“Avoid”

Ranked #110 of 118 Hotels in Birmingham
Reading, United Kingdom
“Avoid”
Reviewed 14 June 2014

Stayed in Birmingham for 1 night and I would never stay there again! Reception staff were rude and unfriendly, a smile doesn't cost anything. Once we finally found our room in the labyrinth of narrow dark corridors we discovered our room was filthy, the bed sheets were a mess, dust and dirt all over the furniture and the bathroom had a foul odour. However these can all be rectified with a bit of TLC from the hotels part. What I found unforgivable was the fact we only had about 1 hours sleep maximum. All through the night we were kept up by loud people in the corridor and even louder people outside on the street screaming and shouting all night.
I understand that you pay a minimum for the room but you can see and hear why.. Avoid at all costs

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank Luke Z
Birmbritannia, General Manager at Britannia Hotel Birmingham, responded to this review, 8 July 2014

Please accept my apologies that the hotel did not meet with your expectations

If you had made your dis satisfaction known to the staff at the time of your stay, they would have been able to assist you in making your stay a much more comfortable and enjoyable one

Regards

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (487)
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
  • Turkish first
Reviewed 14 June 2014

I stayed here for one night recently and to stay in the city centre for £40 cant really complain. but I think in the future I will pay a few extra quid to try some were new.

you arrive at the hotel and their wasn't any one on reception to assist and greet you straight away.

soon as you check in and are given your key. you get into the lift which smells old I think the carpet in their is the reason for this. ATLEAST 20 years old. they could replace it for about £10. (first impressions) before you even get to the room this hole place needs to be refurbished smells like a grannies flat.

the room was clean but very basic. no view from the window. the tv was 30 years old ( didn't een have free view ? )

Room Tip: spend a few extra £'s plenty of more modern hotels locally.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank holibob_spy8

Regards

Travellers are raving about these Birmingham hotels

Reviewed 13 June 2014 via mobile

I never write reviews but i felt i have to
One night was enough in this hotel if i wasnt checking in very late I would of gone somewhere else.the room was dated which is fine but there is no reason for it to be dirty with food stained walls and dubious stains on the furniture. The window was so dirty you couldnt see out of it.
I felt dirtier get out the shower then when I got in.
I know the hotel is cheap but you couldnt pay me to stay here again

Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank gillian w

Leicester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 13 June 2014

One of the worst Britania Hotels in Birmingham I have stayed in. The staff Philip and the Manager Jason were very very rude and they need to be retrained themselves on how to speak to their customers. They need to know their wages comes out from their customers pocket. We complained about the noise coming from the road outside our room 509 and the reception desk together with the Manager Philip and Jason both ignored and the Manager said if you not happy then you can check out as we cant do anything, We did check out and lost £86, nothing was refunded. The bathroom was filthy, We asked politely if someone can clean it and no one came so we checked out at 7pm. I will be writing about this particular hotel to Watchog providing all the photo's and the noise recorded from the room 509 together with voice recording of Philips and Jasons rudeness. I will be posting some photo's up in here later on.

There is Royal Court Britania in Coventry is a 3* and its decent as it says on its website also Britania Bosworth Hall Hotel is much better. Staff at Bosworth Hall are very very polite, friendly and were very helpful. The are is nice and food was great. I wouldnt advice anyone to stay in Britania Birmingham. Tavelodge, Premier Inn and Novatel is near by so stay there. They cheaper and much better. Food is cheap and better in the city outside Britania hotel and wine is cheap outside where'as Britania charges £12 for a bottle of cheap Rose which is £3.99 in supermarket.

Room Tip: If you looking for a good bed with a clean bathroom then dont even think of Britania Birmingham. go...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Aruna2511

Please accept my apologies that the hotel did not meet with your expectations

The hotel cannot be held responsible for any noise generated outside of the hotel as this is a public highway, as we did not have any other accommodation available away from the main street at this time, the offer of a refund was made if you decided to check out.

Your comments regarding the bathroom was passed onto The Housekeeping Manager following your stay and the appropriate action taken

Guingamp, France
Reviewed 13 June 2014

Previous reviews about this hotel vary, however I found that the staff were friendly and helpful.

I remember this hotel 30 years ago when it was one of only a few in Birmingham and at the hub of business. It clearly hasn't been refurbished since then and it shows!

BUT it was clean and comfortable for a one night stay. I was only looking for a bed for the night, paid £31 so what more would I have expected for a city stay in the middle of the week. Do I pay over the odds for plush or take the practical view that my only waking hours would be getting changed to go out when I arrived and getting sorted in the morning before the off.

I took the latter and was quite happy!

Room Tip: Ask for a quiet room
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank Lynsey58
Dear Guest

I am pleased to see that the hotel met with your expectations for the purpose of this trip and we hope to welcome you again in the future

Chester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 11 June 2014

This is the first time i have ever felt the need to review a hotel, and what can I say about this hotel, well it would have been the best hotel I have ever had the pleasure of staying at if it wasnt for the......

Empty rubber wrapper in the wardrobe (seriously what class of woman are you bringing here for a romantic interlude)
the (what looked like blood stain) on the carpet,
the constant feeling that something really sinister had happened in the room,
the what can only be described as sea gulls raping each other noise eminating from the alley that backed my room.
The really weird smell that lingered in the entire hotel.
Quite simply the only thing missing from this hotel was a young kid bombing around the corridors on a small tricycle.
I spent most of the night with the single duvet not covering my feet and barely covering my nipples praying I didn't hear the word reeeeeedruuuuuum as i would have been out of there quicker than you could have said freaky damn hotel.
I would however seriously concider staying at this hotel in the future if say i was thinking about commiting suicide.
They actually should think about doing Shining based weekend breaks at this place (minus the grand ball room etc) as it is an ideal location.

All this said we needed a place to sleep hungover after a gig and for the money it did exactly what it said on the tin even if we spent most of the night fearing death......
I suppose alarm bells should have been ringing with the cost of the rooms being so low.

Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
4 Thank jon w

Reviewed 10 June 2014

The rooms are in a terrible state, threadbare carpets, doors missing from wardrobes, far to hot and the window will only open about 2 inches.
This hotel is extremely overpriced, stay here if you want to be depressed.
Des, Dublin

• Stayed June 2014
1 Thank Desmond12345
Birmbritannia, General Manager at Britannia Hotel Birmingham, responded to this review, 10 June 2014

Please accept my apologies that the hotel did not meet with your expectations

Having checked in our handover diary, I cannot see that any complaints such as this have been made at the hotel.

I do wish you had made your dis satisfaction known to the hotel at the time of your stay as this would have allowed us the opportunity to rectify any problems thus enabling you to have a much more comfortable and enjoyable stay