“Cancelled booking, great duty manager”

Britannia Hotel Birmingham
Ranked #110 of 118 Hotels in Birmingham
Reviewed 28 June 2014

Two days before I was due to arrive in Birmingham for an important business conference, my booking here was CANCELLED BY EMAIL! No doubt the reservations manager decided she could re-sell my room at a higher price, or had simply double-booked the accommodation.

Total disaster! And, because there were a number of conferences in town, it was almost impossible to find another centrally-located hotel at such short notice. Furthermore, I had already arranged for deliveries to arrive at the Britannia - several boxes of magazines, stands for our conference display, a lot of stuff that had already been despatched with Parcelforce and couldn't be recalled.

But, my bacon was saved by the Duty Manager - Mo. He's a great problem-solver who sorted everything out and enabled me to attend the conference with everything I needed. I rang up the hotel absolutely fuming about the cancelled room, but I couldn't stay angry at someone who was so helpful in a really practical useful way.

Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business
Birmbritannia, General Manager at Britannia Hotel Birmingham, responded to this reviewResponded 8 July 2014

Thank you for your kind and positive reveiw.

I shall certainly pass your comments and thanks onto Mo, who i know will be equally pleased,

Reviewed 26 June 2014

The location of this hotel is perfect. And that's about it if we talk about perfection. It is not a bad place, but some things need some fixing or were just hillarious, like the curtains in conference rooms or the almost raw potato I got for my first dinner there. The British should really get some education on plumbing systems. Old carpets everywhere, of course. The food was average. Beds are comfy and you can get a decent sleep if you get a non street side room. I think it's not worth the price.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business

Thank you for taking the time to write your review

I am pleased to see that the hotel met with your expectations for the purpose of your trip and we hope to welcome you again in the future

Reviewed 24 June 2014

This hotel has only two advantages - its location and the price. It is situated in the city centre, it is easy to reach main places of the city.
Other things are not client friendly: we didn't find the soap in the bathroom, the carpet and windows were unclean. At night there was a noise from other rooms.
There is a strange smell on the ground floor near the reception - incredibly bad perfume which they use for carpets.
However the staff was helpful - they brought us soap and helped to reach taxi in the early morning.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business

Thank you for taking the time to write your review

Both your positive and negative comments have been taken on board, and will be passed onto the relevant Managers for improvements to be made where deemed necessary.

Reviewed 17 June 2014

I was there for 8 nights. The hotel is in the middle of everything, very close to the bullring with lots of restaurant, next door to the Primark clothes department store, Movie Theatre opposite, 3 minutes to the New St . train station and lots of banks.

Also so close to other entertainment and museum, etc.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank Minatus

Reviewed 16 June 2014 via mobile

I'm currently staying here on (16th and 17th June 2014). I'm writing this review at 3am in the morning of the first night as I just can't sleep with the noise outside!

The single glazed rusty window does not close and as the other guests have their windows open and are watching TV. I can hear it as though the TV is on in my room.

The water bottle I bought has now gone warm as there is no fridge in the room.

I have a single bed which is definitely knackered. (Squeaking every time I move) and the room is MUCH smaller than other hotels I have stayed in.

There's odd stains all over the walls. Bedsheets are clean though.

VERY dated. Only one lift comes to Floor 7. And you'll be lucky if it comes within 5 minutes.

The first time I have booked a hotel without reading reviews and definitely will be the last.

One of the staff members was threatening to call the police earlier as the were 2 guests swearing and shouting the place down in the lobby. (No idea what happened there)

If Managment is reading this. I am in room 718. I think the hotel needs some serious improvement and I would be glad to take a refund so I can have a peaceful night tomorrow!

• Stayed: June 2014
3  Thank Usman P

Dear Guest

Please accept my sincere apologies that the hotel failed to meet with your expectations

As I would advise any guest, should you experience any issues during your stay or wish to raise any concerns you feel should be brought to our attention, there is a Duty Manager available 24 hours per day who will gladly assist you in making your stay a much more comfortable and enjoyable one enabling you to leave the hotel with a more favourable view.

Reviewed 16 June 2014 via mobile

Me and my wife stayed here last minute extra night stay in birmingham
and slap bang in centre
friendly staff ,
Clean comfy room
clean bathroom
very comfy bed
slept like a log :) would stay again but woudn't pay over the odds
mrs and mrs lee

• Stayed: December 2013

Reviewed 15 June 2014

The location is perfect and that's where the perfection stops. Corridors are 'scary', it's like watching the haunted mansion with Eddie Murphy. Bed was spotless but bathroom was dirty, bath was full of hairs from previous occupants. Reception staff were rude and arrogant with disgusting attitudes. My cousin was paying for the hotel for me and my boyfriend but the receptionist shouted at my cousin that there were no guests allowed in room and made him feel awkward and uncomfortable. Very noisy and the windows were that rusty that they wouldn't shut, also were not double glazed! Beds were uncomfy and the 'double room' was 2 single beds pushed together so me and my boyfriend ended up sleeping separately as the beds came apart whilst sleeping. Would definitely not recommend this hotel although I don't think our experience was as bad as others on here. Was a last minute stay and definitely not worth the money. Id rather pay the same to stay in an ibis which is much smaller. After reading 100s of bad reviews all the hotel staff have to say is 'sorry'. Never mind sorry do something about your disgusting 1800s style hotel!

• Stayed: June 2014