the hotel, the appropriate action is taken to have them removed

Reviewed 5 May 2014

Hotel bedroom window needed a good clean and bathroom needs urgently updating! Tap runs constantly, wasting water! Toilet flush broken, needed to use force to flush!!!! Had a twin room with a double and a single, so plenty of room. Tea and coffee and toiletries provided, so that's a plus. Ancient TV, but didn't bother us! Bedding was clean. Overlooked a dark, unaccessible space and due to be he hotel being several floors high made room dark but as only stayed for a night was fine. Found a cheap deal so OK, would not have paid more. Very close to New Street Station.

Room Tip: Would NOT recommend 404!
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends

Dear Guest

I am pleased to see that the hotel met with your expectations for the purpose f your trip and we hope to welcome you again in the future

Regards

Reviewed 5 May 2014

The worst experience ever. Waited at reception for 10 minutes before anyone came. Staff at reception has no customer service, give us wrong room, then wrong keys. He did not care and did not inform us of any information at all, clearly wasn't bothered and didn't want to work.

Lift was broken for more than 4 hours and after we informed the staff, nothing was done, no signage to indicate it was broken and it was not blocked off. health and safety problem.

We was treated like dogs at this hotel, after we came back to the hotel with a guess, me and my friends were aggressively acted by one of the staff, who made it clear he did not like black people. He did not give us a chance and called the police for no reason at all. The hotel throw out 2 young women very late at night just because we brought a guess and we did not know we was not allow, we didn't even get the chance to get rid of our guess.

horrible racist hotel. we were not refunded and was thrown out on the street.no customer service and no health and safety at this hotel. will never visit this hotel again. Disgusting.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
3  Thank Sakara A

Dear Guest

Having spoken with all the staff members whom you are referring to and having viewed the hotel CCTV of the Reception area, I feel that the content of your review is totally unjustified and is certainly not an accurate version of the events that occurred.

I can assure you that the staff would not have called the police without it being fully necessary and it was only by the police call operator having heard for themselves over the phone the abusive and violent way in which you and your friend were confronting the staff that they took the decision themselves to prioritise the call as an emergency/fast response

Reviewed 3 May 2014

Where to start? On arrival I was impressed by the decor and scent of the reception area; the staff seemed friendly. I stepped into the lift and awaited the arrival at my floor. As the doors opened I was hit around the face by the scent of fish which was desperately trying to hide the smell of fresh paint. As I walked down the corridor towards my room I was greeted by what could only be described as a large blood drip. I entered my room and thought it was a nice size. I sat down on my "double" bed to discover it was two singles pushed together. If I'd wanted two singles pushed together I would have booked a twin room and pushed the beds together myself. On entering the bathroom I wasn't overwhelmed nor under; The bath was only suitable for a small child. The main problem I had was the fact that I live in the 21st century and needed wifi to do some work. The only place that had wifi was the bar. So off I trekked in search of the bar. In one corner was a tv showing a football match and therefore rather noisy to the other side (the bar end) there were no low level seating just bar stools and a high table; £8 something for a double vodka, lime and lemonade. I feel this is a con as how can you go to a bar to use the wifi and not buy a drink? I could have gone with a single but by that point a double was very much needed. Sleep.......well I slept rather well on one of the single beds. Breakfast the next morning was an interesting affair so was searching for a plate that didn't have other people's left behind breakfast still attached. Fruit consisted of grapefruit or tinned peaches and the cereal would have been more at home in my children's bowl. To be fair the cooked breakfast wasn't too bad but a small note to the chef, I think it's time your fryer had a clean and the oil replaced; the hash browns only tasted of old oil.

On the plus side, it is central and close to the train station.

1  Thank Smalltowngirl79

Reviewed 3 May 2014

i booked this hotel because something was on at the NEC and most hotels were fully booked and i was arriving late at night and only needed a bed.
On trying to find the hotel, it was up an alley and was accosted by beggers looking for money. On checking in it was a crew of construction workers complete with hard hats that were in front. Checki was ok but at 11-01 the bar was closed so no drinks, and no way was i venturing out. My single room had 3 old beds and 50s furniture and thread bear carpets- TV was poorly tuned so no sitting up watching.
OK so whats good- i slept like a log and the hotel was quite and still, breakfast was surprisingly good, thick bacon, good sausages - all self service as no staff were around.

If i had to have a crash pad for a night ( £50 B&B) and on my own i might go back- but if my wife had been with me we would have walked.

1  Thank john c

Please accept my apologies that the hotel did not meet with your expectations

I will of course pass your comments regarding the breakfast onto the relevant staff who I'm sure will be delighted with your feedback

Reviewed 1 May 2014

I stayed in this hotel for 2 nights and I was happy with it. The location can't be any better, 2 min from New street station, 1 min. from shopping centre. Everything is around it. The hotel is old or looks old but for the price I paid I wasn't excepted more.Actually I liked it. The room was clean,had hot water, bath tub, clean towels etc. The little downside is the tv and the tv channels, looks like they still receiving analog broadcasting but I don't know how. I thought everything is digital these days. Need to invest a bit and it will be perfect.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business

Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to write your review, which will be shared with the rest of the Staff.

I am so pleased that you took the opportunity to sample first hand the perfect location, and exceptional value for money we at Britannia Hotel Birmingham offer, and were not put off by some of the negative reviews posted here.

We look forward to welcoming you back in the future

Regards