“Shame as this hotel is completely central!”

Britannia Hotel Birmingham
Ranked #109 of 118 Hotels in Birmingham
Reviewed 6 June 2014

Booked this hotel after arranging to visit some friends who live in Birmingham. I booked a twin room on a room only basis.

I used the postcode for the hotel but my sat-nav just took me round in circles as the centre is all one way and pedestrianised. I rang through to the hotel who advised me of a local car park postcode to where I could also park my car - found this no problem.

After parking in the car park we set off walking to find the hotel whilst carting our bags around the city centre. The hotel was about 10 mins walk away from the car park and wasn't too hard to find.

Arriving at the hotel I felt it was very dated although this wasn't a problem as it just wasn't my personal taste. We were given a room key and told were to find our room.

The room was a complete dump. The brown bed skirt was stained with bleach and didn't watch the bedding, only one lamp worked in the room and this was a dull light. The room was dirty. The bathroom smelt unclean however, didn't seem dirty. We tried to put the television on for some background noise and there was hardly any signal for the 4 channels on offer. Anyway we both had a shower, got dressed in the bathroom as this was the only decent light and went out for a drink and meal. When we come back to the room to drop a few things off all we could here was shouting and music. We looked out of the window and the room a few floors up and opposite was having a party. There were several people hanging out of the window and shouting at another room with people also having a party. As we weren't sleeping at this point we weren't really bothered.

We then went back out and enjoyed out night. On returning to the room for a second time the parties were still in full swing and we ended up having to try and sleep through the loud music, shouting and banging of full industrial rolls of toilet paper being thrown at people's windows from the party.

Even though we only paid £60 to stay at this hotel I felt that it was unclean, dated and needed some tender loving care from its owners. I won't recommend this hotel but if I visit in the future I will remember to sake my dj lights so we can at least join in.

To top the whole stay off we returned back to the car the following day to find we had to pay £25 to park over night even though a huge sign advertised £4 at weekends. Obviously this isn't down to the hotel but still!!

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
Birmbritannia, General Manager at Britannia Hotel Birmingham, responded to this reviewResponded 9 June 2014

Please accept my apologies that the hotel did not meet with your expectations

I have passed your comments onto the relevant departmental managers for improvements to be made where deemed necessary

It is extremely difficult to pre judge the behaviour of guests when they check into the hotel, I only wish we could as I can assure you that we would never knowingly allow such activity to take place, we are a very busy city centre hotel and guests do pass through the hotel at all times of the day and night and unfortunately said guests do not always have consideration for other guests when it comes to slamming doors and keeping noise to a minimum, and despite several requests from the Staff I'm afraid that this fell on deaf ears. The correct procedures are in place for the protection of Staff and Guests in instances like this, and these were followed to the latter.

Regards

Write a ReviewReviews (2,786)

Reviewed 2 June 2014

This was the worst hotel I have ever stayed at. The room was small, dirty and noisy. The bed linen was clean but smelt of previous occupants on the pillows and duvet. The carpet was very stained, there was a cigarette butt on the floor despite it being no smoking. The TV was very old so there were no additional programmes. The worst aspect was the noise from the rooms either side and from the street. The walls are paper thin and our neighbours were having a party until the early hours. There is no double glazing so even with the windows closed, it is very noisy - even at 4.00 am when the street cleaners commence. This hotel is desparately in need of refurbishment. I have now cancelled my visit to the Britannia in Liverpool based on this horrbile experience

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Val G

Reviewed 1 June 2014

Nice hotel, not 4/5 star but doesn't pretend to be. Reception staff are probably some of the nicest I've met, nothing too much trouble. Room was clean and tidy, everything you need as a base for a night out and will certainly stay again.

• Stayed: May 2014

Dear Guest

I am pleased to see that the hotel met with your expectations for the purpose of your trip and hope to welcome you again in the future

Reviewed 1 June 2014 via mobile

This hotel really isn't as bad as the scoring may suggest. I must admit I was not looking forward to setting foot in the Britannia let alone sleeping. It is dated, but it kinda added to the charm off the place, the rooms are little worn, but it is more than acceptable and was relatively comfortable and clean. Staff were friendly. Its location is ideal for shoppers and evening party goers, with the latter in mind, do expect the likelihood off some revellers returning from a night out a little loud. Par for the course. I would recommend this hotel for people on a budget, and out to experience the night life of Birmingham. I would stay here again.

Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends

Reviewed 28 May 2014

Stayed her over pride weekend for two nights.
The night before we travelled my partner phoned reception to see if we could store bags before check in (they agreed that they would try there best to do this)..
On arrival we were early so asked the receptionist could we store bags but she told us our room was available
(this was at 10am)
Once we went into the room I was shocked to find a large room for 4 people.. With a double bed and two single beds.. (2 more beds than expected)
Checked the bedding and bathroom to make sure it was all clean due to some really bad reviews on her.. To find the bedding was clean and the bathroom was spotless..
Reading reviews before we went we took a plug extension lead so that we could have our hair straightners plugged in aswell as our phone chargers..
There was a hairdryer in the room and an outdated tv with 5 channels (but this didnt bother us because we didnt spend a lot of time in the room)
We didnt use wifi because we have internet on our phone and 3g was a very strong signal..
If you are a light sleeper you will need earplugs to get a good sleep.. Im no light sleeper but I was woken a few times due to a door slamming on the landing and early deliveries to shops close by (which we expected)
All in all the hotel could do with a good deep clean and an update but we enjoyed our stay and couldnt fault
the location..

• Stayed: May 2014

Reviewed 28 May 2014

A most central hotel, which is ok for a couple of nights, but no more! Curtains were stained and need to be replaced. Britannia needs to have a little pride in what it offers its clients. And my room was not a cheapie, probably because it was bank holiday weekend. Restaurant good value-for-money.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com

Reviewed 26 May 2014

The hotel has a great location and a good price, but the advantages end there.
When I entered the room, the curtain railing was loose, the hot water tap was open (and broken, not closed), one of the two beds, was leaning against the wardrobe, which made it impossible to use and worse, clothes bed smelled used.
Also the floor was just played by the cleaning staff. Photographed a tray with food debris that was in the hallway for almost a day. Not to mention that late at night you could hear the maids carts passing through the hallway with doors slamming, making the night a nightmare.
Do not display this hotel nor an enemy.

Room Tip: Choose another hotel.